Seized Stihl MS250 C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboberg

Reaction score
Hi guys, I purchased a 2008 model Stihl MS 250 C saw for $50 bucks on craigslist from a guy who let his neighbor borrow it. The neighbor put gas without oil into the chainsaw and the engine siezed on it. He took it to repair shop and they said part was $196 to fix. However, I asked him if it needed a piston/cylinder rebuild kit and he couldn't tell me. He told me he thought it was an external part. I figured at $50 bucks the saw looked pretty new and at the very least could be a good parts saw. Any tips on where to start on repairing this guy? I don't mind spending a little money on it... But I don't want to spend more than it is worth...Thanks!

Hi guys, I purchased a 2008 model Stihl MS 250 C saw for $50 bucks on craigslist from a guy who let his neighbor borrow it. The neighbor put gas without oil into the chainsaw and the engine siezed on it. He took it to repair shop and they said part was $196 to fix. However, I asked him if it needed a piston/cylinder rebuild kit and he couldn't tell me. He told me he thought it was an external part. I figured at $50 bucks the saw looked pretty new and at the very least could be a good parts saw. Any tips on where to start on repairing this guy? I don't mind spending a little money on it... But I don't want to spend more than it is worth...Thanks!

Take off the muffler. T-27 torx head. Look at the piston and see how bad is hurt. Post a pic of it so we can see it. Those are a clamshell design and the cylinders are expensive for them. Don't turn the engine over more than you have to, to prevent further damage. You might have transfer on the cylinder and it might be savageable. Not sure what external part it would be but start by looking at the piston and posting it.

Cracked it open...ring is melted to the piston (I think it is fried)! Too bad because the saw is in perfect shape and hardly used other than the toasted engine. I guess nobody has an MS250 engine laying around???:cry:

Pictures of the cylinder would help.Most likely the cylinder will clean up OK.My guess is a piston and rings will put it back in business.Check Bailey's (they did have some on close-out, #PKS025, but they might be sold out)or give Fish a try.He usually has quite a few Stihl parts.
It will be a good learning experience and shouldn't cost too much to get it running again.

Check your PM. If you don't want to do that, then pull the cylinder off. If it has aluminum transfer on the cylinder it will clean up with some acid and then put a new piston in it. Do a search and there are lots of threads that will help you.

I decided to use it as a parts saw. I may still rebuild it because I took it apart today and the cylinder looked perfect. The piston and rings just need to be replaced. I decided to go with a new MS 250 anyhow....Cut a half a cord today...awesome fun cutting little saw!:chainsaw:

Back