selling rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
does any body sell rounds to any one that asks and if you do how do you figure the price. i have a guy coming to pick up some 4' rounds so i was just wondering

Cord Volume

does any body sell rounds to any one that asks and if you do how do you figure the price. i have a guy coming to pick up some 4' rounds so i was just wondering

Wikipidia

The cord is a unit of measure of dry volume used in Canada and the United States to measure firewood and pulpwood. One cord, also commonly called a full cord or bush cord, is defined as 128 cubic feet (3.62 m3), [1], corresponding to a woodpile 4 feet wide × 4 feet high × 8 feet long. In Canada it is legally defined by Measurement Canada.[2] In the United States, the cord is defined by statute in most states. The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology Handbook 130, section 2.4.1.2 [3] defines a cord and provides uniform regulations related to the sale of fireplace and stove wood. In the metric system, wood is usually measured in steres or cubic metres: 1 stere = 1 m³ ≈ 0.276 cords.

Other non-legal definitions of firewood volume include standing cord, kitchen cord, running cord, face cord, fencing cord, country cord, long cord, and rick. A face cord is defined as 1/3 of a full cord. It is therefore typically a pile of stacked wood with logs (split or unsplit) 16 inches in depth x 4 feet high x 8 feet long. According to the Weights and Measures Act in Canada, the only true definable cord is a full cord and all other fractions thereof.

The name "cord" probably comes from the use of a cord or string to measure it.[4]

--------------

1 cord = 128 cubic feet 4x4x8 feet.

Now to figure out cubic feet with rounds....

be right back...couple of links to calculate cubic feet for Cylinders

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

Volume of a Round
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/waterops/redesign/calculators/volcalchtm.htm

Formula:

3.1417 x R² x D
= Cubic Feet

Using above Formula - (and you get what you pay for....)

Example- 8' long x 4' Round

3.1417 x R² x D
= Cubic Feet

3.14 x( 2'squared=4) x 8' long

3.14 x 4' x 8' = 100.48 cubic feet

100.48 cubic feet = .785 Cord.

4' round 8' long = 100.48 cubic feet

4' round 9' long = 113 cubic feet.

4' round 10' long = 125 cubic feet

1 cord = 128 cubic feet 4x4x8 feet.

4' round 11' long = 138 cubic feet.

Last edited:
It's kinda like selling someone crude oil instead of gasoline. It's cheaper because it hasn't been worked as much. You'' need to figure out how much time/energy you have invested in the rounds, how much more time/energy it would take you to split/stack, and current retail value per cord, then come up with a down-the-middle price by adding/subtracting time/energy.

Assuming log supply was no concern, I'd be happy to sell rounds for cheaper all day long if I didn't have to do that much splitting/stacking which seems to be harder on my body/takes longest.

What we do...

We have a local saw mill about 15 miles away that buys cedars plus soft woods, well what he calls soft woods, ash, soft maple, elm, for $75 a cord. They have to be 9' or 54" inches to length. He looks at it and does some measuring, unloads, then writes out a check. He shreds or chips them up for turkey beddings or something, not real sure. This load below should fetch about $300. Not sure it is the best return for us, but we have so much wood on the ground along with oaks, hickory and other hard woods, just need to get rid of some of it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
We have a local saw mill about 15 miles away that buys cedars plus soft woods, well what he calls soft woods, ash, soft maple, elm, for $75 a cord. They have to be 9' or 54" inches to length. He looks at it and does some measuring, unloads, then writes out a check. He shreds or chips them up for turkey beddings or something, not real sure. This load below should fetch about $300. Not sure it is the best return for us, but we have so much wood on the ground along with oaks, hickory and other hard woods, just need to get rid of some of it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Pics.

Wish you were closer.

I am looking to find a load, just haven't figured it out yet.

Bad return

At $300 that is only four cord on the trailer. Where I am you can get $150 to $175 a cord for mixed wood. You could at least double your money selling it as firewood if the market is there.

As for selling rounds I would love to do that. A lot less work I could still sell it for $150 a cord if it is oak.

Don't know what to tell you about the rounds, but holy crap, look at the saw list you have!!!!:jawdrop:

TOTALY awesome!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

At $300 that is only four cord on the trailer. Where I am you can get $150 to $175 a cord for mixed wood. You could at least double your money selling it as firewood if the market is there.

As for selling rounds I would love to do that. A lot less work I could still sell it for $150 a cord if it is oak.

That is about what we guessed it at, 4 cords according to the way this guy measures and pays. Wood here in Cental Missouri typically sells for $50 a pickup load, alot of guys doing $125 a cord. The wood we are hauling to the mill could be mixed in with oak and hikory and sold as mixed wood, but by the time we cut it 16" - 18", split and pile it, then find someone that needs wood, the local paper and Craigslist have alot of sellers this year, we figured for this year we will just haul it to the mill and not mess anymore with it. My FIL has already hauled two other loads, different trailer, and we have enough for a few more loads.

We are keeping the hickory and oaks for our OWBs, will split sometime and make a next years pile. This is what we have left on this years pile 1/25/2009, looks the same minus the snow. Two of us use it, and we hope it will keep for next year.

attachment.php

Another load from January

This load brought in $200 at the same mill. Next year we might try to sell as firewood.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Around here at $350/cord, that's a $1400 load split and dumped on a driveway!

Back