Should I go bigger - cutting firewood only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why cut small wood when u can cut bigger stuff it adds up way faster.......that is if you have big trees in your area

Well, if you don't have to deal with any cleanup I would just as soon work up two 24 inch trees as one 36 and you get about the same amount of wood.

I can half way handle a 24 inch piece fire wood length, 36 inch not so much.

The 371 would be a great choice in my opinion. Plenty of power, not super heavy. I generally run a 20" bar on my ported 372XP for firewood. If you needed to, you could run a 30" bar with skip chain for the occasional bigger wood. Just don't lean on it.

I would think you will be good with 70cc for firewood. I know some mad men who use over 100cc for that ####. as long as I keep it 3/8's I can run as long as 33" on my 372 and still be happy with it. It will pull longer but you gotta have fun too you know ;) it is ported of course but a stock 372 is pretty sweet too. oh ya and see me sig. I have owned a good line up of both husky and stihls. you can see what I decided to keep :D stay away from the dark creamsicle side otherwise you will be wishing you didn't waste all that money on a lesser saw at a higher price. :potstir:.......................:cheers:

When I was selling firewood my favorite combo was/is a nice 50cc saw and a nice 70cc saw, that's about the perfect setup IMHO. The Makita/Dolmar 6400/6401 is 64cc, but pulls like a 70 and they often can be had used for a fair price at you're local Home Depot too rental shop. The good thing about this saw is the fact you can upgrade them to 79cc or to an aftermarket big bore kit. You could also just find a nice used Dolmar 7900, but people seen to hold on to them pretty tight. If you go new then you have many options and all of them are pretty much awesome.

So to answer you're question. YES!! get a larger saw, you'll wonder why you ever did without.:cheers:

Now how about some eye candy.7900

attachment.php

390xp
attachment.php

576AT and 441CM
attachment.php

Last edited:
When I was selling firewood my favorite combo was/is a nice 50cc saw and a nice 70cc saw, that's about the perfect setup IMHO. The Makita/Dolmar 6400/6401 is 64cc, but pulls like a 70 and they often can be had used for a fair price at you're local Home Depot too rental shop. The good thing about this saw is the fact you can upgrade them to 79cc or to an aftermarket big bore kit. You could also just find a nice used Dolmar 7900, but people seen to hold on to them pretty tight. If you go new then you have many options and all of them are pretty much awesome.

So to answer you're question. YES!! get a larger saw, you'll wonder why you ever did without.:cheers:

Now how about some eye candy.7900

[url]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?[/url]
attachmentid=313714&stc=1&d=1378708444

390xp
attachment.php

576AT and 441CM
attachment.php

Nice saws! They all look like new. My tools don't look like that.

I love my 288 pulling a full comp 24 for cutting the larger stuff and limbing where I do not care to bend over as much.. My 73 YO dad totes a 357 wearing a 20 that we use for limbing too. I knock 'em down and buck them up while he tops 'em up. A couple tanks of gas and we have about a cord of wood..

this is my 372 running a 20" but I wouldn't be afraid to run a 32 on it,,, but then I have my big solo with a 36"er for the big stuff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10aUUxoPl18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jC5LRoLm_X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm also in a similar situation regarding adding a 60+cc saw. One thing I've noticed is that, within quite a few brands -including Husky, "mid-size" saws share a common platform. You start to hit the power:weight sweet spot as cc's increase. That's my windy way of saying go 70cc's or so.

this is my 372 running a 20" but I wouldn't be afraid to run a 32 on it,,, but then I have my big solo with a 36"er for the big stuff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10aUUxoPl18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jC5LRoLm_X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That solo runs ALOT different than that husky. Maybe it's just the way it runs but it sounds like its struggling. Probably the 36 inch bar, just a rookie guess though. I love the way husky's sound and run.

I love my 288 pulling a full comp 24 for cutting the larger stuff and limbing where I do not care to bend over as much.. My 73 YO dad totes a 357 wearing a 20 that we use for limbing too. I knock 'em down and buck them up while he tops 'em up. A couple tanks of gas and we have about a cord of wood..

I wish I could find a 288xp for a good price. I've read a lot of great things about them including that they have a great exhaust tone and they are built really well.

You are gonna LOOOOOOVE your bigger saw when you get and run it...:msp_thumbup:

I run Stihls...mainly cuz my farther did. For general bucking, modified 044s/440s are the right stuff...with a 28" bar the reach is just right and easy to limb with. Light enough for all day, but powerful enough for up to 24" timber. The 441 would be a great choice too.

For bigger wood I have found myself skipping the 066 / 660 brothers...strange, because I used to swear by 'em for big wood, but I find the Snellerized 880 the go-to saw now. Probably just the adrenaline rush I suppose, cuz that 'Ol boy ain't light...but it will turn the same high rpm's as a 660 and nothing slows it down. Even up to 48" timber it will rip through like a banshee...and rounds that big have to be quartered...for that we grab a 440!

Have fun with your new saw, it's gonna be a blast to cut faster...you are going to wonder why you waited so long!

Stay Strong and Saw Safe Brother! :msp_thumbsup:

That solo runs ALOT different than that husky. Maybe it's just the way it runs but it sounds like its struggling. Probably the 36 inch bar, just a rookie guess though. I love the way husky's sound and run.

trust me its not struggling,,, its 103cc's of raw power,,,, the reason it sounds the way it does because it is 4 stroking pretty heavy

All I cut is firewood, too. For years, my only saw was a Jonny 2150 (my second, after a many-year hiatus). This spring, I bought a new Husky 576XP for the big stuff. For bucking 20-inch and bigger logs, it's the cat's meow. Fast!!

I live on a small acreage, with an older grove, so have to take down a tree or two. The bigger saw makes dropping 30" ash and elm trees an easier task. Can it be done with the 50cc, 18" saw? Yes, indeed. The 74cc with a 24" bar makes big jobs less so.

If I find a screaming deal on a 90+cc saw, you can bet I'll jump on it. Too much power? Ha!

Jon

face cord WTF topick. Wtf must sound better or more to have a face cord.

4x4x8 of split wood is a cord. Stacked
I could care less what a face cord is unless it increases my firewood profits

4x4x8 of split wood is a cord. Stacked
I could care less what a face cord is unless it increases my firewood profits

Very good, and a 4 x 8 stack of wood cut to firewood length (18 inches for me) is a face cord. Most firewood around here is sold by the face cord, not a full cord. It goes for about $75 delivered.

Latest posts

Back