Should I trade early 044 Mag. for 064AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wookatdis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, first time poster, long time lurker. So, lately I've been on a major saw restoration kick. I've always wanted an 044 Mag, just never came across one for the right price. After finding an early model 10mm slant fin for 375 I was ecstatic. However, another on my list of legends is the 064. I'm currently talking to a fella who posted one for trade and is interested in taking the 044 for it.

I want to hear your opinions on it and help me in my debate on whether or not I should go through with it or hold off and hope to find another 064 in really good condition. Thanks in advance for any insight fellas. Cheers

First off, first time poster, long time lurker. So, lately I've been on a major saw restoration kick. I've always wanted an 044 Mag, just never came across one for the right price. After finding an early model 10mm slant fin for 375 I was ecstatic. However, another on my list of legends is the 064. I'm currently talking to a fella who posted one for trade and is interested in taking the 044 for it.

I want to hear your opinions on it and help me in my debate on whether or not I should go through with it or hold off and hope to find another 064 in really good condition. Thanks in advance for any insight fellas. Cheers
The 064's are largely overrated, good saws in their day, but an early 066 is better by far.
I think the waters get murky on them cause when they came out they were the bees knees as it were.
But they didn't last long for a reason, and parts are a serious PITA to get, sold both the ones I had, and happy to be rid of em.
If you decide to hop them up, they really come alive, but then you risk reliability some, cause they do lend themselves well to extreme modification.... which leads to extreme detonation so?

So hang on to that slant top 044.

The 064's are largely overrated, good saws in their day, but an early 066 is better by far.
I think the waters get murky on them cause when they came out they were the bees knees as it were.
But they didn't last long for a reason, and parts are a serious PITA to get, sold both the ones I had, and happy to be rid of em.
If you decide to hop them up, they really come alive, but then you risk reliability some, cause they do lend themselves well to extreme modification.... which leads to extreme detonation so?

So hang on to that slant top 044.
That's all I needed to hear. Thanks Northman. TBH, I didn't need much convincing, I was interested in the guys 066 but he wanted to keep that and give me the 064 instead. I'll definitely be keeping the 044. This just reinforces my desire to hang on to it for good.

In my own humble opinion- a good 064 can run with a stock 066, if the operator of the 064 knows how to use a saw and can file a chain. It also has the added advantage of being more 046 in weight than 066 in weight.
The 10mm 044 is good and if you have one, keep it.
Be patient- there are plenty of 066's kicking about, bide your time, find one in the right price range and or condition and build it up.
I recently started an 066 build with a crankcase that had been annoying me for years- took a few months to gather all the serious Stihl genuine bits to build it up, still has aftermarket clutch/sprocket cover and spikes on that outside, aftermarket muffler and aftermarket front handle- but the rest of the serious stuff is genuine Stihl. Has about 15 hours run time on it now and getting stronger.

Really depends on what your saw use is.

The 064 is bigger and heavier than the 044, especially the 10mm variant. The 064 is 13cc larger in displacement and the oiler (NLA-or nearly impossible to find) will oil a much longer bar than the 044’s (which is known to be stingy with no HO offering).

Many respected porters swear that they can make more power out of the 52mm 064 cylinder than the 54mm 066 cylinder. The 064 jug had better timing and most were K$ castings with great tight uppers. the 1122 pistons have very narrow skirts which limit their breathing ability.

If you’re primarily or mostly cutting wood in the 28” plus range, I’d go 064 personally.

I've got a 10mil 044 and absolutely love it. My go to saw for most tasks at this point. I just acquired an 064 and have only made a few cuts. It's a little slower than the 44, but feels a bit stronger. The thing I really like about it though is it's weight and how it feels. I would agree with what was said above, if your gonna primarily cut big wood go with the 064.

I like them both, but I've never used a 10 mm 044. Power to weight in the 064 is impressive, and I think the slightly narrower profile of the 0_4 series makes it my favorite. Out of what was once well over fifty saws, I am keeping that series. If the 064 had a decomp, it would be hands down my favorite. Short bar nine pin sprocket.....

Maybe someday it'll gain the cult status of the 44, but until then, well, you know, one of each might be best just to cover the bases.

I currently have several of both. A lot of parts from a 066, MS660 with fit a 064. Pretty nice 044s pop up pretty often, nice 064s are pretty rare. Other than the weight I would take a nice 064 any day. They are a cutting beast and I can't tell the difference in power from an 066, but I can tell a weight difference. An 064 is a tad heavier than an 046 and got the power of an 066. Power to weight the 064 is up there. An 044 slant fin as I have one of those runs smooth and seems like the perfect saw in just about every way for its purpose.

I have a super clean 10mm 044, I sold my clean 440 to my cousin to pay for it. Came with original scrench, case and manual. I sure think it lives up to the hype. There were 3 stihls I always wanted. The 044 I have, the 038 mag which I just got (was being scrapped and I ain’t kiddin) and an 064 which I’m still looking for. D1AA7F58-40AA-465E-8EEF-215F5F4CB9D0.jpeg6F62C4C9-8D35-4E50-A4FE-3A062A5433D6.jpeg26794F0A-9F17-4281-AA3D-86BEDBEFE6FC.jpegClearly the 064 picture is missing

I have a super clean 10mm 044, I sold my clean 440 to my cousin to pay for it. Came with original scrench, case and manual. I sure think it lives up to the hype. There were 3 stihls I always wanted. The 044 I have, the 038 mag which I just got (was being scrapped and I ain’t kiddin) and an 064 which I’m still looking for. View attachment 903083View attachment 903085View attachment 903087Clearly the 064 picture is missing

Good find on the 038M. It needs a post in the you suck thread.

When cleaned up and running right you'll find it's pretty close to the 044 in cutting.

I decided to keep a nice 038 mag, simply because I can. I have two climbing saws, then an 024, 440 both basically new, a later 064 that is surprisingly good despite having had used motor oil run through the bar oil system, and now the 038 is staying with me. Dwon from over sixty saws two years ago, to six keepers. I chose the 440 over the late 044 I have, because I think they are pretty much the same saw, though I haven't pulled muffler covers to compare porting. I'd like to someday see a comparison of the 10 mm and 12 mm 044 cylinders to see if they are that much different.

Bringing back an old thread. Now another year plus has passed and I've cut a bunch of wood with both. My conclusion is the 064 is one heck of a saw. With its bigger engine and longer bar ability if I had to keep one it'd be the 064. However, I do grab the 044 off the shelf most of the time to cut.

Wondering what the original poster ended up doing?

If your gonna run a 32 or 36 inch bar often, the 064 is better. With a 28" and under bar, the 10mm 044 is gonna be better, and likely faster, mine was. I kept the 10mm 044 and sent my nice early lightweight 064 down the road. As has been said. The 066 is superior to the 064 in general. The 044 is way more useful and a 10mm runs like a mildly ported saw, sounds like one too.

Latest posts

Back