Sharpening a chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a 372xp recently with a 20" bar and it came with a stock 3/8 chisel chain .058, I was used to sharpening my old Husky 350 with .325 chain by hand but this chain seems like it it isn't right I touched it up once so far but I think I have the angle wrong. Any help on sharpening will be appreciated. I like to do things myself, I know hand sharpening is an art.

Last edited:
I bought a 372xp recently with a 20" bar and it came with a stock 3/8 chisel chain .058, I was used to sharpening my old Husky 350 with .325 chain by hand but this chain seems like it it isn't right I touched it up once so far but I think I have the angle wrong. Any help on sharpening will be appreciated. I like to do things myself, I know hand sharpening is an art.

I assume you havethe correct file for 3/8? 7/32
The top angle can be off several degrees and you will never know it in the cut. My favorite filing "crutch" is the flat plate holders as sold everywhere that sells Oregon chain. No tricks to filing the chain.
1. The saw must be held steady, preferably not by one of your hands, big vise is nice.
2. The point of the tooth you are working on should be away fron you
3.The handle should be flat to slightly lower, never higher
4.Use the top angle stamped in the holder
5. Dont drag the file backwards.

Since you can sharpen your other chain it is unlikely you have bad technique. I think the factory chain is the "V" series and if so that could be the problem, hang it on the wall for stumps or for when the B-in-law wants to borrow a chain. Cant remember the 058 part number (050 would be 72V) The rakers are bent over on the V series, flat on top. You want the regular ole 70 series chain without the V suffix and youll be in business.

just file it to the standard round angles you are used to.

square filing takes quite a learning curve. most folks who use square chain have a square chain grinder.

sure one can file it by hand... but only if you have the patience and time.
it was taking me 15-20 minutes per chain or way too long. gave up square chain until I lucked out and scored a simington 450 square grinder.

Unless it's square chisel chain (which I doubt) it sharpens the same as your .325 with the exception of the file size. If you can do the .325 than you can do the .375 (3/8). In my opinion, 3/8's chain is easier too hand file than .325.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back