Shops that won't sell synthetic mix oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use the oil.
From Klotz Tech Sheet:
API TC
TC-W
NMMA TC-W3
JASO FD
ISO-EGD

I used about four cases of this stuff in my Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 fan-cooled snogo. It currently has 7500 miles on it.

One of these days i will get some amsoil 100 to 1 mix and run it in a old weed whip motor wot the whole time till its roached and se what the guts look like. I really have my doubts about 100 to 1 hell a enging would do better with marine axle grease spread on all the bearings
You might be surprised at how long you'll have to run that weed whip to do that.
Just sayin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read up on oils here over the years, thank you all. When I travel though sometimes I need to buy a little mix oil and it can be a little challenging. Last year I went to a shop for help with a saw and they completely ignored everything I told them. Of course the saw runs perfect at 8 in the morning after it has been sitting on your cold shop floor all night. I need it to run perfect after lunch, not just at a little past dawn. Here is a tangent to this concept - that shop only sold one kind of bar oil - Warren. And no, they didn't offer any synthetic mix at all despite carrying 3 or 4 brands of mowers and saws, etc., though not Stihl.

Anyway, I can't understand in the Husqy dealer system why so many dealers won't stock the XP at all. And generally not because they have some other full synthetic on offer. They just literally refuse to sell me something I want to buy. Sometimes I think Husqy might make the shops order it by the pallet load or something, so some take a pass. I get a sense sometimes that it is not easy to be a Husqy dealer.

Fortunately, wherever there is a Husqy dealer, there is a Stihl dealer not too far away, and it's been a long time since I've seen a Stihl dealer that won't sell HP Ultra.

I've always thought only some shops really cater to the idea of needing to run a chainsaw for 8 hours a day, every day. So many chainsaws are used for 2 hours every other weekend by people who know almost nothing about them, and it can make a shop a little slack when it comes to needing a 40 hour / week saw. Good shops are hard to find and I think the next time I'm on the road and in need of a Pro shop, I'll probably ask you fine folks first.

my husqvarna dealer carries xp oil in all shapes and sizes he supplies the loggers and sawmills in the area along with everybody else
he has a hard time stocking the product because of demand.

Use the oil.
From Klotz Tech Sheet:
API TC
TC-W
NMMA TC-W3
JASO FD
ISO-EGD

I used about four cases of this stuff in my Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 fan-cooled snogo. It currently has 7500 miles on it.
Thats a lot of miles on a older sled. Is the engine still the factory build? If so thats awesome

Anyway, I can't understand in the Husqy dealer system why so many dealers won't stock the XP at all. And generally not because they have some other full synthetic on offer. They just literally refuse to sell me something I want to buy. Sometimes I think Husqy might make the shops order it by the pallet load or something, so some take a pass. I get a sense sometimes that it is not easy to be a Husqy dealer.
Four Husky dealers with-in a one hour drive around here and all carry XP oil.

Have to realize that most customers that come in, at least in our shop, don't care what the oil is as long as it will work. They just care on price.

We easily sell 20x more normal cheap mix oil vs super high zoot snake oil stuff.

I run whatever in my saws. I personally buy the grey jug Stihl, but often I fill my saws with gas at the shop, and that is a max with whatever oil we happen to have in stock. Usually Husqy black.

As far as dealer requirements... the contract deals with bear everything under the sun.
The dealers maybe can't stock certain oils.

I know Carl for a long time was a dealer for Stihl. They shut it off after a rep came in one day and saw there was also other brands of saws for sale and service. They expected Stihl only.

Have to realize that most customers that come in, at least in our shop, don't care what the oil is as long as it will work. They just care on price.

We easily sell 20x more normal cheap mix oil vs super high zoot snake oil stuff.

I run whatever in my saws... they aren't fussy and neither am I. I think a few folks have the thought that a saw is made out of glass and needs to be fed all sorts of potions, polished and tucked in at night haha
Yeah i like the synthetic blend but the regular does leave a nice juicy engine.

At the dealership where I work all we carry is XP, Power Blend, and Red Armor. We sell Red Armor ten to one over the others.

Joe

Now if I had a ratty old Poulan Wild Thing on its last legs, and wanted to mosquito fog, as well as cut wood, what ratio would I use to mix the citronella oil in the gas? Or maybe add that 100:1 oil first, then season with citronella ? :innocent:

This is the piston out of a redmax G5000 after 5 years on amsoil saber at 80:1. I think it works, but maybe I'm wrong. image.jpegimage.jpeg

I have cut pulp off and on for the last forty years .I am a trapper and my registered trap line is 44 square miles and I cut trail for many miles also cut my own fire wood 12 cords a year.
I have lots of different motorized equipment Lawn Boys snowmobiles generators outboards etc have the disease for any thing old..The reason OMC switched the mix from 100-1 to 50-1 was when the gas sat for a long period of time there was some oil seperation guys didsnt shake there tanks plus some guys are cheap and mix lean..
  • I bought my 162 Husky from Noro saw in ThunderBay Ontario Canada in Dec 1979 for a 3000 cord pulp contract my older brother bought one also I wanted a 181 he said dont those couple of extra pounds arent worth it he had bought a jonsered 80 in 74 and liked the saw but swinging that sack of weight around to cut 14 inch wood was way over kill.
  • In 1979 the bush business was at its height here in Northwestern Ontario supplying the paper mills and they had there own camps plus a lot of private jobbers. All the bush camps are gone and pretty well all the timber too. Most of the mills are closed no wood left.
  • Noro Saw sold the more Husquvarnas per year than any other shop in North America for many years It is closed now.
  • When we bought our saws he included a case of Castrol two cycle oil told us to mix 25-1 I pointed out to him that it said in the Husky manual you could mix 50-1 if you used the Husky oil.He looked at his short stocky Finn partner and rolled his eyes another one he said.He said to me how do you like your new saw pretty expensive eh if you want to buy another one new next week mix your oil 50-1. I am sure glad I listened to him and my brother about the chain saw weight I cringe when I hear a saw screaming full bore with a dull chain on a hot summer day.I use what ever oil is on sale out board or air cooled mostly Canadian tire oil but I mix 25-1
  • When I start the saw and see a little smoke I smile and feel warm and fuzzy I dont care what irt smells like just wanna know its doing its job.The general rule of thumb up here is a pro saw is good for ABOUT 2000 hours cutting pulp.

• There was alot of big wood here almost every cutter used 16 in bars the odd 18 I havent saw a bar over 24 inchs on a saw except on the west coast. You dont see any thing over 18 hanging in the saw shops here. When you limb a couple hundred spruce or balsam a day in snow up to your hips swinging an 18 inch bar will kill you.
  • Kash

This is why I posted those photos. I'm trying to learn all about these types of things and getting experienced eyes certainly helps.

Back