Show me your shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my work shop. Don't mind the mess. I'm in the process of doing some "spring cleaning". It's usually spotless. I'm a stickler for cleanliness and organization. I have what I consider 4 sections. The small section I keep my motorcycles in. The upstairs loft is for general parts storage. And the main section I work in. The back section is usually open, but in the winter I have a big tarp that I have rigged with paracord and a couple of pulleys, so I can lower and raise it at will. It's a decent sized work shop, so it allows me to lower the tarp down, so I only have to heat where I'm generally working.
Pics 1-4 is the main/back section. Pic 5 is my small section. Pic 6-7 is the upstairs loft.
Pic 8 is the small section, where I keep nuts/bolts, screws, nails, ect. Like I said, I'm a big stickler for organization and cleanliness lol.

Attachments

• 20231101_200025.jpg
    20231101_200025.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_200125.jpg
    20231101_200125.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_200155.jpg
    20231101_200155.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_200102.jpg
    20231101_200102.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_200222.jpg
    20231101_200222.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231030_203533.jpg
    20231030_203533.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_201451.jpg
    20231101_201451.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
This is my work shop. Don't mind the mess. I'm in the process of doing some "spring cleaning". It's usually spotless. I'm a stickler for cleanliness and organization. I have what I consider 4 sections. The small section I keep my motorcycles in. The upstairs loft is for general parts storage. And the main section I work in. The back section is usually open, but in the winter I have a big tarp that I have rigged with paracord and a couple of pulleys, so I can lower and raise it at will. It's a decent sized work shop, so it allows me to lower the tarp down, so I only have to heat where I'm generally working.
Pics 1-4 is the main/back section. Pic 5 is my small section. Pic 6-7 is the upstairs loft.
Pic 8 is the small section, where I keep nuts/bolts, screws, nails, ect. Like I said, I'm a big stickler for organization and cleanliness lol.
Niceee

You need to plan for efficient storage and workflow. Don't neglect lighting.
Suggestion: Build a spare outside work table with a 16"-24" strip of plywood and fold-able or stack-able saw horses. This doubles your workbench size and lets you do grinding or nasty chemicals in the open air. Easy to store out of the way when you aren't using it.

You need to plan for efficient storage and workflow. Don't neglect lighting.
Suggestion: Build a spare outside work table with a 16"-24" strip of plywood and fold-able or stack-able saw horses. This doubles your workbench size and lets you do grinding or nasty chemicals in the open air. Easy to store out of the way when you aren't using it.
I will be building it right next to my open air workshop.

20231015_142455.jpg20231015_193521.jpg

I also have a dust extractor so that way I will not need to go outside to do sanding. I bought the dust extractor because it was on sale from $700 to $550. Wood dust drives me absolutely crazy and I have an extreme allergy to it. It was still a very worthwhile purchase and has saved me a lot of cleanup and down time from being congested all the time. It also extends the life of blades, sanding attachments, as well as respirator filters.

Nice saw fence. I prefer the Biesmeyer but they are getting tough to locate. The unifence does have advantages also.
I’ve used both but prefer the Uni. Biesmeyer May be easier to adapt jigs to but I’ve been able to build whatever jig I need adapted to this fence. The ability to lay it flat has come in handy for smart piece cuts.

Not sure if we're allowed to reference other forums but the Garage Journal has some really nice gallery threads on smaller spaces and how to overcome the challenges that come with limited space.

My current personal shop is 54x72x18 and is used for farm repair and as a heated parking space for the skid loader and other farm stuff used in the winter that I want to start when it's -25f and windy. I've setup a fair bit of pallet racking to keep stuff off the floor and have created a few "specialized" areas under some of them. An oil change/supplies area, chainsaw storage/maintenance area, small woodworking area, parts storage areas and the list goes on.

Anything is amazing when you are starting out and can call it your own ! I started wrenching on trucks in a lean-to with a dirt floor on our dairy farm when I was your age. Just having my own space was such an amazing thing !

I will be building it right next to my open air workshop.

View attachment 1124561View attachment 1124562

I also have a dust extractor so that way I will not need to go outside to do sanding. I bought the dust extractor because it was on sale from $700 to $550. Wood dust drives me absolutely crazy and I have an extreme allergy to it. It was still a very worthwhile purchase and has saved me a lot of cleanup and down time from being congested all the time. It also extends the life of blades, sanding attachments, as well as respirator filters.
What's up in the tree house above? Why can't that convert to a workshop if it's already enclosed? Bring in power and a radiant space heater, you're in!

Back