Sewing/Patching raingear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the mainline rip a hole in my rain pants and I want to patch it before it snags on something else. Anybody got a good method. The pants are the black Nesco kind.

Ya might try a chunk of inner tube (bike, car, etc) and coat around the rip and one side of the patch with rubber cement. Let them both dry to a tacky feel, and stick them together.

Make sure both surfaced are cleaned and roughed up a bit too before cementing.

Glue a patch on, maybe go with something a little more flexible of needed, like a scrap of cordura from some old chaps, than sew then sew the edges, since the glue never lasts.

Try the glue you use on PVC water pipe. Be sure you use the solvent first to prepare the surface then glue a patch on. Best if sewed also.

Move to California and go on welfare. You won't ever need your rain gear again. If you are illegal then we will pay you to go to college. Just don't bother looking for a job, there aren't any.

For those who don't live in California, or for those who do and are beginning to wonder why...

DREAM Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, back on topic....I've never had much luck with any kind of permanent patch on rain gear. Sometimes Shoe-goo will do it or d-tape on both sides of the rip but nothing ever stayed on for too long.

Of course me, being a compassionate person, likes the dream act. It makes sense to me. But, I listen to NPR every day so must be brain washed.

Of the various tapes, I have found that Gorilla Tape lasts the longest on raingear, but it won't last long enough.

If that is the rubber type raingear, I'd use some kind of sticky glue and patch. Beware, if using a sewing machine, various sticky glues will clog up your needle a bit. If you can get a needle through.

I got a friend to use an old treadle machine to sew through my Helly Hansens. Treadle machines will sew through heavy stuff. I have a hard time working feet on the treadly while feeding fabric throught the needle.
It takes coordination.

Thanks for the ideas. My girlfriend came up with the idea of patching it with a thermarest patch.

I'm not sayin that's a bad idea (patch the hole and keep you warm for a while) but thermarest pads do look one helluva lot like a maxi-pad, just sayin

The PVC pipe glue really does work. I discovered it when I stuck my rain gear together while laying water line for our local water district.

The PVC pipe glue really does work. I discovered it when I stuck my rain gear together while laying water line for our local water district.

Yup, PVC glue and primer could glue the moon to the sky. Good stuff for sure. . . I don't like the smell though -- gives me a headache every time.

Another goody is "contact cement" for gluing down counter-tops. That stuff don't mess around either.

Yup, PVC glue and primer could glue the moon to the sky. Good stuff for sure. . . I don't like the smell though -- gives me a headache every time.

Another goody is "contact cement" for gluing down counter-tops. That stuff don't mess around either.

yezzir, super glue aint #### compared to that stuff, also gluing together new pipe work under a cramped existing deck makes for a pretty savage vision quest and a splitting headache :dizzy:

Back