Sharpening an axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmthrower

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys use to sharpen an axe? I have been looking for a good round sharpening stone to touch up my edge. One of those ones that fit in your palm. Any suggestions?
How many of you guys still use an axe from time to time. I like to keep one in the truck most of the year.

I use a 10' mill bastard file and hold the ax in a vice to draw file the edge. Makes a good edge. You should use less of an angle (about 25 degrees) than you would for a knife - unless you are looking for an edge that will cut for a while and well but go away fairly quickly.

Hal

Axes are those multi purpose utility tools these days. As a result they are very dangerous, especially short handled ones. Mauls are much safer in the woodspliting dept.
The days are long gone when axes were used for limbing or hewing, other than for nostalgic purposes. A hatchet offers more utility I believe, although I used an axe the other day to cut a 1/2" cable.
More big brother advice.
John

Gypo, I agree with your statement about woodsplitting with mauls being much safer. I try to only use a maul for woodsplitting. As far as axes, I am referring to using them as an axe is intended to be used. Sometimes I have run into a log across a road with no saw around. So I can always turn to my trusty old axe in the back of the truck.

I use an axe for making kindling and thats about it. I would use a hatchet but I lost it and always forget to get another:angry:

Well I use a norton to sharpen my axes and they are sharp! Here is a pic of what the axe did to my foot.
And just so you know the axe never left the wood and cut through the protective toe gard and sneaker like butter. The axe stopped after it hit a 3/8 pic of steel.

Warning not a picture for the week!!

Last edited:
Sorry for this , but it looks like you only scored a 6 or 7 from the chart in the background. Nice clean cut though and yes I do believe your axe was sharp.

short story. my cousins use to play a game where donald would swing the axe and carolyn would pull her finger back... worked all rite untill one day ... while they are playin their mamma drives into the drive at just the rite[wrong ]time. results carolyn forgets to pull her finger back and now at 60 yrs old doesnt have a middle finger...shes got along alrite ,far as i know.:)

Last night's Ripleys had a thing about a bar in Canada that served a drink with a human toe in it, as a garnish.....

I've done the tequila/worm thing, but I don't know 'bout dat!
:eek:

The doctor said it was one of the cleanest cuts he has ever seen, But did also remark that those other clean cuts were made in the OR.
One neat thing about the cut was that I cut through two joints and didn't even nick a bone.:D

Later,
Chris

Check out the Cold Steel website...they sell a stone called The Puck. It is a round stone designed for ax and tomahawk sharpening and it work great.

Chris, that is one mean wound. How did they treat it?

Ryan, sometimes an axe is nice for knocking sandy bark of a tree before making a cut. I`ve found the Fiskars axe that Stihl sells works nicely. The short handle also makes it nice for driving wedges. Set the wedge with my left hand and drive it home like a nail using the hammer(axe) in my right.

Russ

Russ, I have the Stihl ax and a scar on my left thumb as proof of the quality edge that they have!! Cut right to the bone from just barely touching it!!:eek: When it gets below 40 degrees out I cannot feel my thumb:rolleyes:

Ryan,
My ring finger on my right hand is the same way but it has something to do with a Miller Pony and a cold day in the late fall of 1979. Yeah I know, you weren`t born yet. LOL

Russ

Latest posts

Back