shot down again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lngbeard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Lately, when scrounging for wood, where I have to ask property owner if I can have wood I have been nixed a lot. I thought back over the last few months and found I had only scored 3 times and was shot down 6 times. Two of my three scores were from the same guy. What kind of luck do you all have? Hope it's better than mine. Of course I have been offered rotten, punky, wood or Cottonwood a bunch. Yesterday I was told by a relative I could have wood from where she works. When I go to look it's busted up pallets, buried in blackberry bushes. I think I'll pass on those. Not that desperate. :fart:

I have more than I can get to in the next 3 yrs and it seems as though everyone knows this and offers are coming in like mad. I tell people, mostly farmers or owners of large properties that it will be a couple yrs maybe 3 before I can get to it and they tell me it's not goining anywhere till I take it. Very nice on one hand but makes me feel obligated in a way to. All in all a good problem to have, just have to watch out for brand new friends who just happen to need a place to cut. I love wood!!:greenchainsaw:

The answer is always no if you don't ask n the first place.

If you don't ask 9 people, it's an automatic 9 no's

The more you ask, even if your batting average isn't too high, the more likely you'll get some yesses.

I deal with rejection pretty good, so it rolls off from me.

Trick is not to be in a position where you need yesses in order to heat your house for the coming winter. I'm always cultivating leads.

The answer is always no if you don't ask n the first place.

If you don't ask 9 people, it's an automatic 9 no's

The more you ask, even if your batting average isn't too high, the more likely you'll get some yesses.

I deal with rejection pretty good, so it rolls off from me.

Trick is not to be in a position where you need yesses in order to heat your house for the coming winter. I'm always cultivating leads.

:agree2:

Your batting average is about the same as mine - lots more no's than yes's. One time I went back several times before I got permission - that one yielded almost 10 years of heat. Had to sign a 'hold harmless' agreement to get into it. Something you might consider when asking. Many landowners are a bit paranoid about people getting hurt on their land.

Harry K

Holy smokes, i got a wood lot that I cant get people to cut the downed limbs and dead ash trees. Everone says ya ILL get right on it

If I see a free wood possibility, I stop immediately or just as soon as I can.

When I get permission, I get the wood immediately or just as soon as I can.

I constantly ask people if they have wood or if they know someone who might have wood they might want to give away.

And I try to not be picky when it comes to free firewood. Take what ever species or amount you can get because you don't know when your next opportunity will come.

Its better to be wondering where your going to put all this damn wood, then to be wondering if you have enough for the winter.

By the way, do you have any firewood you don't want or do you know anyone that does?:)

wow, i feel bad i have an unlimited supply of wood. 1000s of oak 1000 other hardwoods. When wood prices get back up I'm going to sell some board length oak. I have like 3 cord in just fallen trees, another 4 in road's. And 8 in clearing. I don't even cut that much but i have it if i want to. I have around 8 cords split and stacked. I want a dump trailer... then id have 25+ cords ready to sell.
If i sell 25 cords at $200 i could pay off a used dump trailer in a year.

I feel pretty lucky, I live in an old neighborhood with plenty of mature Red Oaks! It always seems like someone or mother nature is taking some down. I think my neighbors all know, I heat with wood and they can count on me to haul the wood off their property in a timely manner and I always make sure to do a great job of cleaning up. My wood shed is full, and now I'm starting to stack unsplit wood at the end of the shed. My woodshed holds 2 seasons worth of wood. Good luck with finding wood, and like Woodbooga said, keep on asking!

Lately, when scrounging for wood, where I have to ask property owner if I can have wood I have been nixed a lot. I thought back over the last few months and found I had only scored 3 times and was shot down 6 times. Two of my three scores were from the same guy. What kind of luck do you all have? QUOTE]

I never ask - I just go in and start cutting until the shooting starts. I've never been shot down, but I've been shot AT. :laugh:

No really, I've been pretty fortunate, but then I'm probably pickier than I need to be. I've got one good source for lots of Silver Maple, but I'd rather not burn that if I can do better, and so far this year I've done better, but I don't have nearly enough.
I got a great spot for two HUGE oak trees - one dead that's still standing, and another that blew down this Spring. I'd LOVE to get those, but the owner doesn't want me to cut any living trees, and I'd need to cut a number of saplings to get in there, unless I can beg/borrow/steal some kind of 4-wheeler and trailer.

I'm not picky. If someone offers me free wood, I take it and say thank you. It all burns and heats my house.

Also one of my saws has a 36 inch bar, so I can cut the larger logs other people can't. So that opens up more opportunities for me.

Pretty much I wind up having "too much" wood!

The only time I turn down wood is if my yard is full or if it is less than a truck load full. No point in driving 30 miles to get a 1/4 truck load.

Like the others, I ask frequently and have gotten used to the word "No".
I try and start up a converstation with some small chat, and kind of get people to know me a bit before I ask for something.during conversation often it will be revealed that they have plans for the wood, allowing me a graceful exit without being shot down.But,sometimes I find ways to make a trade for the wood, clear the brush in exchange for the wood, etc.Rarely do people beat me to a job, I make it a rule that no matter what I am doing if I see some clearing going on I will stop right away,experience has taught me that if you wait until it quits raining, etc someone will beat you to it.

I generally follow behind several logging operations for my wood, but with the logging industry at a standstill I have had to resort more to small jobs these past few years to get my 50 cords that I consider my minimum for the winters sale.

Just keep asking, as woodbooga said, if you dont ask the automatic answer is NO!

I currently have 3 years worth at the house. I have wood in 3 counties in Cental New York. I was just given 4 acres to clear cut. This 4 acres used to be part of a farmers woods. I may get help from a logger on this one. Last week I turned down a similiar offer. I am worried more about the wood rotting in piles than I am about having wood. 2 years ago I had to buy wood because I didn't have timee to cut, feast or famine.

Shot down

Thanks for all the replies,
I am working on being 2 years ahead so it's no panic. I was just wondering if it was just me going down in flames. I am hot on a C/L free load of pine. (see I'm not so picky):) It would be nice to have a score pretty soon. My Wood acquisition disorder is acting up:dizzy:

I've been told no all my life. And, being in the military for 24 years didn't help with long term relationships of any kind. Now that I am retired, I met this neighbor (best in the world) with 300 acres and 65,000 fir trees up the road; he lets me do just about whatever I want on his land.

I offer and give all of my help freely to him and he responds to me ten fold. Today, I helped him buck root balls off of monster fir trees...what a chore? I had a blast!

And he is teaching me all the "ins and outs" of logging/ranching/civilian life etc.

I am real lucky but he is the only person I have been able to deal with. No frils, just come and go as I please, help when I can.

Of the three invitations I have extended for free woodcutting on my land; not one has come to do it....

The point: it all started with me givng freely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back