Should I pull the trigger on this Stihl 036?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have several smaller(40cc) saws and a big saw in the 80-90cc range, but was thinking that I need something in 55-70cc range so I've started looking around. I spotted a used MS310 with a Stihl hard case in a pawn shop today for $240 but I see it has mixed reviews. Down the road there's a 038 Super for $310 that looks good for its age, and this Craigslist about 50 miles away for a 036 for $335 http://salem.craigslist.org/for/5920873430.html
I have a compression tester and have rebuilt Stihl saws from time to time, if needed. At the asking price of the 036 and 038S if they're not close to 160 or more, I'd walk away.

I only burn about 3 cords of oak a year, but we recently had a severe ice storm and local downed trees are free for the taking and I'm a wood hoarder.

Would you pick one of these, or should I keep looking?

If the saws are in good shape, those are good prices for all three. Actually the 310 is probably the "worst" saw but the best deal as far as the market goes. I think all three would make you happy.

After looking at the 036, it looks like a very fair deal if it runs as good as it looks and has no issues. An o38 super is considerably closer to the weight of most modern 80+ cc saws with little power advantage over a well tuned 036. MS310 a little heavier then the 036 w/ less power. IMO as an in between saw the 036 would be my first choice unless cash was an issue. If u don't mind the weight the 038S would make u happy . Nothing wrong with an ms310 if its well maintained, just a little less saw in some area's. Nice thing about Stihls, they have good resale characteristics should you not be happy to keep it.

I have an 036 pro I bought new in 1996. I love it, you can't go wrong with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If the saws are in good shape, those are good prices for all three. Actually the 310 is probably the "worst" saw but the best deal as far as the market goes. I think all three would make you happy.
BIL has had ms 310 for some time and has been a solid no fuss saw even if doesn't get much love.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Here's another saw that came into the picture:
00J0J_d2iukAZWTwd_1200x900.jpg

The owner stated it was a 70cc saw, but I have little experience with Jonsered products beyond their reputation.
Can someone identify the model? Is is a 70E?. The asking price is only $150

I like my 034. I'd really like to run an 036 to see the difference. Do you mind me asking where you got your dual spikes? Also, are you using a standard clutch cover with that type of chain catch? I've been upgrading my saw a little at a time. I bought an 036 muffler but haven't swapped it yet.

i have 3 036's John. after the first one the next 2 were easy. plenty of power for the size it is.most parts stihl available. the price is about ballpark for that saw. i did upgrade mine to the dual spikes.View attachment 551029

Nice saws!

Well cared for obviously. :rock:

Had two 036's and loved them. If you get one and it does not have the bigger bearing on the clutch sprocket then U should switch it out promptly in my opinion.
I read how the thinner bearing would blowout and tear up the bar oiler rubber hose. Dam if it didn't do it to me, had I switched out the bearing and sprocket for the larger one then I'd not had that problem.

I like my 034. I'd really like to run an 036 to see the difference. Do you mind me asking where you got your dual spikes? Also, are you using a standard clutch cover with that type of chain catch? I've been upgrading my saw a little at a time. I bought an 036 muffler but haven't swapped it yet.
those are stock stihl spikes. i'll see if i can locate the #'s as i got the info from another member a few years ago. that is the stock clutch cover.

Had two 036's and loved them. If you get one and it does not have the bigger bearing on the clutch sprocket then U should switch it out promptly in my opinion.
I read how the thinner bearing would blowout and tear up the bar oiler rubber hose. Dam if it didn't do it to me, had I switched out the bearing and sprocket for the larger one then I'd not had that problem.

That was one of the first things I did- simple insurance.

That Jonsered looks like it could be a good deal if it hasn't issues. I like the feel of most the Jonsereds I have run but I never used any 1 of them long enough to form an opinion to reliability characteristics. I expect unlike the 036 it would be a heavy limber, but a stronger saw then the 038 super. I always felt the 034-036 saws were optimum with a 20" 3/8 bar. Fairly fuel efficient, plenty of power in all but the hardest wood and my body likes that reach, weight and balance. .325 chain is OK but I rather have less cutters to sharpen. I have run 25" bars on them and didn't feel handicapped in average and softer woods like black oak and pin oak. White oak felt a bit much.

That 036 will not be there forever if it still is, but I imagine there will be others here and there or may be it isn't your cup of tea. There is dozens + other comparable saws to split hairs with. Few of them will hold a resale value as well should you decide its not for you after using 1 for a while. Usually when I advertise a good used Stihl reasonable, its sold within 2 or 3 days.

Back