Shop Bill Sticker Shock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I worked for the mower shop in Louisville, I had a push mower come back on me, it was a Honda .

I judged it wrong, I should have charged them big bucks, the seal just looked a tad moist, so I did the minimum.....

It came back, I needed to get the friggin blade adapter off to replace the seal, after an hour or two, I had no luck, I asked the guy in my shop
for advice, he took me and the mower out to the torches, after an hour, the adapter was still fused on........

The last 20 minutes were filled with every employyee taking a break and warnimg us that the owner was aware of our trouble and that we were in trouble, so I asked my friend to go back in, and leave me with this one, he refused.

The next salesman that came out and warned me, I shouted "Good, let the Facker come out here and fire me!!!!!!"

The repair time I listed earler didnt show the 084 but this may help

Timetables for Repair Work
Chain Saw: 084, 088

Repair times are in tenths of an hour (0.1 = 6 minutes)

Code Type of Repair RT

1 Crankcase, Crankshaft, Crank Bearings, Crankcase Gasket/Sealing 3.0
2 Cylinder Shroud, Engine Housing 0.3
3 Front Handlebar/Handle Frame, Buffers 0.7
4 Crankshaft Seals 1.0
5 Cylinder and/or Piston 1.3
6 Ignition Module 0.7
7 Fuel Hose 0.5
8 Carburetor Flange or Connector 0.7
9 Repair/Rebuild Carburetor 0.8
10 Replace Carburetor, Carburetor Jet(If tried to repair use code 9) 0.4
11 Oil Pump, Oil Line 0.8
12 Recoil Starter 0.5
13 Clutch 0.5
14 Chain Brake 0.7
15 Muffler 0.4
16 Air Filter, Filter Cover, Tank Cap, Tank Vent, Fuel Filter, Oil Filter, Spark Plug, Deco Valve, Cutting Attachment, Miscellaneous Minor Repairs 0.4
17 Stop Switch, Control Lever 0.6
18 Oil or Fuel Tank, Tank/Handle Assy. 1.0

20 All Other Repairs 0.5

50 No Labor 0.0

I agree, it is a matter of flags, eh??

I have worked for a few shops where the "tech"s position was so tenuous that one bad day could get the tech into trouble, which explains
why I don't work for ass h oles too long.....

This reminds me of one of the best scores I ever had! I was at a rental yard up in the big city and was getting ready to rent a wacker jumping jack compactor. I was talking to the sales guy when the owner of the place came out of his office and said with disgust " you can have this one out in the yard. None of my techs can get it to run. GOOD LUCK!" I went out and threw it in the back of my truck so fast it would make your head spin. I knew already from more conversation that it had good spark and they had changed out fuel lines and freshly rebuilt the carburetor and adjusted everything. I got it back to the job and on a hunch pulled the cylinder head (four stroke) Sure enough the intake valve was stuck open. I freed it up and cleaned up the guide and put it back together. It started right up. I used it for about a week on the job and then sold it for $700.

I am guessing after he gave me the compactor that somebody lost their job. I would never want to work in one of those high pressure and high overhead shops. All spun and running around so common sense can go out the window when there is so much pressure.

So what, I was quoted near $30 for a MS260 PRO carb kit. There will always come a point where the cost of replacement parts exceed the value of the unit.

Thirty bucks for a carb kit with Stihl's logo on the bag sounds about right, the dealer who doesn't stock zama or walbro kits from an outside source so the customer can get one at a reasonable 9-15 bucks is a bonehead, or has succumbed to the Stihl/JD brainwashing.

I try and stay far away from any dealer, made the mistake of taking my 2500hd in for a recall on a blower moter resistor. Got a call 2 hours later wanting $550 to replace a $50 blower motor which is perfectly good. Told them to park it outside then they tried to charge me $82 for dionigostics. I got a hold of the owner who dropped the $82, I still asked him how it felt to be a crook. At the worst it would cost me $60 for parts and around 1/2 hout to install. Steve

Obviously I'm not charging enough. :msp_biggrin:

We've rebuilt and ported saws for less in labor.

for 300 bucks it should have been faster and had a cool sticker on it :msp_wink:

I'm feeling pretty good about my Jonsered guy.
NGK spark plug 2.95,installed
Fuel Filter 3.95,installed
Tuned carb w/tach,,(13,200 rpm) then he run it thru a log for a couple cuts.

