Should it cost...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on shop rate and the speed/experience of the installer!

Bearings, seals, gaskets (oem) - maybe $60.. 4-5 hours at $60 per - $300... Plus misc stuff and tax, and it can = $400...

I can do the end-to-end job in about 2.5 hours, but usually there's a bunch of other stuff that needs looking at so it turns into a half day plus job. I also have the factory tools. If the saw is a filthy POS, it can take 30 minutes just to clean it up prior to working on it (I don't split cases untill most of the dirt is gone.

Last edited:
Depends on shop rate and the speed/experience of the installer!

Bearings, seals, gaskets (oem) - maybe $60.. 4-5 hours at $60 per - $300... Plus misc stuff and tax, and it can = $400...

I can do the end-to-end job in about 2.5 hours, but usually there's a bunch of other stuff that needs looking at so it turns into a half day plus job. I also have the factory tools. If the saw is a filthy POS, it can take 30 minutes just to clean it up prior to working on it (I don't split cases untill most of the dirt is gone.

Thanks. What is your opinion on this. I have a friend that's an arborist, and his buddy was running his 260 Pro, and dropped it, in a ditch full of water. The saw was completely submerged. After a few days of sitting, the guys tried starting it, and after a while of trying finally got it to run, but it did not run good and made a lot of noise. The company Stihl shop told him that the bearings are shot. The saw is just over a year old. Does that make sense?
I did not look at the saw nor hear it run.

Thanks. What is your opinion on this. I have a friend that's an arborist, and his buddy was running his 260 Pro, and dropped it, in a ditch full of water. The saw was completely submerged. After a few days of sitting, the guys tried starting it, and after a while of trying finally got it to run, but it did not run good and made a lot of noise. The company Stihl shop told him that the bearings are shot. The saw is just over a year old. Does that make sense?

How long did it run in the water? Did he clean ALL the fluids before starting. It is possable

Pure water isn't the problem - it's the mud/grit... and sitting (rust) is a disaster. I hate to think what the crank big-end is like... and once it's run without serious flushing with alcohol etc, and relubing, the damage is done.

sounds about right, shame he did not clean it up after sitting into a ditch full of water.
tell he to put it on e-bay, and some poor sap will buy it, it will be a guy on here, and i can see the post now, got this saw cheap.....but

Last edited:
sounds about right, shame he did not clean it up after sitting into a ditch full of water.
tell he to put it on e-bay, and some poor sap will buy it, it will be a guy on here, and i can see the post now, got this saw cheap.....but

He decided to do the labor himself and fix it.

Pure water isn't the problem - it's the mud/grit... and sitting (rust) is a disaster. I hate to think what the crank big-end is like... and once it's run without serious flushing with alcohol etc, and relubing, the damage is done.

He showed it to me last night, he had it torn down except for splitting the case. The piston looks almost like brand new. I didn't see the cylinder. The crankcase looked fine. I couldn't see the bearings, so I don't know about them. NO rust anywhere on the saw.

How long did it run in the water? Did he clean ALL the fluids before starting. It is possable
It couldn't have been in the water for more than a couple minutes. I mean, he didn't leave it in the water, he pulled it out as fast as possible.

Yo, so how much is a new MS-260 Pro, Bro?

Said he paid $530

did he drain the water out of the carb, before starting it?
enough water to hydro lock it when he tryed to start it?
did he atleast pull the plug before starting it?

did he drain the water out of the carb, before starting it?
enough water to hydro lock it when he tryed to start it?
did he atleast pull the plug before starting it?

Not sure exactly what all he did, but he said that he dried out the cylinder before starting it.

He says the bearings cost $20 something each?
Bearings for the Dolmar 7900 are under $10 each!

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what all he did, but he said that he dried out the cylinder before starting it.

if it fell into the water running, it could of hydro locked, which is not too good for the bearings, and rod.

There's a healthy mark-up for the dealer in that price. The clutch side is custom. The flywheel side - you can get away with $3 generic. Buy a "set of gaskets", not each seal individually - about 1/2 the price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back