Should I start a business????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a former employee climber that nearly died when a falling branch ruptured his spleen.

Yes. He came down out of the tree with the branch when the trunk broke. He was working for a hack on a cash-only basis, so he was on his own for the massive medical bills.

Just a reminder to the guys considering opening a business, the title of this thread...

:agree2::rock:
Jeff

What was miraculous about the bike wreck was that it didn't kill me. The helicopter ride saved my life, I was bleeding out internally with a lacerated spleen.

You mean this one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWMOM3tEkvs

You can download the video if you like, just change the names to protect the guilty. That barber chair was a result of my leaving a piece at the back for "more control" by using plunge cuts. It snapped off before I could complete the cut. I thought I whacked it off pretty quick though, I hoped no one would notice.

Is it referred to as barberchair when it's on the back of a bore cut? Just a strip of holding wood that didn't get cut through. Didn't look dangerous to me. I went through a few of your other vids trying to find the one pdql was referencing. Found this little gem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEHNoIRTYU Quite the hemlock tree there. lol

That was me who asked if you were a spike trimmer? only fair due to the way the pic presented you!

depending on where you work out of in the burgh......chances are I have been close? Mt Lebanon, upper st.clair, greentree, foxchapell, squirell hill & just about everywhere in between!!

did you work outta the hall from greentree? If so I might even know you???

LXT................

Up, Up, and away ...

That was me who asked if you were a spike trimmer? only fair due to the way the pic presented you!

Not fair at all to jump to a conclusion based on faulty reasoning. I was descending after setting my TIP to limb walk and drop the lower branches which needed roped because they were over the garage. You only go up when working a tree?

depending on where you work out of in the burgh......chances are I have been close? Mt Lebanon, upper st.clair, greentree, foxchapell, squirell hill & just about everywhere in between!! did you work outta the hall from greentree? If so I might even know you???

I'm working in Mt. Lebanon this week, wanna come watch? I'll even hire you as a groundie for the day if you want to work. Pretty complex take down (I'll be using my gaffs)

i often wonder how anyone got into the tree business?
it seems everyone already in the tree business, says it sucks... and anyone wanting to enter into their world is an outsider , frowned upon, cursed at, and chased away.
is this more of a business strategy to keep competition low?
everyone has to start somewhere, no?
it seems like its a little secret society or something, thats the impression i get, i did residential/commerical tree work on a crew for over a year, was the lead groundie (big honor, i know) and it seemed like a bit of a secret society, my boss (who was new to owning a company, but not new to the world of climbing) seemed like he was an outsider. wed pull up to the diesel pumps at the truck stop in the morning and the other tree crews would be there.. some would talk to him, others would give him the cold shoulder. at first i thought there would be some sort of comradery amongst tree crews, the more i worked with him, the more i realized how wrong i was, there was one other company in particular that were real cool guys around our age, we would always talk to them at the bagelsmith, but most of the others seem to be trying SO hard to exude that tough guy persona, they had to look AND act the part, seems like a lot to keep up with.. it almost reminds me of the "tru####nd hipster" type kids you hear about now.. they try so hard to be "against the system" and "unique" but all they are doing is falling into line like the rest of the sheep. no matter what profession you are in, you should always be yourself. to me it seemed like so many of these guys ojn the other crews were so wrapped up in the tough tree guy persona, they were too busy to look in the mirror and realize how ridiculous the whole thing was.
they are trees... if someone wants to spend their life caring for them and learning about them.. who is anyone to tell them they cant?

I think I saw some spikes on your white pine trim?? Why do all of your vids cut off before you top anything??? then pick up again when you drop the spar? some good laughs in your vids ill be waiting for more =)

Not fair at all to jump to a conclusion based on faulty reasoning. I was descending after setting my TIP to limb walk and drop the lower branches which needed roped because they were over the garage. You only go up when working a tree?

I'm working in Mt. Lebanon this week, wanna come watch? I'll even hire you as a groundie for the day if you want to work. Pretty complex take down (I'll be using my gaffs)

Faulty reasoning uh? Im wondering who you are?? cuz I worked that area & still do from time to time........trained alot of guys from up there!!