10.00 labor, out the door for 16.90. It's what keeps me going back.

Yeah, I could've done my own plug and filter, I had taken it in 'cause I had about 60 truck loads of fire wood on it and figured it was time to have it looked at for a check up.

Anytime someone brings me in a saw for just a tune-up and I find something else wrong I always call first to confirm an estimated repair price. But at 3.5 hours, I'm not sure what they were doing to that saw?

Probably had a few cords out back to "test" it!

I'm feeling pretty good about my Jonsered guy.
NGK spark plug 2.95,installed
Fuel Filter 3.95,installed
Tuned carb w/tach,,(13,200 rpm) then he run it thru a log for a couple cuts.

10.00 labor, out the door for 16.90. It's what keeps me going back.

Yeah, I could've done my own plug and filter, I had taken it in 'cause I had about 60 truck loads of fire wood on it and figured it was time to have it looked at for a check up.

I'd even go to a dealer like that. Two Stihl dealers around here charged a older guy, one $60 and one $80 for a plug and tune up for a MS230 that was low on power. He ended up cleaning the exhaust screen himself. Steve

How does the saw run compared to before you brought it in the first time?

Are you ever going to respond to this one? Dealer bashing threads are always fun, but you need to stay with them, full disclosure.....

Real life dictates that there are always 2 sides to every story.....

Why didn't you challenge this invoice? You started this thread, you need to tell the whole story. Just to be fair, stick with and reply to the posts..

Are you ever going to respond to this one? Dealer bashing threads are always fun, but you need to stay with them, full disclosure.....

Real life dictates that there are always 2 sides to every story.....

Why didn't you challenge this invoice? You started this thread, you need to tell the whole story. Just to be fair, stick with and reply to the posts..

Hey I'm back.

I didn't challenge it because I initially thought they did more work. Seriously -- for some reason the shop shrinks down the list of parts and labor so you need a magnifying glass to read it.
I'm just not going to go to them any more -- there is a better option that i mentioned a short drive away and over the river.

And I haven't started it yet, mainly because I don't have a big log to rest the bar on and I don't want to bounce it in the dirt. Sounds lame, i know. Plus i took the muffler off and it still isn't back on; got distracted with other work.

tell you what, I'll go put it on know and start her up.

OK

Saw coughed on second pull, took the choke off, and she started up, reved up fine, and purred at idle. I had the saw in the heated shop, probably helped.

Then I set the camera on the hood, set it on movie, and tried to start it again.... No dice.

Turns out that the plastic housing is worn and trashed, and I flipped the switch to "off" in the dark. Then I broke the pull cord before I noticed that. I do get frustrated at times. :angry:

No movies until I get another cord and put it in.

I did notice that it was easier to pull -- could be that the compression release is stuck open, or maybe the saw really just runs better, dunno.

Hey I'm back.

I didn't challenge it because I initially thought they did more work. Seriously -- for some reason the shop shrinks down the list of parts and labor so you need a magnifying glass to read it.
I'm just not going to go to them any more -- there is a better option that i mentioned a short drive away and over the river.

And I haven't started it yet, mainly because I don't have a big log to rest the bar on and I don't want to bounce it in the dirt. Sounds lame, i know. Plus i took the muffler off and it still isn't back on; got distracted with other work.

tell you what, I'll go put it on know and start her up.

First off, anytime you get that much work done, it should get started at the shop before it leaves. Period. Second of all, with what you're telling us they grossly overcharged you, possibly because of something they did, and you didn't even ask them about it? I don't know, maybe you are truly a better person then I.

Back