Sharpening after hitting a rock.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just sharing the little I know cutting our hardwoods there are lots of blokes that know more than me about chain.
I've learnt a lot about chain reading on the internet's from the guys that are into play/race chain IMHO doing that teaches you all you need to know about chain. For fun I've made some fast chains and snapped a few removing to much material lol
My dad was a pro faller in hardwoods that's who I learnt the importance of keeping ya chain uniform from.
I should get a vid of him filing he's only filed a chain about a million times lol
Great idea,

Really goo
I can trash a chain as quick as anyone lol was full of white ant **** and piss ant's had taken corse sand up into it making nests.
And must of hit something lost a cutter.

View attachment 934544View attachment 934545

Really good to see it happens to the experienced too. It’s so easy to think the challenges that knock me for 10 are not only my frustration. In my profession as a wood carver people see what I carve and think it’s effortless, yet that’s only because I have messed up in every way imaginable hundreds of times..

Like chain sharpening, watching a competent sharpener sharpen chain is almost soul destroying when the inexperienced do it themselves. Great video and great to see it’s not all long clean chips and warp speed cuts, thanks Rogue.

Does anyone else find the longest part of sharpening chain is when it’s new and you want to shape it from its factory grind to round file? This had so much gullet in it (3/8picco) and really poorly done, many teeth were completely dull - I suppose what can you expect if you chuck chain into a cardboard box, it’s like chucking sharp knives into a drawer together..

I tried to take of as little as possible but it’s a pain. FE7F354F-800B-4E71-B780-90612FCFD0D4.jpeg

Really goo

Really good to see it happens to the experienced too. It’s so easy to think the challenges that knock me for 10 are not only my frustration. In my profession as a wood carver people see what I carve and think it’s effortless, yet that’s only because I have messed up in every way imaginable hundreds of times..

Like chain sharpening, watching a competent sharpener sharpen chain is almost soul destroying when the inexperienced do it themselves. Great video and great to see it’s not all long clean chips and warp speed cuts, thanks Rogue.
I knew what I was in for cutting that rubbish I put an old crap chain on. If that was in the bush cutting firewood I'd walk past it lol

I have heard of Stihl's demo also but it was half one side vs full on other side. As Phibert said, that is still a 'set' chain. I had a bad batch of Windsor chain at 63 by 3/8 that I was snapping new cutters off a couple 33" chains. that still looked true minus 3 teeth on one side and one or two gone on the other. I had to pull them both and put on a worn down Stihl that was a rare one that made it down to close to even cutters. Felling mechanical for property development) Without a bit of free hand on the depth gauges, it was a bit mild for me but 10 times better than the other ones.
Think the Windsor cut straight enough for that size wood but it had no efficacy at all.

3 or 4 teeth a side you say???

Ok TOM, test that..haha
I might even have a chain hanging in my shed that I used untill all the cutters were gone on one side , I naturally file a little heavier on one side so that side snaps off first when the teeth are past the witness marks and the other side isn't, when the number of teeth starts getting low I lower the depth gauges even more to keep it cutting straight, It is surprising how well a chain will cut with buggerall teeth left on it, and just goes to show how most teeth on a full comp chain aren't doing anything a lot of the time.

Does anyone else find the longest part of sharpening chain is when it’s new and you want to shape it from its factory grind to round file? This had so much gullet in it (3/8picco) and really poorly done, many teeth were completely dull - I suppose what can you expect if you chuck chain into a cardboard box, it’s like chucking sharp knives into a drawer together..

I tried to take of as little as possible but it’s a pain. View attachment 934556
I had one new STIHL chain that the cutters on the left side were mostly missed by the grinder, the top plate was just barely shaped but the side plate had nor been touched by the grinding disc.That took a while to file out on a 84 drive link chain.

I had one new STIHL chain that the cutters on the left side were mostly missed by the grinder, the top plate was just barely shaped but the side plate had nor been touched by the grinding disc.That took a while to file out on a 84 drive link chain.
I admire your patients! I plan on using the Stihl file guide on the 108 drive link chain until such time that I have put a bit of shape in there. I’m so over filing, to the point where stihls file guide, even though the results are not anywhere near as good as I can do freehand, will still get the job done in far far less time. I don’t mind re profiling a new chain up to a 20”. But 36 - that’s soul destroying.

I admire your patients! I plan on using the Stihl file guide on the 108 drive link chain until such time that I have put a bit of shape in there. I’m so over filing, to the point where stihls file guide, even though the results are not anywhere near as good as I can do freehand, will still get the job done in far far less time. I don’t mind re profiling a new chain up to a 20”. But 36 - that’s soul destroying.
It took about 30 mins and just about wore out a new Stihl file to reshape that chain. If I had of been back at home that chain would have been returned to the dealer but I was very deep into the woods, about 14 miles from the closest habitat. Being in there for a 5 day stay I made the best of it and filed the chains ar required. I was milling out 24"X24"X 16' bridge beams to cross a stream, the existing bridge had collapsed from rot leaving the rough tract it is located on impassible. We had an excavator and backhoe on the blocked off end of the tract that really helped with the beam placement.