I have alot of work down here to keep me busy for a long time!! but who knows maybe one day my team & I can come help!!

be safe & take care!!

LXT.....................

You're in the Fight Club, what do you expect?

i often wonder how anyone got into the tree business?
it seems everyone already in the tree business, says it sucks... and anyone wanting to enter into their world is an outsider , frowned upon, cursed at, and chased away.
is this more of a business strategy to keep competition low?
everyone has to start somewhere, no?
it seems like its a little secret society or something, thats the impression i get, i did residential/commerical tree work on a crew for over a year, was the lead groundie (big honor, i know) and it seemed like a bit of a secret society, my boss (who was new to owning a company, but not new to the world of climbing) seemed like he was an outsider. wed pull up to the diesel pumps at the truck stop in the morning and the other tree crews would be there.. some would talk to him, others would give him the cold shoulder. at first i thought there would be some sort of comradery amongst tree crews, the more i worked with him, the more i realized how wrong i was, there was one other company in particular that were real cool guys around our age, we would always talk to them at the bagelsmith, but most of the others seem to be trying SO hard to exude that tough guy persona, they had to look AND act the part, seems like a lot to keep up with.. it almost reminds me of the "tru####nd hipster" type kids you hear about now.. they try so hard to be "against the system" and "unique" but all they are doing is falling into line like the rest of the sheep. no matter what profession you are in, you should always be yourself. to me it seemed like so many of these guys ojn the other crews were so wrapped up in the tough tree guy persona, they were too busy to look in the mirror and realize how ridiculous the whole thing was.
they are trees... if someone wants to spend their life caring for them and learning about them.. who is anyone to tell them they cant?

Successful climbers tend to develop somewhat of a God complex because by the nature of the job the are God (if only a lesser one) when they are working a tree. This is a much sought after position among tree workers as once gained is coveted and protected.

I once was hired as a climber by a well established local tree company and being older (I was in my 50s) it irritated one of the groundies who felt he was ready to be promoted to climber. The other groundies supported their co-worker and I got the very minimum of help from the ground crew and I was even endangered by their miss handling of the lowering ropes, at one point being knocked off the tree by a large trunk section they held at my level instead of letting it fall by me before arresting it.

I started lowering my own cuts and that just made them even more irritated. I came to a head when after a while the wannabe climber tried to head butt me during a "conversation". I was wearing my climbing hat and he was not wearing his hard hat so he just knocked himself silly.

Funny thing was, after that he became my rope man and was able to actually respect and learn from me.

This place seems to be a similar situation, no one is really much interested in dialog about climbing and rigging here it seems, but I have been under attack by a continual stream of members who seek to somehow discredit me with their comments. This forum is a Fight Club for tree workers who seem to favor argument over dialog.

I'm hoping that over time this will lighten up and we can talk about climbing and rigging with members who care about such things and drop their adversarial nit picking. We'll see how it goes.

Faulty reasoning uh? Im wondering who you are?? cuz I worked that area & still do from time to time... I have alot of work down here to keep me busy for a long time!! but who knows maybe one day my team & I can come help!!...

You were quite sure that the tree was being mishandled because nobody comes down a tree after setting their TIP, I'd say that was faulty reasoning and the proof of it was in the photographs I provided of it's take down.

You don't have to wonder who I am, come and meet me in Mt. Lebanon. I only offered you a job as a groundie because that's the position I put anyone in on their first day. Since you seem very experienced I may hire you for a day (or half a day) as climber. I have three trees to take down, you could pick one.

What would you charge for a six hour day in Mt. lebanon? I plan to start the job on Tuesday, with Wednesday or Thursday as needed.

You were quite sure that the tree was being mishandled because nobody comes down a tree after setting their TIP, I'd say that was faulty reasoning and the proof of it was in the photographs I provided of it's take down.

You don't have to wonder who I am, come and meet me in Mt. Lebanon. I only offered you a job as a groundie because that's the position I put anyone in on their first day. Since you seem very experienced I may hire you for a day (or half a day) as climber. I have three trees to take down, you could pick one.

