should I climb and cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwiley

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been tempted to try climbing out but frankly it scares me, not so much the whole "dangling from ropes thing" but more the "wielding a chainsaw with nowhere to run thing".

It just looks crazy dangerous to be blocking down a tree - if it goes badly all you can do is just ride it out. Sure looks as though climber/cutters often need to use a saw in ways that I simply wouldn't do on the ground.

What advice do you guys have for a marginally fit 40 year old who really enjoys tree work but doesn't have to make a living doing it? Is it crazy to experiment with climbing or am I just asking the life insurance company to deliver a check to my wife?

Is climbing/cutting fairly safe for the careful practitioner or is it as crazy as it looks?

I have been tempted to try climbing out but frankly it scares me, not so much the whole "dangling from ropes thing" but more the "wielding a chainsaw with nowhere to run thing".

It just looks crazy dangerous to be blocking down a tree - if it goes badly all you can do is just ride it out. Sure looks as though climber/cutters often need to use a saw in ways that I simply wouldn't do on the ground.

What advice do you guys have for a marginally fit 40 year old who really enjoys tree work but doesn't have to make a living doing it? Is it crazy to experiment with climbing or am I just asking the life insurance company to deliver a check to my wife?

Is climbing/cutting fairly safe for the careful practitioner or is it as crazy as it looks?
If you get trained by someone who knows what they are doing and have been doing it along time you will love it, start off doing small simple removals then as you progress and get more comfortable it'll be just like riding a bike. I've only been climbing for 5 years, once you start you'll get hooked and that's all you'll want to do! Go for it! I was lucky and got my training paid for, some self taught and learn something new from each job. If you do things right and have all the right gear/equipment you'll overcome that fear.

I have been tempted to try climbing out but frankly it scares me, not so much the whole "dangling from ropes thing" but more the "wielding a chainsaw with nowhere to run thing". If you think that you would not be safe with a chainsaw in a tree, you are probably right.

It just looks crazy dangerous to be blocking down a tree - if it goes badly all you can do is just ride it out. Sure looks as though climber/cutters often need to use a saw in ways that I simply wouldn't do on the ground. Yes.

What advice do you guys have for a marginally fit 40 year old who really enjoys tree work but doesn't have to make a living doing it? Is it crazy to experiment with climbing or am I just asking the life insurance company to deliver a check to my wife? Yes.

Is climbing/cutting fairly safe for the careful practitioner or is it as crazy as it looks? Yes. It is as crazy as it looks.

Consider doing some recreational climbing to see if you like it, and whether you are as fit as you believe. You should be able to find lots of folks to help with that.

Graduate to pruning with a handsaw. Very little risk there.

Spend more time on the ground with a chainsaw. It sounds like you are uncomfortable working around them, and that is probably due to a lack of experience or fortitude. The wrong place to acquire that experience is 40' up a tree.

Most people will tell you to find a professional to learn from, but most professionals won't give you the time of day. Why train the competition?

Study !

Last edited:
I was thinking that if I tried climbing it would be another one of those teach youself adventures that I tend to go on. I like the idea of getting used to climbing before trying to wield a chainsaw while "in harness" - the thing is I'd rather not even go that route if ultimately I don't get to the point where I can do it safely. Climbing gear looks expensive.

On a toughness scale of 1-10 (1 = a game of chess, 10 = arm wrestling a polar bear for a raw herring) where does climbing rank?

Do you see a lot of guys stopping climbing after 40? Do you see many folks picking it up after 40?

Hey man, I'm a girl and I climb and cut...tough...depends how you approach it! (and I'm not a 'tough' girl if you know what I mean...)

It is hard work, but being properly trained makes it easier, check the recreational climbing forum here, see if there is anyone near you who will take you on a 'taster' climb, get used to the whole concept.

I picked it up...how shall I say...'later in life...' if you are fit to start with, you'll get used to it...it does use a whole different set of muscle groups!

Tree work is somewhat less dangerous than mountain climbing. Eliminate the high altitude & winter problems and it is probably pretty close to the same as rock climbing if you were to add a chainsaw.

Perhaps some of the rock climbers will chime in?

