Shade tree crown reduction? root stimulator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be great if a company with the research resources like Barlett Trees were to take on your idea of the sink holes and run a 5-10yr test project to see just what happens with some of the more common street trees in soil profiles where it could be possible the vertical drills might enduce deeper rooting, with control trees in the plot with no drills similar to their root barrier and concrete footpath test from a while back.

It would not be proof of the application in all conditions but might give many of us much food for thought, and that has to be a good thing.

Wouldn't it be great if a company with the research resources like Barlett Trees were to take on your idea of the sink holes and run a 5-10yr test project
Great idea Sean; I'm going to bartlett labs tomorrow and will see if they have anything similar underway, and propose it if they do not. I've been trying for a long time to get the BMP's to include fracturing the soil outside the hole, but data talks much louder than suggestions do.

tom showed a slide in his talk of a tree with sinker roots, and attested to the stability they provide. that will be my starting point, but it will be a gradual process--who will fund it, for starters. :confused:

I am all about tree preservation, dont get me wrong...Tell me how mychrorhizae will prevent or further rectify a situation involving a bent over birch tree? Cutting the top off to a decent lateral will allow it to live, for the time being, with relatively decent aesthetics. The same goes for any tree, I have cut 50 feet out of the top of a white pine, again back to a decent lateral, and it is still alive. ( this was done as hazard mitigation, ground was unstable, decay present, high target, but client wanted to save it.)
I do agree with the soil fungi treatments for root stimulation, and this will help adress uprooting concerns but once the tree has been damaged (such as hurricane ike or the recent ice storm in the northeast), it is my duty as an arborist to save the tree if the client wants by whatever means possible.
I like the idea of guying up a tree and drastically reducing it. Not sure if the guying would work, but in non target areas why not give it a whirl?

In this recent fatal event a mere 2" of rain in a 24 hour period is being cited as the cause of tree failure.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11769774?nclick_check=1
The tree was one of several that came down Sunday in a storm that dumped nearly 2 inches of rain in Santa Rosa in a 24-hour period.

They dont mention wind, they do mention mudslides though.

But we will never get the true facts of what really happened, 2" of rain in 24 hours isn't that much.

Last edited:
auger?

Hello again, I did a core sample and found a good layer of sand and small gravel at 6 feet deep. I`ve drilled several 1 1/2" diameter holes using 1/2" pipe with a tee handle on top hooked to a water hose. Its kind of slow going though. Any ideals of a faster way to drill a 1" to 2" hole 6 feet deep?
Shad

Latest posts

Back