Self Loader - Need Opinions Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the rate. That's at-the-landing prices. So, no, no trucking out of that

Saw logs are the upper end of that ($30 per ton).

The only exception is for unusually high quality logs (straight, no spiral checking, 10 inch top etc) then the price is $60-70 per ton. This represents less than 10% of everything cut.

The elevation and moisture in this state are not to the loggers' advantage. The growing season is short and the rainfall is lacking.

Craig Sparrow is a bit of an odd fella, but he's straight and only business. He and his brother own Western Equipment & Truck in Greeley. http://www.wetrucks.com/

He buys and sells all over the country. I doubt he's got a self loader in his yard, but I'm certain he can get one for you

That's the rate. That's at-the-landing prices. So, no, no trucking out of that

Saw logs are the upper end of that ($30 per ton).

The only exception is for unusually high quality logs (straight, no spiral checking, 10 inch top etc) then the price is $60-70 per ton. This represents less than 10% of everything cut.

The elevation and moisture in this state are not to the loggers' advantage. The growing season is short and the rainfall is lacking.

How many tons per cord? We get $1400 per load for firewood tree length, around 9 cords or somewhere around 20 tons.
Saw logs are done by bd ft. I forget the rate, I don't handle much on the lumber side of things.
Edit... just curious.

Maybe you could work out a rent/test agreement with the seller of the truck, at least getting your wood moved. Have a good chance to check things over that way as well. Worth a shot seems like.

That's a great idea 1270. Maybe I will bring that up.

The other option is to offer the negotiated $16,000 minus the engine repair of $5000. I doubt highly they would go that low however. Then again I have nothing to lose in asking.

I took my CDL test about an hour ago and passed all three sections. Now I just need a DOT physical and I will have my permit.

The written tests are pretty easy. The big thing when doing the driven test is the pre-trip. Outside inspection, inside inspection, and the 3 part brake check.

I did mine in winter, was about -20* that day. I barely got to the tractors drive tires when I was told I to get in the truck, was too cold to be standing outside haha.

The driving test isn't bad. It will be even easier with the log reach as it tracks much better, though backing up is a bit screwy if your used to a normal semi truck.

I'm not used to any semi. I've moved trucks on the landing after I've loaded them plenty of times and I drove a box dump truck for a week one time two years ago, but I've got no "feel" for the shifting or anything else. It should be an adventure.

I think I am going to do what 1270 suggested and see if they will let me haul my two loads with the truck and see where it goes from there. Maybe I will buy the thing after all.

The written tests are pretty easy. The big thing when doing the driven test is the pre-trip. Outside inspection, inside inspection, and the 3 part brake check.

I did mine in winter, was about -20* that day. I barely got to the tractors drive tires when I was told I to get in the truck, was too cold to be standing outside haha.

The driving test isn't bad. It will be even easier with the log reach as it tracks much better, though backing up is a bit screwy if your used to a normal semi truck.

That's exactly what people have been telling me. Maybe I can schedule the driving test for a -30º
morning! haha!

I think I am going to do what 1270 suggested and see if they will let me haul my two loads with the truck and see where it goes from there. Maybe I will buy the thing after all.
I have my cdl permit as well, you still need someone to ride along with you and it doesn't hurt to help you learn the shifting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It will be a challenge to find someone to ride along. Everyone that has a CDL has to work. Joy riding isn't really in the cards.

It will be a challenge to find someone to ride along. Everyone that has a CDL has to work. Joy riding isn't really in the cards.
You may have to coin up the cash to do the school or go sign on with someone for a while to get it done. I'm in the same boat but we have two trucks just don't have the time for me to learn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They don't offer a couple day course?

Here they have a day or two for a few hundred $$. Pretty much is use of thier truck, a test giver and some practice time.

I went through a 6 week course, 2 weeks in classroom, 4 weeks driving. Was fun. Cost I think was 7 or 8k, but the GI Bill paid it.

I'm not used to any semi. I've moved trucks on the landing after I've loaded them plenty of times and I drove a box dump truck for a week one time two years ago, but I've got no "feel" for the shifting or anything else. It should be an adventure.
That may be a good thing. Not sure how the tests are there but here if you shift without a clutch 3 times it's auto failure. Any real driver doesn't use the clutch except to take off but for the test you have to relearn how to shift and not grind gears or it's auto failure too....double clutching will wear you out and it's almost impossible to do once you master shifting without a clutch.

Our local test facility has a deal that for $300 you can rent there truck and an instructor for 2 hours. They go over every part of the pretrip, maneuverability, and driving sections. Then you pay for your actual test. Guaranteed to pass if you do that. They also offer the 3 or 4 week school for a few thousand dollars.

Back