Sharpening a square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iron, I am the amateur here at this, but perhaps that means I can help (just learned it recently myself).

Most all the files used for square file are 6 sided (except the goofy). I'm using the PFERD Chislel Bit Three Square (Looks like a triangle file with flat corners). Perhaps I'll graduate to the Chisel Bit Flat like Brian, but not yet, my files resembles a round fie.

Study the sharpening angles in the Madsen's website. (I'm using Stihl RSL or RSLK I think they are the same).

As Brian & mdavlee stated, you file from the outside in, instead of the inside out. I try to picture both the top plate angle and side plate angle as being 45 degrees. (which will result in an outside top plate angle of about 20 degrees).

Holding the file at about 45 degrees for both cutters, make sure the corner of the file stays in the corner of the tooth and that the wider side of the file is flush with the top plate (no gap). As you stroke, in addition to going straight, put slight pressure toward the corner. Following the original angles is the best way to learn.

I hope this helps, and if any of you guys with more experience have any additions or corrections to what I have stated, please post them. I think I'm doing it right, but I'm just learning.

the original angles are not too good in my opinion ,just a compromise for longer service life ,but not sharp

Brian, you are right I am sure, but I mostly cut hardwood and I believe you mostly cut softwood, so longer service is important to me.

Even the Madsen's website said that most of you guys go with 40 degrees to increase cut speed, but I want it to hold up as well as RS.

Iron lives near here, so I believe he mostly cuts hardwood also.

Any other advice you could give to help us would be appreciated. I know you have been doing this for a while.

Iron, I am the amateur here at this, but perhaps that means I can help (just learned it recently myself).

Most all the files used for square file are 6 sided (except the goofy). I'm using the PFERD Chislel Bit Three Square (Looks like a triangle file with flat corners). Perhaps I'll graduate to the Chisel Bit Flat like Brian, but not yet, my files resembles a round fie.

Study the sharpening angles in the Madsen's website. (I'm using Stihl RSL or RSLK I think they are the same).

As Brian & mdavlee stated, you file from the outside in, instead of the inside out. I try to picture both the top plate angle and side plate angle as being 45 degrees. (which will result in an outside top plate angle of about 20 degrees).

Holding the file at about 45 degrees for both cutters, make sure the corner of the file stays in the corner of the tooth and that the wider side of the file is flush with the top plate (no gap). As you stroke, in addition to going straight, put slight pressure toward the corner. Following the original angles is the best way to learn.

I hope this helps, and if any of you guys with more experience have any additions or corrections to what I have stated, please post them. I think I'm doing it right, but I'm just learning.
Sounds about right Mike.. The big thing is to just get comfortable with the file..
Once the teeth are looking good, you compare your chain to a new one.. If it's faster than the factory stuff, you're doing something right..

And of course it's a hell of a lot easier for me doing that square in the garage clamped in a vice, rather than out in the field...

yes the rh cutters i can do in the field ,the lh i struggle without a vise ,i just bring 5 chains now,much easier :D

I have noticed it helps me some if i tighten the chain real tight ,then flip the brake while sharpening ,i get a better result

Couple of thoughts;
i. Work under a good light.
ii. Clamp the bar in a vise.
iii. Position yourself so your working over the same spot on the bar.
iv. Use the chain brake to hold the chain in position.
v. Keep a short piece of factory chain around to refer to the angles.
vi. Dont try to kill the chain with the file, use a light touch.

I learned using the goofy file which has a rounded edge. Line up the corner of the file into the outside corner of the tooth and use both hands so you dont wiggle the file. Your filing from the outside in, just like Mikes video shows. Remember, light touch.

You learned that lesson quickly that day didn't you;)
Yup...
And that goes right back to why it's important to not just know "what" to do, but to also know "why" you're doing it...
And never stop learning or trying new things...
The best way to learn is by doing... Then when you run into an issue, you can at least ask questions and speak the same language as those who been down the same path before you...

Yup...
And that goes right back to why it's important to not just know "what" to do, but to also know "why" you're doing it...
And never stop learning or trying new things...
The best way to learn is by doing... Then when you run into an issue, you can at least ask questions and speak the same language as those who been down the same path before you...

I learned a lot on the old race saws site. DC, tom fales Jr, and the helsels.

Latest posts

Back