sharpening angles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I recently purchased a oregon 511a chain sharpener.In order to get the best results, (largest chips) what angle do I set the wheel as it comes down to the chain to. Also what angle should I set the vice tilt to. It goes up to 10 degrees. I use 3/8 .50 oregon lgx. PLEASE HELP, before I wreck my chains. THANK YOU

I think he is talking about the file angle. I file it at 90 instead of 10. I think 10 is more aggressive but dulls faster also, as stated by others. I could be and have been wrong before.

I quit filling the 10 degree on the Oregon chain. Seemed like it was dulling quicker than the Stihl chain. File mine at 25 degree and 0 degree. Figure if it is good enough for the Stihl chain, it's good enough for Oregon.

For stihl chain I file 30 degrees flat across (90/zero whatever you want to call it) cuz the stihl file guide markings are set at 30 degrees. For Oregon or carlton I use 25 degree/zero cuz the Oregon file guide markings are set a 25 degree. Either work well and I have not noticed any appreciable difference in wear or cut. I also sharpen at every time a refuel so the chains never get dull unless I hit something.

I think he is talking about the file angle. I file it at 90 instead of 10. I think 10 is more aggressive but dulls faster also, as stated by others. I could be and have been wrong before.

I agree 100%. I haven't noticed much difference sharpening at 0° or 10° on LGX. I always set the cutter angle at 25° though with grinder head angle set at 60° (Oregon specs). I generally use semi chisel but have been very happy with LGX in clean green wood. Very nice chain.

Back