Sharpening an axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An axe also works well in those really abnormal situations where you need to finish off a bit of holding wood (like on a snag) and don't want to jeopardize more expensive equipment.  I prefer a heavy long-handled model for that, and it doesn't need any more than a filed edge for my purposes.

A finger on my left hand has both visible and seasonal evidence of a bone-stopped properly-sharp wood chisel.&nbsp; I <i>should</i> remember 1979; where'd it go?

Glen

Whoa!!! Chris you are tough! You really showed that ingrown toenail whos boss. You obviously have strong nordic bloodlines, like eyolf, jokers, tundraotto and myself, with a willingness to grit your teeth and bear it.

C-, formally known as Ms. Nystrom

Ryan, an axe is nice to have around here in the winter with the ice on everything too. I carry one in the truck for downed trees during my trips to the mountains. Cheaper to have stolen than a saw.

The toe nail was crushed buy a log this winter when I was cutting firewood. It took a while for the nail to fall off.
My doctor asked me if I have a complex against my right foot...

Chris

I have been chopping wood with an axe for years, I have developed a special chopping stump, to ensure that the axe stops before it can contact me (see attached highly technical blueprint) I ahve found over the years this design really works, and its not hard to carve up with a chainsaw.

I sharpen my axe with a file, and the hone down with a whetstone, also I mill a small channel (.001" deep x .325" wide)about 1/2 inch behind the edge.

Attached is a PNGised version of that image.&nbsp; Down from 504846 bytes to 3242.

The necessary safety wall afforded by that design is exactly why I dislike using an elevated base for the round-to-be-split.&nbsp; I very much prefer an 8-lb. maul with a nice long handle and with the target round sitting directly on the ground.&nbsp; When I overswing and bust clear through the wood the soil nicely polishes the maul head as it's brought to a safe halt.

Glen

Axes rock! I cut down a rotten tree a couple weeks ago, about 12-15 feet tall, around 12"-13" diameter. I don't remember what kind it was. Sure wasn't an oak! I counted and it took me 20 chops till it fell down. Then guess what I had to cut it up with.:D

Robert

Last edited:
I basically use an ax for two things.

No. 1 Sighting for spar felling or one cut drops in confined areas.
I prefer a short handle for doing this. Every once in a while
I'll use one to drive wedges, but I prefer a short handled
sledge for this.

No. 2 Cleaning around a dirty stump cut, beats dulling a sharp
chain saw.

Other than that an ax is a hands off tool, I know of a guy who split his foot open while trying to cut small trees with one.

To sharpen I start with a hand grinder (lightly), next I use a mill bastard file, to finish I hone with a fine stone for a good finished sharp edge.

Art,
Nice axe. That looks to be about the same size axe I use for spring board. But my axe doesn't have the oiler installed on it. I don't know what end angle is on your axe but the banana grind that did in my foot is a 12 degree center. With just a but if super grind behind it. but now it has a 14 degree chizel edge now.

Later,
Chris

Criss,
The axe in the picture I posted is a custom made axe with an oil reservoir head. It was made by Cllive McIntosh of Kyogle, New South Wales, Australia. The oil reservoir in the hollowed out portion of the head allows oil to flow along the grooves on each side. This prevents the axe from sticking. Mr. McIntosh used to demonstrate the axe by chopping off a 10" log without taking out a chip. While standing on the log, he would hit the axe into the same cut at about a 45° angle four or five times. The he would turn and hit four or five times to match the cuts and sever the log. The grind on this axe was made for Western Eucalyptus.

I went to Australia in 1979 to meet Mr. McIntosh and spent two weeks there learning the art of grinding axes and making "M" tooth saws.

Art

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kelly Perfects. I learned axmanship from 2 old timers back in the '70's who had grown up logging with crosscut saws and axes in Charles City County, VA.
We limbed trees with axes to save gas:rolleyes: split wood, and were selling firewood commercially.
They swore by their kellies,and taught me a lot. For example, slow filing or a whetstone, and a 10-15 degree edge. Aim and stroke out work strength every day, and are a lot safer. The main thing I learned was take my time. how you sharpen is much more important that what you use.

I now have over 10 kellies, look for them at every yard sale and
flea market and restore them. Pi$$es my wife off.:D
Plus we named a daughter Kellie. (not intentionally;) )

I still split firewood now with one and don"t even stand the wood up. (Not for the inexperienced). I can outsplit my machine easily with the right wood.

I always test people with why should a double bit axe have different edges?

There is a sharpening method called, “scary sharp”, that some of the wood workers use to sharpen chisels and hand plane blades. It basically uses progressively smoother sand paper, down to something like 2000 grit, to get better than razor sharp.
Here is a link to scary sharp http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM
, could be used for an Axe if one cared to.

Art,
The major grinds that are used on our wood are:
Flat, Chizel, Banana and Super grind or a combination of these. For most of our wood the banana and chizel are the grinds of choice. The flat is good but does not move a lot of wood in the cut and can stick in the kerf easy if you choose the wrong one. The chizel is the most forgiving of the grinds. The banana moves a lot of wood but depending on how it was ground depends on if the axe likes hard or soft wood.
By the way your axe looks it appears to be a flat grind. This would explain how you are able to chop in the same kerf and not pull a chip. I know from our conversations that there is very few of those axes. Its a great axe with much history in its development. I just wish that I could swing it into a sweet block and see how it floats in the wood.

Later,
Chris

WM,
Where in Upstate are you?
There is a competition in Andes, NY on Sunday.
And the following Saturday and Sunday in Macedon, NY.
I'll be at both events.

Later,
Chris

Back