I got a 16'' bar for my MS 261 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You totally missed the point.
No I did not. A 16" bar is a good choice for the saw.

I run 20" but that is so I can run the same bar and chain on the 024, 026, 034, 044, 440, 046, 064, 066, and 660.

If it was not for that I would run a 16" which I have ran on the 660.

Like I said, many have a little kick thoroughly confused with kickback. Fast saws with short bars are most likely to create a violent kickback. Anyway...

It doesn't matter how big you are, or how fast your reflexes are. You are not quick enough.

Protective safety gear might save your face from the telltale cut, but not your jugular. Proper body position goes a long way...

No I did not. A 16" bar is a good choice for the saw.

I run 20" but that is so I can run the same bar and chain on the 024, 026, 034, 044, 440, 046, 064, 066, and 660.

If it was not for that I would run a 16" which I have ran on the 660.
This is not about a 16" bar, this is about an 8 pin sprocket on an already fast saw with a 7.

Like I said, many have a little kick thoroughly confused with kickback. Fast saws with short bars are most likely to create a violent kickback. Anyway...

It doesn't matter how big you are, or how fast your reflexes are. You are not quick enough.

Protective safety gear might save your face from the telltale cut, but not your jugular. Proper body position goes a long way...

You explain it. I quit.

What physics?
It’s the same amount of power being carried out over a shorter distance with small bars. It’s the same logic behind why a saw cuts faster with a shorter bar than a longer bar, more power over a given distance.

I don’t know the exact increase in kickback force from a 20 to a 16, and I don’t feel like calculating it now. I’ll just say my modified CS620P has noticeably more power behind a 20” bar than it does a 24” bar, than another noticeable decrease to a 28” bar from the 24. Kickback force will have that same logic behind it

This is not about a 16" bar, this is about an 8 pin sprocket on an already fast saw with a 7.
No, not at all. Take a look at any comment I have made. I have never once commented about a sprocket. Review what was said the conversation and debate began when you said.....................

Recipe for extreme kickback; fast chain with short bar...

No mention of a sprocket just the length of the bar.

Lol..my analogy isn't flawed at all.

It's simple physics.
Well let's take a gander at what you said......

I can't name one person that cut themselves with a 36" bar.

I can name a bunch that got hit with a 14-16" bar...why ? You're closer to it.

So using your thought process more people harm themselves with a 14" or 16" bar than a 36" because of the bar length? I tell you what, on Friday why don't you call 10 saws shops and ask them in the last 12 months how many 14" and 16" bars they have sold. Then ask them how many 36" bars they have sold. Which number do you think will be higher?

In North America how many hours each year do you think are spent by folks running a 14" or 16" bar compared to how many hours are spent by folks running a 36" bar? Please ponder that. Do you know why you are more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle collision within a few miles from your home versus a greater distance away? It is because you spend more time close to home. Folks are more likely to be hurt by a 14/16" bar than a 36" bar because there is a larger amount a hours spent running a 14/16" bar.

It is grade school math and that is why your analogy is flawed.

No, it's just worse with shorter bars. There's plenty of physics at play as well. I'm surprised for someone claiming to be a teacher you can't figure something this simple out.
Bars do not cause kickback. I am not sure how much more simple I can be. The kid is no more at risk of a kickback running a 16" as he is running a 24". Operator error is operator error no matter the tool.

You folks are all hung up on bar length and not a one of you has commented on his choice of chain. The choice of chain does indeed have a direct impact on the chances of kickback occurring.

Take a gander at what chain he is running...........ya all seemed to have missed that.

Here is the deal. I suspect most of you that use a saw for a living don't poke the nose in to anything just as instinctively as you breath. I sold fire wood for years before I ever heard of a chain brake.

True story. Korean man( not that it matters) bought the store at the top of the hill. He was cleaning up a Bradford Pear that had blown down. He had on shorts and flip flops. He had a Husky 55 , 455, whatever.
And, after he cut a limb he stood there with the throttle wide open looking for his next cut. WIDE OPEN , seriously. Craziest thing I think I ever saw, with a saw.

So, my point. Keep a spinning chain nose out of anything just as naturally as you breath.

haven't missed what chain he's running. Kick back can happen no matter what chain he's running, to a lesser extent with some, but it still equals a face or arm full of chainsaw.
The choice of chain has a poo ton more to do with the severity of a kickback then the length of the bar.

Latest posts

Back