Should I buy now or wait-460 Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you wait, they're only going to get more expensive. There's no more 440s unless you can find one rat-holed somewhere on a dealer's shelf. It shouldn't be too hard though, I know where there's still BNIB Husky 2100s.

Today there is an exemption for very low numbers of units (less then about 3K). It's what Husky has been using to bring in the 372/5. Not sure if it's extendable beyond 2010...

One conflicting issue is the EU - they have adopted 2010 levels with no credits, and the UK vibration levels.. these togther with the epa conspire to force the making of new "World Models".

Here's some light reading: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/equip-ld.htm

Last edited:
The above that Andy lists, as well as Kalyphornia restrictions. A lot of saws sold now in the rest of the states already cannot be sold in CA.

I think you will be out your $10 bill there Doctor Turner. Here, I am waiving one of mine on front of the screen to match you. The new $10s are pretty muddy colored and ugly bills. wiggle wiggle

The above that Andy lists, as well as Kalyphornia restrictions. A lot of saws sold now in the rest of the states already cannot be sold in CA.

I think you will be out your $10 bill there Doctor Turner. Here, I am waiving one of mine on front of the screen to match you. The new $10s are pretty muddy colored and ugly bills. wiggle wiggle

Okay Windthrown, I'll narrow it further. I bet ten bucks that come the beginning of 2010 Stihl is allowed to continue to sell the 880 and Husky the 3120. What say you?

(My favorite dealer is a pretty big one and if I recall correctly what they told me only sells about 2 dozen 120cc saws a year anymore. Side note: within a 10 month window, three of them were sold to me.:) )

Last edited:
Today there is an exemption for very low numbers of units (less then about 3K). It's what Husky has been using to bring in the 372/5. Not sure if it's extendable beyond 2010...

One conflicting issue is the EU - they have adopted 2010 levels with no credits, and the UK vibration levels.. these togther with the epa conspire to force the making of new "World Models".

Here's some light reading: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/equip-ld.htm

I tried making sense out of that doc but wasn't up to it.:dizzy: So many different dates, for example.

And does the EPA regs mean non compliant engines can no longer be sold or no longer be imported?

Okay Windthrown, I'll narrow it further. I bet ten bucks that come the beginning of 2010 Stihl is allowed to continue to sell the 880 and Husky the 3120. What say you?

(My favorite dealer is a pretty big one and if I recall correctly what they told me only sells about 2 dozen 120cc saws a year anymore.)

You may right if they are allowed to sell existing USA stocks. "Model year" comes into play..

Thinking seriously on buying the 460. I have been reading on here that Stihl won't be selling this in the future because of EPA Regulations. That is why I might pull the trigger NOW. Is there any reason that I should wait to see what comes out maybe soon in the future. I have a saw in this power range now, the 385xp but am I crazy for wanting to buy a 460. Should I wait to see what saw is to take its place. How does the 460 stack up to the 385 from you gentlemen's experiences. The bar size would be 24" with a 32" for bigger stuff. That is the setup that I use on the Husky now.

Thanks for your information
Rick

You'll be disapointed after running your 385 unless it's a lemon. The 460 is not even in the same conversation as the 385, not even the same idea. I have both saws and have cut a lot of logs with both. Infact I pulled my 460 out today just to burn a tank through it for good measure. I ended up cutting one tree, end of story. The 385 is way smoother, more power, will pull full comp on a 32" bar hard, and has air filtration that is light years ahead of the 460, is easier to bar up, less vibration, sounds and feels like a real powersaw, and will out cut a 460 any day of the week. The undying love here for the 440 and 460 is wierd. They are good saws, but not worth cutting timber. Ya, mod one and they do great, but out of the box they suck comparitively. JMHO.

Put a long bar on a 460 that's not a reduced weight and they are a nightmear. Nose heavy!!!

Last edited:
Put a long bar on a 460 that's not a reduced weight and they are a nightmear. Nose heavy!!!

So if the long bar(ed) 460 is a nightmare, what is the heavier 385 with a long bar, Armageddon? :ices_rofl:

The stock 385 I ran was a heavy dog, I always wondered why someone would choose the 385 over the 390, when the 390 is dam close to the same weight as the 385 but with more power.....:dizzy:

I would like to run a Slinger ported 385 though. Until then, I will stick to the nightmear 460.:monkey:

Thanks for all the reply's so far. I am still undecided but maybe a 440 would be better than a 460. I really like what Burvol had to say, the next size saw down from the 385 I have run is the 361. Wish it had more power so maybe a 440 might be the way to go. It has to be a CAD THING!!!

Thanks Gentlemen
More Replys Will Be Appreciated
Rick

So if the long bar(ed) 460 is a nightmare, what is the heavier 385 with a long bar, Armageddon? :ices_rofl:

The stock 385 I ran was a heavy dog, I always wondered why someone would choose the 385 over the 390, when the 390 is dam close to the same weight as the 385 but with more power.....:dizzy:

I would like to run a Slinger ported 385 though. Until then, I will stick to the nightmear 460.:monkey:

Well you see, the Husky is actually built to handle a long bar, and it's balanced for it. You put a 32"er on it and it does not take a nose dive. My 385 is just way over the head of a 460, although Jasha supposedly builds a mean 460, I don't want one, I'll take one of his 390's. The 460 feels cheap, poppy, and flimsy to me, especially after running the 385.

Weight was not the issue, it was balance. We have been there before, if it's too heavy put it down, go back to pushing pencils or being a techy.

Well you see, the Husky is actually built to handle a long bar, and it's balanced for it. You put a 32"er on it and it does not take a nose dive. My 385 is just way over the head of a 460, although Jasha supposedly builds a mean 460, I don't want one, I'll take one of his 390's. The 460 feels cheap, poppy, and flimsy to me, especially after running the 385.

Yup, I got one of them 460's. Light and powerful, awesome with a 32", no nose dives either. My thoughts on the dog 385 were the same as yours on the 460, except I know my 460 is the better saw. Keep using that heavy 385 but get it ported to see what you have been missing.;)

Saw is spotless gets waxed and stays in the house. (ya I'm a weirdo).

Nope. I know where you're coming from. Mine sits on a shelf in the living room in my apartment. When I get stressed out or have a bad day, I pull it apart, clean everything, and hand file all my chains. Not sure why, but it has a calming effect. It's not uncommon for it to be cleaned multiple times between uses.

:givebeer: :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back