Should I make any Mods. to 3120XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollock777

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm tring to get some ideas for an 3120xp yr is 2000-2003? It's sitting at the small engine shop in town and I'm thinking of buying it. What could I do or should I do if I buy it. And what is a fair price for this saw with no bar and I heard it run sounds good. Thank you for any help you can give me. Tony

20" bar, race chain, Varney cylinder, full race port, modified carb to run alky/nitro, tuned pipe...smile and hang on ;) It'll cost ya, but it will be fun!

Look HERE and HERE to see what I am talking about.

Or, put a 48" bar on it for the 8' DBH trees that you cut on a daily basis.

Im not sure what a good used price would be but I priced a new 3120 with 36 inch bar about a month ago for $1369 plus tax. Hope this helps a little for comparison. What are you planning on using the saw for?

3120Xp

Great video Four Paws. Dustytools just want to buy a newer big saw to replace or take the place of some of my older homelites. Thinking of putting my wizzes on the shelf and my 650ss and c-72 I might sell?

Why don't you just get a John Deere sawhead harvestor....Nothing will outcut that beast...:chainsaw:
Sorry I couldn't resist.:biggrinbounce2:

I have one why would you want ot mod it? The saw is Powerful enoug as it is anda over 1,200 USD putting more cash into it? I like mine just as it is . are you planiing on cutting huge diamter trees ?

I would not mod mine . at thge pirce you pay it porbably is best to leave itas is . Just break int in with say a 36 inch bar on somne softer wood and youll be all set .

They are a imprsssivesaw of the sahelf nver mond modding it if ithelps
if it isused clean it oput or make sure the shop has tuned it upop and it runs well ask them if you cna test it o out a some timesa real good dealre wil havea demo saw . or if it is h used let you test it .

I have a Walkerized 394 only bceasue it was free . :hmm3grin2orange:

ej

yes i would woods port the saw and advace the timing if i can get one cheap enough i have three 3120's my woodsport saw turns 13'500 because of timing and porting i got 5 090 stihls that realy run too:laugh:

I have one why would you want ot mod it? The saw is Powerful enoug as it is putting more cash into it? I like mine just as it is . are you planiing on cutting huge diamter trees ?

I would not mod mine . at thge pirce you pay it porbably is best to leave itas is . Just break int in with say a 36 inch bar on somne softer wood and youll be all set .

They are a imprsssivesaw of the sahelf nver mond modding it if ithelps
if it isused clean it oput or make sure the shop has tuned it upop and it runs well ask them if you cna test it o out a some timesa real good dealre wil havea demo saw . or if it is h used let you test it .
:

I said that once about owning stock saws (just not quite the way you put it), why would anyone need to run a modded one. Then I ran some good modded saws and then ran a modded saw in big wood. SOLD, just choose your modders carefully to get the most out of your saws. Even a 084 runs alot better modded. i ran a stock 084 and 3 084's modded by different people and each modded one had its own character in the cuts.

Great video Four Paws. Dustytools just want to buy a newer big saw to replace or take the place of some of my older homelites. Thinking of putting my wizzes on the shelf and my 650ss and c-72 I might sell?

JJust read this post! If you wont to sell a whiz please PM me, very cool ol saw!

3120 mods

the 3120 already has alot of power stock,but you can open up the intake,exhaust and transfer ports,pipe the muffler and put in an older ignition module to get rid of the electronic governor.then you will have a real saw!

You can do anything to that saw that can be done to a saw except make it light. You could make one heck of a race saw out of it. Heck, you can run it as is and tear through some 60" Doug fir no problem. And you will work your triceps and biceps at the same time (its a bit hefty). If the guy said $800 and it runs good, grab it and run.

BUUUUUUUT.....
If your just going to cut 12" fire wood logs with it you will be disappointed.

If you don't want it...... I do.:D
To bad you are not out west here. There are two 3120's for sale, one in the local buy and sell, "3120 good condidtion $550" and at the local pawn there is one as new for $750 these are Canadian prices so knock off 10-15% for USD. They have both been for sale for at least 3 weeks. I would buy one but have no use for one and do find them very heavy.:popcorn:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back