Selling up/stolen equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Probably only useful to the couple of members here in aus.

Been a rough month for me. Got pulled up by the DOT heavy vehicle inspectors who bent me over a barrel for mostly minor stuff. That ate up a lot of my savings, added to the repair work they ordered done I couldn't drive my truck for a couple weeks and had it parked up. Spent most of what I had put aside for yearly bills which all arrive this month (registrations, insurance, taxes). Lost a tonne of work from being off the road. Went out to the truck today in a surprisingly optimistic mood ready to put the final touches on the work and get her back on the road to find that it was broken into. All gear lost, 200t, snellerised 201T, 241cm, 3 x 441 mtronics, masterminded 660, couple husky 346's, wraptor etc etc.

There's nothing left in the kitty to buy new gear and I wasn't insured. Even if I had gear I don't have the cash to pay all the yearly bills anyhow. Truck and chipper are now on the market. It's a 99 NPR 400 low miles with a 12 cube bin, great toolboxes, excellent service history and just this week had about $5k spent on redoing the brakes. Chipper is a 250XP with the 120 turbo perkins which has also been well looked after and has had all the major work done over the last couple years; disk bearings, clutch, roller bearings. Both are in great condition, registered and ready to work with not a dollar to spend. Askind AUD$35k for both, comes with signage and company name if wanted, also with business number and advertising which never stops ringing, plenty of leads and work to go right away. PM if interested.

Man that really stinks... are you certain you have to sell it all? Don't think you can pull out of the bind?

No sense spending a year working to get back to where I was last month. Makes good sense to quit while I'm not too far behind and find some other work that will see me earning from day 1.

Just curious, what all did the DOT get you for? I've heard stories about DOT occifers being "Richard craniums" for stupid stuff like a marker light burnt out, rock chips in the windshield, etc.

it's aus, so we dont have DOT, we have RMS. They pulled me up and spent 3 hours going over the the truck. Overloaded which I need to do a court appearance for, then a bunch of minor stuff; licence plate not reflecting enough light, one brake light out, step on the drivers side door cracked, one bolt missing on licence plate. Killer was slightly too much travel on brake pedal. They measured it. Brakes work just fine but you're only allowed just so much travel on the pedal, and it's a very small amount. Bringing it up to spec required new hubs, shoes, wheel cylinders, master cylinder etc etc plus all the ancillaries for that work; seals, studs, bolts.... $5K+ in parts, many of which were not in stock and needed to be ordered in.

To add insult to injury, they laid out mats to stand on while they were writing up the paperwork so their feet wouldn't get tired. Had to move their vehicle about 2 hours into the inspection to be able to stay in the shade so they wouldn't have to stand on the soft mats in the sun while typing up the reports. Felt real sorry for the poor guys having to be out of the air conditioning.

So you don't have to load the freakin things in the morning.

And, locked should be good enuff.

Obviously, trying to save five minutes in the morning is expensive. Obviously, locked is not good enuff.
Not trying to start anything, I just could not sleep at nite not having everything locked up tight in the shop at our secured yard.
Jeff

I agree jefflovstrom. As far as getting your stuff stolen; dam, I've always thought of Australia as almost a perfect place.
That stinks. I hate theifs.

Total **** sorry to hear your misfortune especially that it came from thieves and cops! I was soo lucky when I had my big trucks the same did not happen.

Latest posts

Back