Shop rate, what do you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndlawrence

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've started to do some small engine for other people here lately and have just been pricing as I see is fair. How do y'all charge? By an hourly rate? Or by what's being done?

That can be a tough one but I find most people that do side jobs have a tendency to under-charge. Sure, you don't have the over-head of a full time shop, but on the flip side you shouldn't be subsidizing someone on your time. If you do quality work, charge accordingly. I'd say charging by the job is probably the best tact as the customer knows up front what to expect vs. finding out after the job is done you ran into complications and the job took twice as long as you estimated. If your learning on the job, he shouldn't have to pay for your education, and on the flip side when you get dialed in you can typically bang out jobs in less than the time you'd estimate for them.

You also need to look at turnaround time. If a customer wants a job done overnight, the rate should be a bit higher than if you get it done in a week or two.

Always charge less than a shop and enough to stay busy and make it worth your while. Works for me.

Problem is I have no idea how much the shops around here charge... I guess I could ask but I don't feel they would take kindly to that :sad:

That can be a tough one but I find most people that do side jobs have a tendency to under-charge. Sure, you don't have the over-head of a full time shop, but on the flip side you shouldn't be subsidizing someone on your time. If you do quality work, charge accordingly. I'd say charging by the job is probably the best tact as the customer knows up front what to expect vs. finding out after the job is done you ran into complications and the job took twice as long as you estimated. If your learning on the job, he shouldn't have to pay for your education, and on the flip side when you get dialed in you can typically bang out jobs in less than the time you'd estimate for them.

You also need to look at turnaround time. If a customer wants a job done overnight, the rate should be a bit higher than if you get it done in a week or two.

Good point.

Shops here charge $70-90 per hour. I charge a flat fee for certain things and make it worth my while or I wouldn't do it. I charge $30 per hour for those other jobs that aren't a flat fee and retail for parts that I buy at wholesale to make up the difference in the hourly rate. Very good deal for my saw customers and I have more work than I want!

Depends what they drive when they drop off the stuff
the BMWS and ESCALADES shop rate is about $250 perhour fer them,,

common nice polite folk in a bind they get a nice easy rate ...

Dont like the slick rich folk or pencil pushers..

they get the real special rate wink wink..

Last edited:
My shop is 80hr, but I work on a lot more than saws so depending on the guy sometimes the saw work doesn't pay much sales and service go hand in hand

I have a flat rate for a lot of things,, if it doesn't fall under that list then it is 20 per hour

You couldn't pm that list could you? So I'd have an a ballpark to play in.

go play onn your own ball park,,, my bases are full:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: give me a few,,,, I have a saw to list to sell then I will send you my list

Around here it's about $90 an hour and $125 deposit for parts and labor 'non-refundable' when you drop off your chainsaw. If it sits for 90 days it's gone.

It also really depends on your over head, if your making money on parts own your own shop or just working as a side line, I figure my shop has to make a minimum of $50 hr to break even otherwise I'm loosing money

Shop rates here are $60 per hour. I charge $30 if I do it in my garage.
I'm also very picky on what I will or won't work on.
Stupid looks are still free.
je

You have to make money on parts,it takes time source and order parts and time is money......I don't know of a shop that doesn't make 15% or more on parts

Back