Short roped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a 120' hank of Lava RopeBoss from SherrillTree.

I've been climbing on it a lot, and I have to say that I really like the rope. I'm using a piece of Safety Blue Hi-Vee for a split tail SRT. I'm climbing up to about 30-35' taking a single rap on a biner(sort of like a munter), and zipping down to the ground to see how the rope handles it. Honestly I can't tell I've used the rope, there's no glazing at all, not even on the blake's hitch, it barely gets warm, even the biner stays pretty cool. So all's good there.

I also got one of those Caterpillar cambium savers, and I like it too, it's easy to set, easy to retrieve, and the rope runs through it real nice with no damage to the crotch. So ditto on that.

I was thinking about cutting off about 14' feet to make an adjustable buckstrap, but decided to measure the rope before I cut it to make sure it was actually 120', but it turns out it's only 114'.

I'm sort of up in the air on whether or not to call SherrillTree about it, as I'm not too awfully concerned with the 6' of rope, but then again I'd don't want a 100' rope after I cut off 14', and I did paid for 120'. I don't really want to have to send my rope back though, because I LIKE IT! :rock:

Maybe I can get them to send me 14' of something I can make a buckstrap from to make up for the shortage?

If you ordered it with a spliced eye that might be where the 6' went.

Personally, if I need a lanyard I just buy one. I am not big on cutting into a brand new climb line...

If you ordered it with a spliced eye that might be where the 6' went.

Personally, if I need a lanyard I just buy one. I am not big on cutting into a brand new climb line...

Nope, just a straight hot knifed rope. I think the rope Nazi may have been there.

I'm seriously reconsidering shorting this rope, I like it too much cut.

I ordered a 120' hank of Lava RopeBoss from SherrillTree.

but decided to measure the rope before I cut it to make sure it was actually 120', but it turns out it's only 114'.

I ordered a 120' rope from WesSpur earlier and was sent an 80' length. Found out after I used it a couple times. When I called them up they looked and it showed on their end that they sent me the 80' length. They refunded me my money so only paid for the 80' (not as good of a deal as the 120') but that was it. Maybe SherillTree would be more generous.

You might want to ask if there is a cutting tolerance, maybe like plus or minus 5 or 10 percent. Sounds to me that's what is. The machines that they use to measure off lengths can't be right on the money. Besides, has anybody else actually measured their rope lengths when they get them to say if this is common?

If I can measure it, they can too.

You might want to ask if there is a cutting tolerance, maybe like plus or minus 5 or 10 percent. Sounds to me that's what is. The machines that they use to measure off lengths can't be right on the money. Besides, has anybody else actually measured their rope lengths when they get them to say if this is common?

I don't think that it would be very honest of a company to advertise 120' of rope when they only send you 114' of rope. How short would a 600' or 1200' spool be?

If they did have a "cutting tolerance" it seems to me that they would mention it somewhere in their advertising, since they've been in business long enough for this issue to have come up a lot.

It might not be possible for the machine to produce a rope of exact length based on operator input; However, it is possible to measure the rope after it comes off the machine.

Last edited:
I ordered a 120' rope from WesSpur earlier and was sent an 80' length. Found out after I used it a couple times. When I called them up they looked and it showed on their end that they sent me the 80' length. They refunded me my money so only paid for the 80' (not as good of a deal as the 120') but that was it. Maybe SherillTree would be more generous.

That's unacceptable. If I order a 120' rope it's because I need a 120' rope, not a 80' rope!

6' is small mistake, 40' is a major screw up. They would have took the 80' back and sent me the 120' at no additional charge or I would have #### a blue streak until they did.

Just call Sherrill or post this on their thread and be done with it.

My money is on Carbie not accounting for the length of rope taken up by his knot, and just being off by the difference. Who's more suspect at measuring rope, Sherrill or Carbie?

