Should I Buy This or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well when I usually find a place to cut trees it is usually a rush thing to get all the trees removed before the land owner decides to burn all the trees. I had this idea to pick up this knuckle boom to help speed things up when loading/unloading the wood. Cut the trees into about 8 to 12 foot lengths then just load them whole. I can get this knuckle boom and flat bed for about $1000.00. Only thing is it has no hydraulic pump with it, only has about a 13 foot reach fully extended, and there is no tags to state capacity of the machine, or even make or model.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So my concerns are getting parts if something breaks, not knowing how much it will lift, and it only having a total of 13 feet from the top of the boom mast to the hook. Is it too short of boom to be useable? Not sure if it will go on a trailer or a truck at this point. What do you guys think I should do? If I get it can you run a two speed hydro pump like a log splitter? Or better to run a single stage pump but what gpm do I need? How much horse power am I going to need to run it off a little gas engine? Thoughts?

Looks pretty beefy, for $1000 I don't think you can go wrong, might be worth that in scrap steel, maybe more. I would plan on trailer mounting it with a 13+ hp engine and you should be all set. I am no expert but with the size of the boom I am going to say that thing has more than enough capacity for logs. Again no expert but you might be able to make yourself a boom extension, or mount a winch to the end of it to extend your reach.

a few things to think about . do you have something to mount on that can handle the weight of the boom bed and logs ? and the know how to make it all work . I theinkk a 13 hp engine and a pump would work ok. Granger and MSC are good sources for pumps. I think it is well worth $1000 in a heart beat . I do not think you could go wrong buying. If it were closer and you passed on the deal I would be interested . good luck hope you can make it work ,

My bet is, because it’s mounted on a flatbed, it operated from a pump powered by the truck’s engine... Same set-up as small boom trucks/man-lifts that electricians and such use. Knowing that, it shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out what kind of pump specs you’ll need… thinking, with pictures and maybe cylinder dimensions, most any hydraulic supply can help you out…

$1000.oo?? Heck man, the flatbed alone should be worth that… or even one of the hydraulic cylinders!

Don't buy it. I'm on my way, will you help me load it? :D

Well I know there is another one just like this one without the flatbed, for the same price. It is mounted on the back of a truck. Or I found one that is rated at 14,400 lbs up close and 2000 lbs at 32 feet of reach, only drawback is the 4K he wants for it.

Yes most of these are ran off the pto spinning a pump on the truck. I want to run a small engine on a trailer instead, but was wondering if I should use a two stage pump so I can use a smaller engine to power it. Anybody ever try anything like this?

If you mount it on a trailer, how do you plan to stabilize it? There is a reason that boom and crane trucks have stabilizers on them...

Make sure your truck is the gvw or dmv will have a field day. Probably powered by a pto that is mounted off larger trucks transmission. Truck that is to light will have no payload with the weight of the body. I have built a couple of flatbeds so plan well because now DMV will bust you for "homemade unsafe equipment", they suck here in new hampshire because they are broke and fine everything

Make sure your truck is the gvw or dmv will have a field day. Probably powered by a pto that is mounted off larger trucks transmission. Truck that is to light will have no payload with the weight of the body. I have built a couple of flatbeds so plan well because now DMV will bust you for "homemade unsafe equipment", they suck here in new hampshire because they are broke and fine everything

He lives out in the boonies, probably don't even have johnny law.

I would surely want some type of outrigger on the finish product. Looks like it was of is the same kind of lift used for tractor tires or pallets of glass. One thing I would concern myself with is cylinder leaks. To repack the cylinders is not the hardest thing to do but is can be a pain in the rear. I like what you have though. A $1000 for that rig is really a steal. :msp_smile:

In the boonies and no one bothers you, is there room for one more. I promise not to bring northeast lib ideas and laws. Maybe a couple of firearms and a donkey or two:)

Yeah not too much BS to put up with if you live most places in the west. I couldn't handle all the rules and reg's you guys have in the east. I personally do not see any use in having any cops anymore. Just over-powered meter maids really

I dunno...it could end up being more of a hassle than what you put up with now. I would pass. Sorry for the negativity don't mean to rain on the parade.

It may be a great buy at $1000, but what will it cost you to put it in service? If you don't have a truck to put it on? If you don't have a pump and setup to operate it? Whether or not it's worth a thousand dollars to you depends on what it's going to take you to get it operational.

The other issue will be getting the finished product to where the wood is. Will you be able to drive it to where it can pick up the logs? Too nice of a lawn to tear up? Too wet to drive the truck onto? Will you have to skid the logs to the truck? What will you skid them with?

I'm not saying yes or no, just that the $1000 is probably the small part of the whole decision process.

Good luck!

Ken

Latest posts

Back