Silky on leg.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrRecurve

MrRecurve

ArboristSite Member
I will be picking up a new silky shortly and I was wondering if anyone climbs with their silky on their leg and how that compares to having it on your harness? I will be getting a Sugoi, so the sheath is aready designed with leg straps. It looks a bit bulky to hang from my waist.

Thanks in advance.

Blinky

Blinky

ArboristSite Operative
I've strapped my Sugoi onto my ankle before but never climbed with it like that. I hang it from the right side of my saddle. It gets in the way sometimes but usually not as long as I think ahead and flip it over limbs as needed.

I'll probably try the leg straps in a tree sometime pretty soon.

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
silky sugi

i keep sugi on my b2 waist belt (R) 1 problem i have is good attachment. i used factory pleather strap i cut and spliced/stitched it has stayed together much better than the plastic pinch snap they gave me. little bit of pressure and there she goes. i hope silky will upgrade this problem it could be a hazard or even fatal 2 a groundie:taped: nylon not pleather and a secure snap would be great i think leg strap is always in the way

Climb020

Climb020

ArboristSite Operative
I use to have a coronna on my buckingham leg scabbard but have switched to a silky saw. Haven't really any problems with it, definitly not as many as I did with it on my saddle. When it is on your leg it cannot flail about while trying to put the saw back. The rope will snap it every now and then but that is pretty easy to deal with. One thing though, make sure your saw doesn't have a curved handle. Some of the silfy and the corona did so the rope would crap the saw and flick it out of the tree. I have caught it many times almost falling out, but once I switched to the Zubat, no probs.

Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
I fabricated a set off elastic straps to hold the Zubat sheath onto my leg. The top strap is snug, just above my knee. The other one is a bit looser just below my knee. This lets the saw articulate with my knee.

The top of the handle is right in the palm of my hand when I hang my arm down at my side.

PTS

ArboristSite Guru
I climb with my Silky on my calf. Wouldn't have it any other way. It is like a holstered gun right there when you need it. Also when you are climbing through crotches that are tight it doesn't get hung up like it would if it was hangin on your belt.

treebogan

treebogan

ArboristSite Operative
On my leg

Me too!I made a wire clip that I duct taped to my Natana sheath,I push the saw down the velcro pad on my spurs on my right leg.I mostly do removals and find that the saw stays out of the way there and not cluttered up amongst slings and other rigging gear on my harness.I do attach it to my harness for pruning though.

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use a Zubat and keep it on the outside of my right calf. On occasion I have to climb with a saw hanging from my harness....BLECH!!! When it's on my calf, I ALWAYS know where it is. When it's hanging, sometimes it's not reachable or findable in some predicaments I find myself in the tree.

I highly recommend it.

love
nick

kiwi inpomyland

kiwi inpomyland

ArboristSite Lurker
hey guys im new to the forum,have been visiting for awhile tho.about the silky on the leg business,there is a bit of kit here in uk that an an pommy climber brought out i use it daily will dig out the name fits any hand saw made of wetsuit material,fits over spikes,elasticated straps,i also use it while chipping how many times has a limb not been cut enough and rollers wont snap it,no saw to hand,excelant bit of kit

Latest posts