Sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks odd for sure. I've never used the Stihl file but I like the concept of sharpening the teeth and taking down the rakers at the same time.

The cutters do not look like the best to me. I always file the rakers as the cutters wear down. My chains are always hand filed. You need to file farther down towards the drive links about a 32'' or two. I have seen much worst though. The set up you have is not very sharp, but it might work OK for hard wood in that the cutters are a bit blunt. With some practice you will be flying through your logs. Thankscutr.jpg

Took Teds lead and used a backer board so the photos are a little better.
At first I thought my phone distorted the left hand cutter hook, but turning the saw around I now see in the photos that most of the left hand cutters have very little hook compared to the right hand cutters.
I think it is from the file being unlevel and too high coming out of the cutter when I do the left side of the chain.
IMG_4837.jpg IMG_4838.jpg IMG_4839.jpg

I am a free hand person my self. Aim for the face of the cutter to be more concave and farther down. Yes you do need to lift up a bit to get the top part of the cutter sharp, but after the shape has been established. You will start to be impressed when the chips are just flying and the saw does most of the work without pressure. Thanks

I use the same guide the majority of the time. After probably 5-7 sharpenings I'll throw the chains on the grinder to even everything back out. I can get chains sharper with the file but the angles start to become inconsistent as does cutter length. The grinder evens everything back up.

Sent from a field

New files a month ago, and I've cut very little.
I do rotate but after a while kind of loose track of what side is what.
Use them and change them out once a month or so, and throw them away.

Just cut some dirty logs from the bottom of the pile.
Back to the bench vise.

I did read a little on line about sharpening.
I was looking for angle terminology and of course some numbers.
Stihl said 1/4 of file above top of cutter, another, I think Pferd, said 1/5 above.

But what I was going to say is, one said tighten the chain before sharpening and re-adjust it after wards.
I usually adjust it before sharpening, but not tight.

Yeah, I noticed the center of the link appears worn.
From the nose of the bar?
I saw a video on YouTube of a chain that is too loose. It whips around the drive sprocket, rises, and crashes into the bar, and takes a little hop back off the bar, then down.
Since seeing that, I run my chain a bit tighter than I use to.

I am still confused about that actually.
Does a chain contract, or expand when running and up to operating temp?
Worse case, I'd rather be too loose than too tight.

I used Jonsered bar oil(spelling?).
Just got five gallons of Country Line or something from TSC. It was $2.00/gal. cheaper.
The oiler is pushing it out, whether it is doing its job is another thing.

The bar is new this spring, and only 4 1/4 tanks of fuel since the new carb, maybe 4 1/4 before that, with that new carb. I'm guessing 1/2 to 3/4 cord per tank.
Saw really has not seen much use due to issues.
The chain shows wear, the bar not so much.
Maybe I need to look at the drive sprocket for wear.

New dedicated fuel can and Recreation fuel this past week since getting the new carb tweaked.
A 1 1/2 tanks through it.
Runs great...except for one hard start today.

After sleeping on it... I think you are inadvertently putting to much side angle on the left cutters compared to the right. The jig wont let you alter the height of the file in the cutter unless you really try, so the only 2 angles you can "modify" is the 30° top plate and the 10° up (if you choose) to help define the hook. I think you are putting more angle on the left cutters essentially not letting the file get into the gullet.

A 'top down' shot may show this...

Yesterday I noticed the hook can be increased or decreased by deviating from level across the top.
You can modify up/down.
Raising the file on exit decreases hook, and increases the 60* plus/minus cutter angle
Lowering on exit stroke increases hook, and decreases cutter angle.
Or so it seems to me. (using the 3/1 file system)
I noticed I could look down at the file handle and site the inner edge of the handle for up/down/level, before beginning the stroke. -----)
If the chain tips away a bit when pushing the file it would be the same as raising the exit stroke, giving less hook.
Im going to try tightening the chain before sharpening as suggested.

Angle consistency: I use a full file stroke, remove the file, and repeat. Using the full stroke keeps the file from dulling in one spot sooner than another, gives consistency per tooth using the same stroke length, and bottoming the handle against the bar is a sure indicator of being on or off. Often the first stroke is a touch off, correct on second, repeat on third. Kind of why I do three strokes. (again, this is with the 3/1 which has a wide handle with the 30* angle at both ends, a guide if you will.)