I tried to take of as little as possible but it’s a pain. View attachment 934556
Yes but mostly on the one side with many chains such as Oregon and mainly when you are looking for a deep gullet with recommended file size (Or bigger). One side isn't too bad. I use to chuck the new file after the hardest side when doing a 36" skip or 24" full comp and start fresh. Now-a-days I wipe them more frequently (3-4 strokes) on the back or my glove and they stretch out quite a bit longer. If it was day rate west coast falling for heli or high-lead in the softwoods then I would have a couple done on my time out that is preferred for the cedar.

Many other felling/slashing work in dry belts or..., then I just start with 3/16 file and hold it higher if i want and then go to 13/64 and then to the recommended 7/32. So it's just done gradually and you can start the process again if you like for all around faster filing.
Every time you are taking a narrower swath then you are removing a lot less material. More material cut then the more material gets caught under and between the rills (frills) So slower cut, more frequent cleaning or it won't last very long.

Buddy had a saw shop and a bundle cutting contract in Vancouver. The bundles wood come on the train and we would buck the packs and they would load them back up on the train for the states. He had a few ported 3120 with the 72" bar and full comp chisel-chain with a tail handle. I filed in a few new chains with 7/32 going medium deep and the rest with 1/4. It wasn't so bad as you'd think.

Bout time you chimed in
Yeah, I was eyeballing this one for a while.
I have cut with lots of guys that don't gauge the depth gauges.
Mostly they are Certified Utility Arborists (CUA) They were taught to keep the teeth even and that's how they teach.
Friend of mine, Tom, he's a BC Faller/Supervisor. Cut a lot of Seismic and pine beetle work with him in the interior.
He never used a gauge. His felling cuts are ace.

Starting to get the fever to get back cutting again soon. I had to tuck-tail back up to London for work after the first lock-down at the end of June, 2020. Residential construction has been good since. People were bored and couldn't go on holidays so they spent it on their houses.

When my 2100 was new I did a favor and cut a tree near a gated fence, a big mistake. I hit a 2” pipe inside the tree. I destroyed three teeth on a new 404 chain. My point is back then Oregon offered repair kits. I ordered repair kits to replace the worst teeth and ground all of them the same. Not sure if there offered today

Yes when I’m using the file the first time to radious the gullet. It takes time to do it right then in the field one pass with the file n guide puts the edge back.

@rogue60 mate
Any chance you can tweak your settings? I’m unable to message you privately?

There is an ms 660 good condition, it’s had use but very well cared for. I have chatted to the seller quite a bit in a pm - he’s a straight shooter. In NSW, wants 1000 for the PH.

C2A584A2-20B2-4E37-8BC6-45314E79476E.jpeg
66E102D7-60C3-4A3F-AF7A-82E031F0B50C.jpeg0B0EB74B-76AD-4F2F-9751-00F35A01BAA9.jpegA951EE25-7D95-4FBB-8932-E67BBBCC5783.jpegA443A89B-2E3B-4A6C-A2FB-E54C4FB23783.jpegBB7384B8-6E8C-4C11-867D-FBB54F7B59E8.jpeg7D7579EA-3882-48A6-B89B-FAD4E3BF101C.jpeg

@rogue60 mate
Any chance you can tweak your settings? I’m unable to message you privately?

There is an ms 660 good condition, it’s had use but very well cared for. I have chatted to the seller quite a bit in a pm - he’s a straight shooter. In NSW, wants 1000 for the PH.

View attachment 934972
View attachment 934966View attachment 934967View attachment 934968View attachment 934969View attachment 934970View attachment 934971
Looks to be a legit nice example of an Aussie ms660 not the gutless epa USA ms660 guys imported into Australia making a tidy profit.
For now I'll pass can't commit to anything I've got to go see dad he could of bought a saw already I've not talked to him. I don't try talking on the ph with him he's to deaf to make any sense.
He's never bought a 2nd hand saw I'd prefer to run a saw first before buying if going that way and with all the crossing the border BS we have going on here.
Thanks for ya help we'll work it out eventually.

Looks to be a legit nice example of an Aussie ms660 not the gutless epa USA ms660 guys imported into Australia making a tidy profit.
For now I'll pass can't commit to anything I've got to go see dad he could of bought a saw already I've not talked to him. I don't try talking on the ph with him he's to deaf to make any sense.
He's never bought a 2nd hand saw I'd prefer to run a saw first before buying if going that way and with all the crossing the border BS we have going on here.
Thanks for ya help we'll work it out eventually.

Latest posts

Back