Short Sawbucks Anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting ideas for a 4 leg set that can roll with a log on it so it don't have to be lifted at all just lay it on its side and roll it upright with the log on it. Not sure how practical it would be tho

I'm getting ideas for a 4 leg set that can roll with a log on it so it don't have to be lifted at all just lay it on its side and roll it upright with the log on it. Not sure how practical it would be tho
With "a log on it", lifting still has to occur as you "roll it upright". Using the short sawbuck that Philbert and I show here, you only lift half or a bit less of the log's weight upwards as you raise the smaller end. Once you clear the back legs, you can then lower it down into the V's, and it's ready for cutting.

I'm not sure where roddog is going with his idea, but if it was something like a multi-leg timberjack, it could be a sale-able product. Might be better to make something like that out of steel. But waiting to see what he has in mind!

Philbert

I'm not sure where roddog is going with his idea, but if it was something like a multi-leg timberjack, it could be a sale-able product. Might be better to make something like that out of steel. But waiting to see what he has in mind!

Philbert

Portable log arch with a winch to pick up the log for cutting might be easier to make and use. 4 legs, large enough to throw over say up to a 3 foot diameter log, drop down some tongs, crank it up. Doesn't have to be a full one with wheels, just beefy enough to start at one end and give you enough room for several cuts. Two pieces, the arch with some stout feet at the bottom of the legs, a couple cross members, it pins together to make a unit. Last cross member on the top where the short drop chain/cable and tongs are. Even just an inch off the ground would be gold.

Last piece, lay some logs under it, drop it back down, unpin the contraption, set it aside, finish bucking off the ground.

Here is a small one I made out of 2X4 and scrap plywood (posted before). I think that the legs are about 24 inches? Handy to get a log up off the ground for cutting. With the short length, you either have to keep shifting it, or cut one end, then the other, . . . Three sets of legs would support more. This one is conveniently small to store, throw in the back of my car, etc.

View attachment 415483 View attachment 415484 View attachment 415485
View attachment 415486

I am sure that some woodworkers could come up with projects if dried and planed, but that is a different matter. Could always make really sturdy shelves with them.

Philbert
Great job...that motivates me even with my barbaric mechanical skills!!

If you want a portable to lift one end of a log, quit thinking so far inside the box. You only need to lift a log a few inches to cut under it and the typical log lift does that fairly well but if you want crossed legs like a saw buck it can be built easily. Make a nice rigid X shape out of a couple of pieces of lumber or even pipe. Keep the legs that go on the bottom short and attach a long handle at right angles to the X shape. Now you can slide that under the end of your log and just pull the handle into a position a little past horizontal to rest on the ground. Once the log starts to get short after a few cuts, place any scrap under the log to make repositioning the lift even easier. I can easily lift an 850 pound motorcycle off the ground with a lift built on the same principle out of a 2x6 and a piece of pipe placed in a hole through it so the end of a log should be easy.

You guys have me thinking again. That might be dangerous. My A-frame Timberjack log lifter arrived today. It's a horse--very well made. Remember that all the logs I am cutting to length in this huge stack are 8' to 9' in length as rough cut by my the logger. Four cuts have to me made to yield five logs ready to split.

All but two or three can be lifted by the Timberjack, and possibly at the dead center or balance position. So, I have to wonder if I can make just one lift with the Timberjack per log. Make the two cuts on the outer ends first and then the last two cuts on each side of the remaining center log that remains supported by the Timberjack. Done.

Gasp! Is that possible? If so, my short sawbuck may already be out of date.

Back