I'll do what I can to help you, but I am going to do everything I can to discourage you at first. It's hard to learn, but ten times harder on your own. You can never be sure your knots are right until you are on them. Slow and low, get settled in a couple of feet off the ground, learn how to hip thrust and footlock as quick as you can as correctly as you can.
The gear is very expensive, plan on at least $300 for low end gear, read up on ropes and see what sounds like it will work best for you. You will be doing natural crotches so keep that in mind.
Get a throw bag and line right off the bat, you have no idea how much frustration this will save you!
On your scale, doing this alone, you are around a 15 or 20, really, it uses muscles you never knew you had and you will be doing things differently than you are used to because of the ropes dictate a lot of what you do. So you have to learn to use the ropes and lanyards, re-learning how to climb a tree and trying not to crap your pants out of fear and an over whelming amount of information to try and proccess!
I learned this way and I DO NOT recomend it, but it can be done.

rock climbing is stupid. why climb the rock, just to say you can? you are not going to do anything with the rock. no monetary profit in it.

if you want to be a thrill seeker then get paid to do it. rock climbing....c'mon.

anyway gwiley. the game of tree is simple in itself, really. but its the little things that matter. every little bit of what you got goes into climbing a tree.

on a 1 to 10 scale you ask?

well to a new guy just getting into it they are all 10's and you can only hope your rope holds and that whoever got you in the tree in the first place knows what they are talking about. because fear has new meaning to you.

now after some years of experience the scale can run 5-10 depending on the work order. i'll call it a 5 being easy just because you are already leaving the ground so thats danger anyway.

is it hard to run a saw in the tree? why yes it is. how many times have you just awkwardly reach out and cut something on the ground cause you were too lazy to step over the log? you cant do that in the tree unless you really really want to get hurt. wood swings funny if you dont know how to cut it. anyway so you must put yourself in a position to work best from. and sometime this requires multiple tie in points while doing a tree forced yoga pose.

now picture all this with the wind blowing. lol. tree is swaying all around and sometimes a gust will pinch your cut at the wrong time. who knows then.

you must have faith in what you've been taught and the knowledge you've earned. and even after all that nothing is guaranteed. who says the TIP you've chosen to hang it all on the line was the right one?

do i recommend a 40 yr old who with zero formal training run a saw in a tree? no. vehemently no. and stay off the damn ladder too.

but please let me tell you this. of all the trades a person can have this is the one that weeds out the men from the boys.

there really is no better rush than making it happen in the tree. you must have great respect for what you are doing as well my fellow climbers. we are mere mortals yes, but we do what not many other men could. that is what separates us from them. we are better than them, those on the ground.

I'll do what I can to help you, but I am going to do everything I can to discourage you at first. It's hard to learn, but ten times harder on your own. You can never be sure your knots are right until you are on them. Slow and low, get settled in a couple of feet off the ground, learn how to hip thrust and footlock as quick as you can as correctly as you can.
The gear is very expensive, plan on at least $300 for low end gear, read up on ropes and see what sounds like it will work best for you. You will be doing natural crotches so keep that in mind.
Get a throw bag and line right off the bat, you have no idea how much frustration this will save you!
On your scale, doing this alone, you are around a 15 or 20, really, it uses muscles you never knew you had and you will be doing things differently than you are used to because of the ropes dictate a lot of what you do. So you have to learn to use the ropes and lanyards, re-learning how to climb a tree and trying not to crap your pants out of fear and an over whelming amount of information to try and proccess!
I learned this way and I DO NOT recomend it, but it can be done.

Thanks - sounds like a good reality check. My goal is to be able to bring trees down in places where there is insufficient space to drop them conventionally. I suspect that if I can't use spikes then I wouldn't be in the tree anyway. Does that simplify the situation much?

I looked at recreational climbing resources, but folks don't use spikes on trees that they don't intend to kill so I am thinking that there is a lot going on in that space that I just don't need to bother with.

Anyone near Goochland Virginia interested in sharing some climbing wisdom?

...Do you see a lot of guys stopping climbing after 40? Do you see many folks picking it up after 40?

I was 50 when I first started fooling with it. Had quadruple bypass open heart surgery at nearly 60 and got back up in the trees 14 weeks later (would have made it in 12 weeks but had some bad weather problems). I like it. It would be hard to quit. Like somebody else on the site (I cant remember who said it, but it stuck) it takes me a little longer to get up the tree, but I can came down as fast as anyone.

You got some good advice here from others. I'll echo.

