Silly question: Throwline cube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm trying to think up something that I can use as a separator in my throwline cube. I want to store another throwline and weight in there. I was thinking about some newspaper or cardboard but I'm having visions of my lines covered in wet pieces and particles of newspaper or cardboard..

Anyone have a good idea of something to use to keep the lines separate?

You could try to sew a gusset in to divide the cube up, or have a soft bag that you could have like a bin liner coming over the sides for one line then close the back and leave it flat in the bottom and have the other line lying on top of it

I don't think a second cube is in order. I should be able to figure out some kind of separator. I like the bag idea and think I might have just the thing. A nylon flap would probably work well too if I can find something to make one out of. It seems like they used to sell some kind of separator for the cubes, I think I remember seeing one in one of the catalogs. Nothing in the newer issues though. I guess they weren't that big of a seller. I'm not looking to buy one anyway. Would just like to figure out how to make one out of something that won't degrade or fall to pieces if it gets wet.

Try using the side of a oil jug. I buy oil in 2.5gal jugs which have pretty big sides and you get lots of them when you change a bunch of oil. You could find one of them use a utility knife and cut the side out then water and even oil would not be a problem.
Jared

Plexyglass ?? I'd do cardboard if it was me. I don't climb in the rain so it wouldn't be an issue but have got caught in a thunderstorm :censored:. Pushed the envelope though but won't EVER do it again. Actually I'm going to add another throwline to my cube with cardboard as a matter of fact. Thanks for reminding me

how about a nylon stuff sack for a sleeping bag. put velcro on the inner qalls of the cube and the outer lip of the stuff sack to keep it up while loading. load line 1 pull drawstring on stuff sack seperate velcro drop to the bottom of cube load line 2 on top

how about a nylon stuff sack for a sleeping bag. put velcro on the inner qalls of the cube and the outer lip of the stuff sack to keep it up while loading. load line 1 pull drawstring on stuff sack seperate velcro drop to the bottom of cube load line 2 on top

That's pretty much what I've got in mind. I've got a nylon bag that came with something I bought that should work fine. Think I'll try it out as soon as I figure out what the deal is with my 260... GRRR!!!

Heres how I Roll.

I don't have a picture of my throw line set up, but this is how I roll.

I have 3 1/2 gallon bucket with one of those bucket buddy tool carriers. I have the bucket divided in half with sheet of cardboard and duct tape.

I have a longer and shorter line in the bucket. The tool pouches are great for holding different size throw bags, and anything else.

I have found the ridged sides keep the line from getting tangles. The throw bags are separate from the line so they are not getting all mixed out. It is also super easy to stow the line. I put the rig together for $11. Well worth the investment.

I also attach my line by tying a bowline tied with a 3" long loop. Then use the loop to girth hitch through the ring on the throw bag. Easy on, Easy off. Anything that makes throw line work smoother if worth checking out.

buck makes a bucket for multiple throw lines and storage not as packable as the german folder but excellent for more than one bag

I use separate containers for my throwlines. The reason I reach for my second line is because I managed to get #1 stuck, and usually a lot of the throwline is still in the container so I hate to pull it all out to get to the next one.

I really like the drywall mud buckets (small, maybe 1/2 gallon) and large plastic folgers coffee containers (not the small ones). These both have lids that keep the line and bags in place and are small enough to pack nicely.

I looked at the throw line bags but it seemed like a lot of money, foldable doesn't really help because then where do I put the throw line?

OK, here's what I came up with:

I had a bunch of old feed sacks around (deer corn) which are made of a very strong woven plastic material. I just cut out a square to fit in the cube over the first throwline. All I really wanted was something lightweight and foldable to put in there to separate the lines. I think an older burlap or hemp feed sack would work even better but they are hard to find these days. I had tons of these old feed sacks around so I just used one of the plastic ones. Made a great flap to keep my lines separate. Folds up great and won't degrade if it gets wet like cardboard would.

I think you lose the whole advantage of the size of the unfolded cube that is the perfect size to contain the flaking of the line without it going over the sides?

Plenty of room to stow two lines in there. Unfolded the lines might take up 4 inches of the bottom. It's a little thicker when folded up but still small enough to buckle it up with the velcro strap and fit under the truck seat. Haven't shot a line with it yet but it should work fine.

Plenty of room to stow two lines in there. Unfolded the lines might take up 4 inches of the bottom. It's a little thicker when folded up but still small enough to buckle it up with the velcro strap and fit under the truck seat. Haven't shot a line with it yet but it should work fine.

plenty of room to stow 2 but I think you need the whole space to flake into. Also helps to have it so spread on the floor of the cube to not rats nest IMO.

plenty of room to stow 2 but I think you need the whole space to flake into. Also helps to have it so spread on the floor of the cube to not rats nest IMO.

TV, I've got the lines stowed on top of each other, not side by side. Basically what I made is a false bottom to keep them separated. I still have the same area on the bottom to flake my line into.

I've seen the dividers like you have in mind before. I never liked the idea of that because, as you have mentioned, it would ruin the functionality of the cube. I will sometimes use two lines in the tree when I'm trying to isolate a limb. In the past I have just been using the tail end of the same throwline but that is not always the best solution and can often turn into a quagmire. That is the whole reason I bought a second line. When I need to I can shoot one line in the tree, pull out the remainder of the line on the flap/false bottom that I made and access my secondary shotline. When I am finished I can flake line number one into the bottom then put my little separator/flap in there and flake line number two into the cube. I have two pockets in mine to hold two throwbags.

In theory it should work great. I'll let you know how it works in practice when I try it out. :D

Last edited:
good ...maybe a pict or two? I am running 2 cubes and 4 extension cord reels with throwline right now. No time for down time this year esp with the wraptor.

Latest posts

Back