Silvey RSII Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srcarr52

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
Reaction score
Nathans Silvey was in need of some attention so he dropped it in my garage to get a little work.

I had to cut a couple of new adjustment studs since the others are bent and no longer give a linear adjustment. Also it was missing an adjustment knob so I found some others that are similar.

It needed new chain holders so to my machine shop I go. Cutting these out of steel on the CNC mill. Have fun wearing these out Nathan.

This grinder already had my bearing slide kit on it so I checked it's setup and installed the guards.

I like to put studs in the chain holders for handles so you can switch the chain holder groove quickly and without tools.

It had set a long time. I think it sat unused for 6-7 months. I don't know how long it wasn't used before I got it.

It had set a long time. I think it sat unused for 6-7 months. I don't know how long it wasn't used before I got it.

I think someone had been mucking with it before you. The chain holders where not stock, someone had put different bolts in the dresser arms which made them wobbly, and there wasn't a hose piece that kept tension on any of the stop bolts and the chain stop arms where on the wrong sides. We tried to use it at the GTG but with all that was wrong it was nearly impossible to use, so I just told Nathan to drop it off at my place and I'd get it straightened out.

I first tried to cut the groove in those chain holders with a slitting saw on the mill, but HSS saw didn't hold up long and only got about 1/8" deep before it rounded all it's teeth. So I went to plan B and ground them in with the bar groove grinder. They Should be the last set I have to make for this grinder.

I wasn't doing much sawing and a lot of shooting so both grinders got left in the corner of the garage. No my reloading set up is buried and I miss the grinders when filing a 48" loop.

Back