Semi chisel vs chisel on longer bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How would full comp semi chisel perform vs full skip chisel for working up bigger downed trees? 36" bar on a 390xp. Looking for a bit more debris resistance and would be less scared to use the bigger bar if I don't completely wreck the chain every time I use it

Slower cutting but lasts longer, same as on shorter bars. You’ll want some hook in the cutters and lower the rakers a little to get it to bite in. If you get it to where it’s a bit aggressive starting the cut, you won’t be on the dogs so hard mid-cut
What would be a good setting for the rakers in this scenario?

I run a full skip chisel square ground on my 36 to 42 “ with ..035 rakers but that’s in clean wood not good in dirty wood
I'm dealing with very dirty wood... Having to sharpen semi chisel every tank at .025 on a smaller saw, and it requires alot of force to get it to bite too
I was thinking .040 maybe

The wood is "picks" from a tree service dump with a mini excavator. Its rolled around in the mud and pea gravel.

On the smaller saws and bars I'm running full comp chisel except for one Stihl 032 saw running 18" 3/8 semi. That old Stihl has put the other saws on the sideline in a hurry, spend more time sharpening than cutting with chisel chains.

I have only one loop of 3/8 skip chisel for the 36" bar. It's Archer chain but gets absolutely murdered in any sort of dirty wood (even "clean" wood) and I've used it like 5 times and it's down to 50% life. Only use it when absolutely necessary.

I got a 108 dl loop of archer fc with a var purchase hope it doesn't fail that bad that fast
It's definitely soft.

I do like how it files. There was a nail strike somewhere in the mix.

In it's defense, I really have to whack it down and make sure everything is perfect get it to cut straight, seems to be the nature of skip on long bars tho. I'd say it is about the same hardness as most Oregon chain.

Yea I was debating on oregon 404 063 full skip micro chisle and stihl 404 063 full skip on the 36" bar. I started a thread a few days ago. I ran oregon my whole life without issue but the chain in question is made in brazil

How would full comp semi chisel perform vs full skip chisel for working up bigger downed trees? 36" bar on a 390xp. Looking for a bit more debris resistance and would be less scared to use the bigger bar if I don't completely wreck the chain every time I use it
Out here on the PNW, we use full skip on 36" bars most of the time.

Running a 390XP with 36" bar is right in that saw's wheelhouse. I would have no problem running full-house chain on that -- semi-chisel or full chisel. I don't know that you need to go semi-skip or full skip chain at that bar length unless you have very hard wood. . Give it a shot. Can't hurt. And, yes, the semi-chisel will stay sharper longer.

I was quoted 56$ for the oregon micro chisle and 63$ for the stihl for 36" loop full skip. I guess big wallets for big bars
I bought it in 25' roll to save $ when it was on sale . If your running several saws with a certain chain it's definitely more economical to get a roll.

I'm dealing with very dirty wood... Having to sharpen semi chisel every tank at .025 on a smaller saw, and it requires alot of force to get it to bite too
I was thinking .040 maybe
Find some semi chiz full skip...
Does that exist?

Forget full comp all together, frankly, as you will be sharpening every 15min. Been there, done that

Find some semi chiz full skip...
Does that exist?

Forget full comp all together, frankly, as you will be sharpening every 15min. Been there, done that

For Stihl 33RMF semi chisel skip I could only find it pre-packaged in 28" bar that Stihl provides. So I bought a 100' roll of 33RMF and made loops for 36", 25" and 20" bars. Saved money making them and did not have to spend money having a store make them.

Latest posts

Back