Should I sell my 920 and get a 2186?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Should I keep the 920 or sell it and find a good used 2186?
I know parts is a factor on the 920 ,a big factor.I wanting to start a small(on weekends and when Iam laid off) wood cutting/splitting and may be tree removel business.I love to cut wood.I can't not afford a new 2186.A used would work out better for now,plus I can get parts from my dealer.Any and all opinions apppericated. Thank-you :help:

Are air filters available yet? Vibe isolators? Barring accidents or abuse, I'd say that's the only parts you'll need until the saw needs an overhaul. Bars and chain will be available for quite a while yet.

Good used chainsaws are tough to find if you're low on cash, but there are always clunkers out there to get stuck with. Better to stay with what you have, I think. If you're looking to cut firewood, etc. Jonsered 2186 is not a bad saw, but you'll be happier with 2171 or maybe even 2165, as they're lighter, and do have enough power for 24" bar in green wood, 20" bar in dead, dry oak.

Do not be afraid to try other makes if you find one. There is something to be said about name recognition...it makes used saws worth more in some people's eyes, but is it really true? I drove a Rambler all through school...it was butt-ugly, but it wouldn't die. I paid next to nothing for it because the original owner was mad when he couldn't get anything for it as a trade-in after AMC folded.

watch evil bay or a buy sell trade mag and pick up some parts or a parts saw then buy a new smaller one to boot. if its a buisness you can deduct it from taxes. :yoyo:

I have over 10 920's now and i have a new 2171. The 2171 is lots faster and lighter than the 920's. If i were you I would buy a new 2171 rather than the 2186 for cost cutting reasons. if you are just cutting fire wood part time, the 2171 will do more than enough.

Depending on how large of wood that you will be cutting on a regular basis. I have a 2186 w/32 inch bar, and it cuts great. The smaller 2171 is great as well as the 2156and down to the 2152 for a 16 inch bar. My favorite is the 2165 with 20 inch bar.

I Would Think Since You Say You Cant Afford A New Saw, Keep The 920 And Try To Find Another Used Saw So You Have A Back Up. Providing You Are Going To Start A Bussiness. Parts Are Out There For Your Jonsered. If You Have A Back Up Use ONE Saw Till You Can Get The Other Saw Fixed. If You Hang Around Here Long You Will Most Likely End Up With A Collection Anyway. Finding Saws With Scored Cylinders AND REPAIRING THEM Is Another Option To Having A Good Saw On A Budget. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies to this post.Iam getting 2 more 920's next week or so_One is a parts saw the other a runner.:blob2:

Keep the old saw

Parts are still available for that 920...just not as available as say a 2171 but in my opinion the 2186 is way to big for firewood or residential tree removal. I have one in my shed as a demo and it rareley get used because of the weight and the fact that I can get by with much smaller saw. as you know Jonsereds are known for there hi rev and high speed:greenchainsaw:

Back