Sharpen Chain Past Witness Marks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you're back that far there isn't much left - the laws of physics will answer that one for you eventually. ;) I guess it might depend on the saw in question - a big torque monster will probably start snapping teeth off once they get down that small. I don't think you could hurt anything by going "too far" though, unless the chain kerf becomes narrower than the bar thickness.

Yup to above posts ^^^, once past the marks the kerf will be narrower that the bar and probably hard on the saw too as you may try to force it, you might as well break out the handsaw :D
Sawtroll has a very good point about where breaking teeth will end up too.

My 0.02$ worth for the morning :) :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :givebeer:

:cheers:

Serge

Because of my pre beemer street motorcycle days (chains and sprockets) I retire my chains once they are back to the lines on the tooths. I figure by then the drive links are worn enought that it is not worth the extra wear on the sprocket.

I agree with the witness mark. We call those "hen's teeth" chains. Used for frozen or very dry hardwood. :cheers:

I have sharpened oregon 73lg chain past the witness marks to finish a job. When I was done bucking a dry (dead) 20" red oak into firewood rounds I checked the chain. Three cutters broke off the chain. They were dispersed through out the loop. The chain did cut very well though, even as it became a skip tooth version.

I read on oregon website not to go past the witness marks because the cutter loses its strength and will break off the chain.

Hmmmm, Seems oregon does know what there talking about!!!

But why the word "witness"??

Harrison Ford/Amish reference?

Reminds me of a few Amish jokes...........................................

Yup. Plus the fact that a saw tooth or several breaking off can turn into shrapnel.

And, like Troll said...chain isn't all that expensive.

Like I always say... If you think saftey is expensive, try having an accident :(

The intenz bar worked ok on my echo cs-3000. It is far from a pro or commercial bar. And wasn't overwhelmed with Vanguard chain. But I like the witness mark on their chains.
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back