Silvey square grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was an old thread, but since its been revived, I'll jump on.

I'm a :newbie:

I happened across a Jonsered 2065 Turbo at a store closing its doors. I had NO IDEA what I was buying for ...$150, but I knew it must have been better than the 14" Craftsman Saw I had since I was 16 :laugh: That was back in 1999.

Now that I'll be running my Jonsered a bit more than I have in the past; I use to take down no more than 12 trees a year and now I'll be processing 50+ cords a year. :chainsawguy: I figured it might be time to learn a bit more about the saw. To start with: How do you sharpen a chain? Should I learn with a file first and then move to one of those under $100 sharpeners or just go right to an electric sharpener?

How hard is it to learn?

Also, whats the best way to clean the saw. Degreaser?

Silvey grinders

OK, looks like I will have to buy a new one as I can't find a used machine. Silvey makes two models that they refer to as entry level. One is the Razur Sharp II and the other is the Swing Arm model. I have never used a round let alone square chain grinder. My questions: which model would be better for someone who won't be grinding chains professionally? Also, is one easier to use than the other? Any advantages of one over the other?

Also, given that I may not be able to sharpen this square stuff by hand given the level of difficulty, I wonder if square ground chain stays sharp as well or better than round chisel chain if you keep it out of the dirt and rocks? I cut mostly pine, oak and gum here in NC. If it does not, I had better stick with round so that I can sharpen it in the field rather than having to replace the chain with a freshly sharpened one.

I have been told that Silvey went out of buisness.

Was an old thread, but since its been revived, I'll jump on.

I'm a :newbie:

I happened across a Jonsered 2065 Turbo at a store closing its doors. I had NO IDEA what I was buying for ...$150, but I knew it must have been better than the 14" Craftsman Saw I had since I was 16 :laugh: That was back in 1999.

Now that I'll be running my Jonsered a bit more than I have in the past; I use to take down no more than 12 trees a year and now I'll be processing 50+ cords a year. :chainsawguy: I figured it might be time to learn a bit more about the saw. To start with: How do you sharpen a chain? Should I learn with a file first and then move to one of those under $100 sharpeners or just go right to an electric sharpener?

How hard is it to learn?

Also, whats the best way to clean the saw. Degreaser?

Learn with a file first.

I clean them with compressed air and sometimes a tooth brush.

Back