Show Photos of your Stoves, inserts, and furnaces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just over 1400 square feet. The big room has lots of windows, but they don't seem to affect the heating up of the house by the stove. I close off two of the bedrooms until it gets too hot, and then open those rooms up, and after a while it is too hot again.

Remember, I live in a mild climate compared to most folks. It may get below freezing tonight, and daytime temps are in the 30s or 40s this time of year.

My Central Classic 6048 OWB. I burn about 25 cords of wood a year in it using it year round for heat and hot water for 2 houses.

100_0002.jpg

My Algier 2x6 wood fired maple sap evaporator.

100_0007.jpg

downsized_0211121414b.jpg

My Central Classic 6048 OWB. I burn about 25 cords of wood a year in it using it year round for heat and hot water for 2 houses.

My Algier 2x6 wood fired maple sap evaporator.
Wow, very impressive! You've got us all beat I think!

this is my Hardy H4 i have had it for four years and it paid for itself in three,it heat my home and my shop and it burns year round for our hot water which is unlimited,the wife likes that!View attachment 266493

I used to have a house with a basement like that. Except lower. It was a real head knocker, and I'm vertically challenged myself. ;o)

…just trying to help you out. Cross your t's and dot your i's! I have read my insurance policy though.
I’ve read mine also… and there’s no specifics on wood burning appliances… or gas burning appliances… or oil burning appliances… or…

His build and install looks just as good or better as some commercial units. Seems if they "allow" any wood burning at all, his would pass muster OK. … If the guy in the suit with the nodding head looked at it and didn't change the policy to disallow it, or cancel outright, or say something, etc.. they would have a hard time denying a claim.
You got that right.

We’ve hashed this out before.
Insurance companies are regulated by the State and local governments… what they can or cannot do in one location ain’t the same in another. Basically they can’t deny me coverage because of my “modified” (or even homemade) wood stove unless I’ve hidden its existence from them. They can deny me coverage if I’m found to be negligent… which likely is the case anywhere you live. Suppose your house burns down and the insurance company claims you were negligent because you didn’t clean the chimney last week…
See, it really doesn’t make any difference. If they get it in their head they don’t want to pay, they’ll find a way not to pay… Or, if local regulations force them to pay, they’ll just drop your coverage after the settlement.

Heat with an old Glenwood Stoves furnace. Been in there since the 1970's sometime. Its in the cellar of an older house, not a nice finished basement like most of the pics I have seen on here.
There is a wood/coal room next to it down there also. Makes it easy to get to the wood. Only hassle is, ya take out a small window, and toss wood in to fill the wood room.

In 2008 I put in a 8" flex stainless steel chimney liner. Was just a bare brick chimney. The propane furnace/AC sits next to it. It utilizes the fan from the gas furnace to move air when called for. It is centrally located, so it heats very well. Lot of heat just naturally rises in the duct work. Its ugly, but works great!:biggrin:

Here are couple pics & the house it heats.
100_0112-1.jpg

100_0114-1.jpg

100_0238-1.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Here's my inefficient fireplace... I'm new to the house and after only lighting a fire 8-10 times,it is coming out and I'm putting in either a free standing stove or an insert.(haven't made up my mind yet, and depends on what I find for the best price). I have time off during Xmas that I'm going to do the upgrade

B7DF099D-F74C-408A-A487-0498DD133CC5-378-0000016C2D284EB8.jpg

32FB7CF4-5BA0-4F7F-96AB-8945162C9350-378-00000172AA87A004.jpg

@ OhioGregg,

I used a Glenwood for about 10 years before I got the OWB. Hot water coil type, not forced air like yours. Loved it. Had to get rid of it because my flue had 7 bends in it from the stove to the roof and I was having creosote problems. It went around a fireplace on the floor above. Bad design.
Got the stove for free, used it for 10 years, sold it for $600.

attachment.php

@ OhioGregg,

I used a Glenwood for about 10 years before I got the OWB. Hot water coil type, not forced air like yours. Loved it. Had to get rid of it because my flue had 7 bends in it from the stove to the roof and I was having creosote problems. It went around a fireplace on the floor above. Bad design.
Got the stove for free, used it for 10 years, sold it for $600.

attachment.php

Thats great! First one of those I have seen. The guy that does some plumbing/electric type work for us has one too. His dad used to run an old hardware store here years ago. He said they installed a number of those furnaces in this area years ago. My mail carrier has one also. I have never been able to find any paper work/manual, for them. No sign of them on the web, so they must have closed up long ago. Penn Manufacturing Co. I think made them. in Pa. I think my grandmother had them install this furnace when the old coal/wood furnace needed replacing years ago. She rented out the place at the time.

Gregg,

Here is my new PSG Caddy; installed in August along with the Lennox Elite; went from an LP Intertherm in a 1800 sq. ft home last winter and spent $2300 on propane :msp_angry: My installer opted for downdraft mounted this way to use the variable speed blower on low setting for the Caddy; works awesome and I couldn't be happier with this unit and love the glass; my stool sits directly in front of the stove so I can crack a beer and enjoy the show. I did add a barometric damper after running it for a while; I live on a hilltop in an open field and the 18' Durovent was drawing pretty hard! The BP seems to be helping with burn times.

Last edited:
I guess since everyone else is posting, I'll show mine. It's a USStove 1950 hotblast (Caddy) heating a 2400 sqft Victorian. Our basement is a dungeon, so it's not as pretty as others. Also don't mind the lighting, it's taken with a crappy cell phone.

View attachment 266815

Man, a lot of you guys have some high tech gear there!

Ha! My rig is one step above an open fire in the middle of the floor and knock a hole in the roof!

I guess since everyone else is posting, I'll show mine. It's a USStove 1950 hotblast (Caddy) heating a 2400 sqft Victorian. Our basement is a dungeon, so it's not as pretty as others. Also don't mind the lighting, it's taken with a crappy cell phone.

View attachment 266815

:ices_rofl: You think yours is in a dungeon. There are a few in my family that are leery to go down in ours even with a tornado warning! Might be a spider down there! LOL

100_0110-1.jpg

Gregg,

Here is my new PSG Caddy; installed in August along with the Lennox Elite; went from an LP Intertherm in a 1800 sq. ft home last winter and spent $2300 on propane :msp_angry: My installer opted for downdraft mounted this way to use the variable speed blower on low setting for the Caddy; works awesome and I couldn't be happier with this unit and love the glass; my stool sits directly in front of the stove so I can crack a beer and enjoy the show. I did add a barometric damper after running it for a while; I live on a hilltop in an open field and the 18' Durovent was drawing pretty hard! The BP seems to be helping with burn times.

Is that plastic or pvc On the supply side of the wood furnace. Isn't that a huge no no. Like when losing power.

Back