What would you charge for a six hour day in Mt. lebanon? I plan to start the job on Tuesday, with Wednesday or Thursday as needed.

Didnt read weather you were the thread starter. My only advice pertaining to starting your own op is that you have it mapped out in your head, triple whatever $ you think you need, have a strong grip mentally and physicaly on reality, and hold on. If you pay for your gear and advertising in cash, you may have a chance. If you have payments, you probably wont. Mortgaged equipment Insurance, tax, titles, advertising = no joke. Unless you have a benefactor....

Last edited:
Yeah right, me too!

I can see why there is no paint left on the bar of that saw.. man, you'd think there where teeth on the side of that thing or something, the way that dude was cutting.. Jeepers!

Maybe cut to commercial precisely when the hedge was smashed to bits ...

That's All Folks ... but there's photos!

Is there a part 2 to the spruce removal I wanted to see where you parked that top Ariel arborist

No, sadly I got 45 min of the camera running on a tripod facing the backyard while the crane took me up and plucked it off the house, then pulled the two remaining parts of the tree and laid them in the driveway.

I do have a gallery of stills my wife took while the videocam was pointed the wrong way:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Aerial.Arborist.Service/CraneHemlock

We were still trying to work out getting both video and stills and we didn't do real well on either. We're better now.

No, sadly I got 45 min of the camera running on a tripod facing the backyard while the crane took me up and plucked it off the house, then pulled the two remaining parts of the tree and laid them in the driveway.

I do have a gallery of stills my wife took while the videocam was pointed the wrong way:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Aerial.Arborist.Service/CraneHemlock

We were still trying to work out getting both video and stills and we didn't do real well on either. We're better now.

You picked the top , seems like you cut the video with a pull rope hooked up and told the guys to take it to the truck, I dunno maybe we are talking about different videos .....

Breaking my silence once again. Dude, that job looked like cake and unless that crane was yours and on your dime, well, maybe you over-think things, ( yeah, I am ready for it! Hey guy's, show AA we don't play favorites). Sock it to me!
Jeff :heart:

You picked the top , seems like you cut the video with a pull rope hooked up and told the guys to take it to the truck, I dunno maybe we are talking about different videos .....

A lot of the confusion is lying with AA's bewilderment as to what type of tree he's cutting. The job your referring to was a spruce that he calls a pine. The job he's talking about is an arborvitae that he thinks is a hemlock. On that spruce vid, by the way he was dropping the limbs I'm quite certain he doesn't consider hedges to be targets. On the arborvitae any tree guy worth his salt could have had it on the ground safely before the outriggers of the crane were set. It'd be one thing if he was a young guy, or my age, or yours, or just getting into the business but after 40 some years I honestly am amazed he hasn't killed himself or destroyed something major. It's a shame he's so sure of himself because he's funny and could probably hang and learn a few things. He's a bit entertaining but I think someone just needs to run this no talent hack off already.

A lot of the confusion is lying with AA's bewilderment as to what type of tree he's cutting. The job your referring to was a spruce that he calls a pine. The job he's talking about is an arborvitae that he thinks is a hemlock. On that spruce vid, by the way he was dropping the limbs I'm quite certain he doesn't consider hedges to be targets. On the arborvitae any tree guy worth his salt could have had it on the ground safely before the outriggers of the crane were set. It'd be one thing if he was a young guy, or my age, or yours, or just getting into the business but after 40 some years I honestly am amazed he hasn't killed himself or destroyed something major. It's a shame he's so sure of himself because he's funny and could probably hang and learn a few things. He's a bit entertaining but I think someone just needs to run this no talent hack off already.

Ouch, Blakes. But totally true.
Jeff

I haven't been following this whole thing too closely, and have only been able to see a couple of the vids, but I think jeffers said troll, and I gotta agree. Nobody could be that annoying and not be a troll.. just sayin.

... and nobody could be that bad with tree ID after 40 years. Annoying.

Latest posts

Back