Pressure consistency is a huge factor.
I do not have that down either.
There is a definite difference, one side to the other.
I'm going to rotate the bench vise today so it is 90* to the bench and not parallel.
That way I can switch sides and not turn the saw around, same height, and such.

One guy I know does an extra stroke on one side to compensate and calls it good.

Checked the drive sprocket and definitely needs replacing.
YouTubed how to get the outboard clutch off the 357xp.
Really......put rope in the cylinder...............................

@Sandhill Crane, one thing that helps me with filing a chain when it's on the saw is to tighten your chain pretty tight, but so you can still rotate it, then rotate your chain to where you want, and then stick your scrench in between the chain and the bar on the underside of the bar. That really tightens up the chain so it doesn't move around. Then when you want to advance the chain, just pull it out. Learned that from the square filing guys.

Sandhill, I usually use the oil from TSC but after wearing out a cheap bar last year in a few hours cutting I switched to some heavy Poulan oil that I had on hand. I just bought 2 jugs off the stickiest oil that Lazer makes. My stihl dealer says he thinks it is better than stihl oil. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. And I make sure that I ordered the better bars this time around. I also replace my drive sprockets more often.

I ran some Lazer chain two summers ago and loved it.
I've never seen their bar oil anywhere.
Got the chain from a mom and pop shop that has since closed.

I do need to get a drive sprocket.
Not a fan of the outboard clutch on this XP.
We have a rental place about ten miles away that sell/services Husqvarna, just haven't tried them since they picked up the franchise.
They should have parts...

82* today. A couple hard starts, like six pulls, so not so bad.
I dressed the bar today, and did a half cord.
Beautiful day...

On oil. I have bars that are 40+ years old that saw 20+ years of commercial service, then me cutting firewood and milling with them for another 20 years. Most of our saws, in the 70's had automatic oilers, but they all had thumb pumps too. Dad would give anyone heck if they weren't constantly pumping. Always use a full tank of oil per tank of fuel. Back then I never heard of "Bar Oil". We just used the cheapest 10W30 oil we could get, by the case, at KMart. I still use 10W30 unless I catch a good sale. To put in perspective how much my saws still get used, I mix in 5 gallon batches, and use about 5 gallons a month. By the 80's we bought enough saws, pretty much all Homelites, that other dealers started sending us flyers on their products. Then I remember reading one manufacturers theory on using thick oil that would cling to the bar and lubricate longer, and an others claim that thin oil was better because it flew off the end of the bar, carrying heat off the the bar keeping it cooler. Both theories had a pile of scientific research to prove their side. We kept using 10W30, and now I have 40 year old bars, still in service. I adjust the chain so you can pick it up with 2 fingers, and the drivers come to the top of the bar groove, but not sagging off the bottom. I would rather run it a little loose than tight.

On filing, I still free hand with a chunk of an Oak stick stuck on the file for a handle. I rotate the file after every stroke, and every third or fourth stroke I tap the file across the chain to clean out the filings. I think the files last longer that way. A sharp chain will create less heat and aid in longer bar life. When you have to start leaning on the saw to cut you are creating a lot of heat. I can buck up an Oak log and hold the bar in bare hands when done. If the bar is so hot you can't touch it, you are not using enough oil, your chain is dull, or too tight. That bar won't last long.

Sharp chain, lots of oil, long bar life, Joe.

Sandhill, I notice on one of the pics, one set of rakers was way lower than the other, and both rakers were very flat. When I used to file just for bucking, I kind of did the same thing. When I got into milling I found how much difference it made to keep the raker rounded, more like the profile of a new chain. I don't like my rakers quite that low, unless I'm into soft woods. But, since I'm retired, I only cut Oak for my personal fire wood use, so I try to keep the profile close to factory, Joe.

Look at the rakers...
If you're using the combination file and hitting the rakers and teeth simultaneously the rakers will tell you if the angle is off.
If you're holding true the rakers will be perfectly squared off.
Is it me or are the rakers down to nubs ???Advanced_Chain.jpg

Latest posts

Back