Sharpening Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood_B_Logger

Reaction score
Hello All,

I wonder if I could possibly get some help. Last week I saw a guy sharpening his Husky 372XP using a file gauge and because I am into chainsaws I went up and said hello. We got talking and he told me he hadn't been sharpening long and this file gauge made the job easier. I asked what chain was on his saw and he said it was 3/8 chisel chain. I am only learning to sharpen and this little gizmo made it look so easy so I went and got a combi file gauge. I got home and went to try it on my Poulan 2250. There was where the problem arose, the teeth on my Poulan looked a lot smaller than the teeth on his saw which didn't surprise me all that much (bigger saw bigger teeth) but when I put the gauge on my saw it was too high to be able to file the teeth. My question is, Does that just mean my saw has not got 3/8 chain or is it something with the combi file gauge? I know this will probably be an easy question but I am new to this so I don't know much so far. Thanks for any help.

Hi Wood, you are probably running .325 or possibly 3/8s lo pro on your Poulan, so you would need a different size file combo. Some filing jigs are generic in size and some are specific, you have to know the particulars of each one that you plan to use. hope this helps. Russ

Chain specs on your saw

If your saw is original look in the manual and see if it talks about chain size. Go to the place you bought it and ask to see a replacement bar/chain for the one you have and the specifications may be on the package. For our discussion chains typically come in 3 sizes .325, 3/8 and 404. They also come in other sizes but we don't need to discuss this in our topic. 404 is typically for larger 60 plus cc saws and not recommended on bars under 20-25 inches. So all you have to concern yourself is 3/8 and .325. File sizes should be 5/32 for 3/8 chain and 3/16 for .325 chain. You should pay around $7 to $10 USD for a dozen of Swiss made files. It is my understanding there is only one Swiss file manufacturer and everybody puts their own label on them. Look at this sites previous discussion on what is the best way to sharpen. If fact a survey was just taken a few weeks ago.

The 2250 Poulan runs 3/8 extended pitch chain and will need the Oregon 37534 file guide. When you say combi file gauge who made it? Later Butch

Back