Carbie said:
I've been climbing on it a lot, and I have to say that I really like the rope. I'm using a piece of Safety Blue Hi-Vee for a split tail SRT. I'm climbing up to about 30-35' taking a single rap on a biner(sort of like a munter), and zipping down to the ground to see how the rope handles it. Honestly I can't tell I've used the rope, there's no glazing at all, not even on the blake's hitch, it barely gets warm, even the biner stays pretty cool. So all's good there.

Your safety blue single split tail is an "open split tail". There is no "SRT split tail", only a prussic knot or loop, or (generally) e2e split tail used on an SRT line. Tie a stopper knot past your hitch on your open split tail.

And learn to descend on your hitch. You shouldn't need anything else for short descents, and you should switch over to an 8 or other proper descending device for long descents or if you're concerned w/ glazing. Are you taking your hitch completely off to descend on a wrapped biner?

I don't think that it would be very honest of a company to advertise 120' of rope when they only send you 114' of rope. How short would a 600' or 1200' spool be?

If they did have a "cutting tolerance" it seems to me that they would mention it somewhere in their advertising, since they've been in business long enough for this issue to have come up a lot.

It might not be possible for the machine to produce a rope of exact length based on operator input; However, it is possible to measure the rope after it comes off the machine.

I wouldn't accuse them of being dishonest. If there is a tolerance it always plus or minus so someone could also receive a length longer than what it is supposed to be and I'm sure they wouldn't complain. I don't think it would be cost effective to have someone lay every length out after cutting on the floor to measure it.

I agree, Sherrill is a very reputable outfit and the easiest way to get this question answered is to ask them directly.

My money is on Carbie not accounting for the length of rope taken up by his knot, and just being off by the difference. Who's more suspect at measuring rope, Sherrill or Carbie?

There was no knot in my rope when I measured it.

Your safety blue single split tail is an "open split tail". There is no "SRT split tail", only a prussic knot or loop, or (generally) e2e split tail used on an SRT line. Tie a stopper knot past your hitch on your open split tail.

I said I was climbing SRT, and using a split tail to tie a blake's hitch onto the climbing line.

And learn to descend on your hitch. You shouldn't need anything else for short descents

What are you calling a short descent? If I'm more than 20' off the ground I'm using a backup device.

and you should switch over to an 8 or other proper descending device for long descents or if you're concerned w/ glazing. Are you taking your hitch completely off to descend on a wrapped biner?

No, I'm taking the wrap around the biner, taking the rope in my right hand, letting the rope ride in the crotch between my forefinger and thumb, and squeezing the blake's with the same hand.

It works nicely, if you panic the natural reaction is to squeeze the rope even tighter, which when using this system will stop your descent. On the other hand, if you let go the tail of the rope the blake's hitch will stop your descent.

I'm not changing it, but thanks for the advice all the same.

I wouldn't accuse them of being dishonest.

I wasn't accusing them of being dishonest

I don't think it would be cost effective to have someone lay every length out after cutting on the floor to measure it.

I think it would depend on how many customers you loose because you send them less than what they paid for. Maybe you don't think it's important give people what they pay for?

How about the next time you buy one, before you pay, you measure it there. I wouldn't cry over 6' short on 120', but still you are paying by the foot.
Jeff

I ordered it over the phone, kinda hard to measure a rope over the phone Jeff.

SherrillTree doesn't sell rope by the foot do they? It would be odd if they did, seeing as how they can't measure rope.

SherrillTree doesn't sell rope by the foot do they?

That's exactly right. You are buying a nominal length and I'm willing to bet I was right about the tolerance, but then I can't be sure because I never had the need to measure my ropes. Instead of guessing about this why don't you just give them a call. I'm sure they will be happy to send you a new length.

There was no knot in my rope when I measured it.

I said I was climbing SRT, and using a split tail to tie a blake's hitch onto the climbing line.

Ehh.....no matter, just means you were probably off by six feet instead of four and a half in your measurement.

My misunderstanding, thought you were climbing ddrt and descending on a biner.

lol...someone stretched their arms out 19 times instead of 20 or a five foot tall guy was doing the stretching...

Back