1. Start as a rec climber on ropes with a Silky doing light pruning. The time wont be wasted. If you go on to removals on spikes you can still have some great fun pruning, and what you will learn about rope will help you in rigging your removals. SRT also makes a great backup for your spikes; lets you bail out (get down in a hurry) if something goes wrong. Pruning and removing dead wood will also teach you a lot about making your cuts, how things fall, rigging, and working at height. Graduate to spikes and removals only when you are comfortable.

2. Get some help from a pro. If you hear a chain saw running in your neighborhood, go see whats going on. I was first coached by a retired professional, but every time I get an opportunity to watch somebody else work I take it. Many professionals are confident of their ability and dont feel threatened by a newby. Many will offer good advice for the cost of lunch or a couple of beers after work.

Risk? Full size removals like piecing down 100 foot Loblollies with a chain saw? Very high, especially if you try to do it on your own and move too fast. Get some help and I'ld give it about an 8 on your scale. Without help I think you are going for the raw herring, .

I started climbing at 39.I would recomend some sort of training.As well there is an abundance of training material available on CD's and in print.I had a fire service background,and have ran a saw most of my life.As previously stated start low and slow and progress as your skill level and confidence increase.My advice is know your limitations and stay with in them.

You should climb and cut!!

I am 36 years old, close to being in your boat. I got a Homelite super 2 when I was 12 and trees, firewood and such have been a part of my life ever since. Last year, a co-worker offered to buy me a climbing set in exchange for taking down trees in his yard. Spikes, harness, ropes and such in very good condition. I climbed and topped four trees that day and yes, was very sore that night. I have more questions than answers but I joined this site to learn more. I got a figure eight for descending, climbing down seemed to be harder than climbing up. I haven't got the gumption to try it yet though. Topping a tree is probably in the top 3 things I have done as far as an adrenaline rush goes, its a ride in itself. One thing for sure, the first climb will take as much energy out of you as the next three combined. KNOW YOUR KNOTS!!!! I grew up on the water, ropes and knots are second nature to me, very important. Good luck, your not the only novice out there.

Don't be afraid to rec climb, you'll learn a hell of a lot more about your ropes and knots in that aspect then you will on spikes. Not to mention learning how to trust your equipment. Too many climbers rely far to heavily on that steel strapped to their legs. Learn how to move on your ropes, up, down, sideways, inverted, vertical, horizontal, etc. Once you feel comfortable in any position you can physically put yourself on the rope then you can consider bringing in a pair of spikes or a chainsaw.

The use of that "topping" expression is pretty dangerous around here. Be careful, it leads to negative comments and unfriendly "smiley-faces" like this: :(

In case you were not aware of it, topping is not considered good arboriculture, and many of the patrons of this site have real issues on the topic.

I would start off with rec climbs, maybe with someone you know that already climbs. Get used to the equipment, moving around in the trees, knots, etc. I would also buy the tree clmners companion. It is only a book and does not make you a pro over night but there is some helpful hints and good information in it. Hope this helps out some.

Rec climbing is a great way to get comfortable with your ropes and all but if your going to be doing removals you will most likely be using gaffs. All the rec climbing in the world wont make you more comfy standing in gaffs and a lanyard. Gaffs and a TIP with climb line yes (which in my opinion is the safest when possible) but there will come a time your going to be standing on gaffs and lanyard/flipline only. So my advice find someone with sufficient knowledge to give you safe useful instructions and go for it. If you hook up with someone decent they may let you horse around a few times on gaffs with a tree they are about to remove. Once you get comfortable and safe you can move to maybe doing some handsaw work on a removal then when your are comfy with that move up to using a chainsaw. Its a long slow progression and skipping steps can result in someone getting hurt.

rock climbing is stupid. /QUOTE]

Try telling that to a rock climber...and prepare to be laughed at, and ignored.

I started it a couple years before I got into the trees...in '73...unfortunately, I quit in 1985, but not until I had enjoyed some incredible mountains, rock, snow and ice, scenery, and challenges.

The two are not alike that much......

Rock is recreation, just as a myriad of other outdoor activities are. All with varying degrees of commitment and risk.

I started out rec climbing. I did this for two years and only occasionally did I have a hand saw with me to remove dead wood. You can't just rely on spikes and a lanyard because there will be times you need to limb walk for rigging or pruning and with spikes you are secured (typically) to the main stem of the tree and can't go out on a limb.

Latest posts

Back