Sheeee Don't tell my wife!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW Nailsbeats I'm in Hayward, WI. (Home of the World Lumberjack Championships), about 75 miles west of you. Small world.
P.S. I am by no means a lumberjack, just a guy who likes to cut and split wood by hand with a maul. Who needs a membership to a health club.
Gadfry, do I need you on my team. I've got about five cords of American elm, mulberry, and locust, all cut into nice rounds, 18" to 24" lengths, and just waiting for that maul, sledge, and wedge. Caution: a few of these weigh about 250 lb or more. :dizzy:

BTW, ain't nothing like a new professional grade saw. Congratulations! :cheers:

Gadfry, do I need you on my team. I've got about five cords of American elm, mulberry, and locust, all cut into nice rounds, 18" to 24" lengths, and just waiting for that maul, sledge, and wedge. Caution: a few of these weigh about 250 lb or more. :dizzy:

BTW, ain't nothing like a new professional grade saw. Congratulations! :cheers:

I'm in the process of building myself a home made splitter for the really tough pieces, It is so much faster with a maul, I like a 6#er. I stand up about 10 rounds and go right down the line, most of the red oak splits with a nice sounding crack with one hit, bang, bang, bang, I get a nice pile in a hurry. But it sounds like you might need a splitter that elm can be a real bastard.

I'm in the process of building myself a home made splitter for the really tough pieces, It is so much faster with a maul, I like a 6#er. I stand up about 10 rounds and go right down the line, most of the red oak splits with a nice sounding crack with one hit, bang, bang, bang, I get a nice pile in a hurry. But it sounds like you might need a splitter that elm can be a real bastard.
Psstt! I've got one that I share with a friend--a home made monstrosity with a 1955 Briggs engine and she will swivel down for vertical splitting.

I used to split that elm with three wedges, a 10-lb sledge, and an 8-lb maul. But, father time has taken his toll. I dream about my days splitting red oak. It's the greatest splitting firewood there is--similar to maple but half again denser. I've found pin oak, white oak, and burr oak to be tougher--about the same as ash.

Nice score on the new saw Coldfont. That's one of the best firewood saws ever made! I like a 20" on them for hardwood and great balance. Unbeatable. :cheers: I'd never get that by the little lady since she's pretty sharp and asks lots of questions if you know what I mean:) That said she's pretty good about letting me get what I want although there would be some sort of trade off involved (Painting or redecorating a room etc....):cheers:

Try an 18" Bar

I put an 18" Oregon powermatch on my new 372 (came with a 24"). This saw is unreal now for cutting firewood. With a pro chain it makes for triple the cuts per tank. Give it a try I think you will be amazed.

Last edited:
I put an 18" Oregon powermatch on my new 372 (came with a 24"). This saw is unreal now for cutting firewood. With a pro chain it makes for triple the cuts per tank. Give it a try I think you will be amazed.

Mine came with a 20" bar and a pro chisel chain. I can't imagine it cutting any better than it is now.
And Wood Doc I have quite a bit of white oak up here also, man that stuff is tough and stringy, it makes a man out of you splitting it with a maul.

Latest posts

Back