Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Therein lies the difference, some of the people on here who only use saws as toys don't understand that those of us who make a living with them take performance + fuel economy very seriously. A screaming powerhouse of a saw isn't much good to me if I have to refuel every 20min.

Therein lies the difference, some of the people on here who only use saws as toys don't understand that those of us who make a living with them take performance + fuel economy very seriously. A screaming powerhouse of a saw isn't much good to me if I have to refuel every 20min.

Even if production matches the increase in consumption?

You must be on wages, not paid by weight!

Last edited:
Even if production matches the increase in consumption?

You must be on wages, not paid by weight!

Yeah that would be nice but far from true, I guess I'm just not man enough to keep up with a gas sucking pig no matter how good it works !!! Guess were not all superman loggers,some of us are mere mortals !!

Yeah that would be nice but far from true, I guess I'm just not man enough to keep up with a gas sucking pig no matter how good it works !!! Guess were not all superman loggers,some of us are mere mortals !!

Gas sucking Pig? You need to try a different porter!

Superman Loggers? All we have been reading is the amount of loggers/logging companies using modified saws. You see some of these loggers built quite finely albeit fit.

I like a properly modified saw,my point was a saw that is so modified that the only consideration is performance with no consideration for the balance between performance & fuel consumption. A point simonizer has been making all along,he gets it .
I like to think I'm in pretty good shape for an old guy,then again it's easy to look in shape compared to most of our operators/truck drivers,they all seem to have a low center of gravity lol.

Gear-down big rig. You can't compare top-fuel to pro-stock in drag racing. My saws are meant to generate revenue for their owners, not cut cookies.

I like a properly modified saw,my point was a saw that is so modified that the only consideration is performance with no consideration for the balance between performance & fuel consumption. A point simonizer has been making all along,he gets it .
I like to think I'm in pretty good shape for an old guy,then again it's easy to look in shape compared to most of our operators/truck drivers,they all seem to have a low center of gravity lol.

He gets it, as others do!

Talented cookie cutter builders are known to build efficient work saws. They know the mechanics regardless of the level of porting.

Talented cookie cutter builders are known to build efficient work saws. They know the mechanics regardless of the level of porting.

From where I stand I see it as a simple concept. Instead of going wild you just go mild then you have a work saw.

No matter what, when you mod it, it'll consume more fuel, at least that's what I've found. How do you build a saw with good fuel mileage in mind? Just keep the intake duration to a min?

If someone cares so much about fuelage then they shouldn't mod there saw at all imho. You will never get better fuel consumption on it short of a tune pipe or strato other than that every cut and grind is downhill gas uphill power. I think what we have here is a case of the "I want to drive a 600hp car...but I want the mileage that a hybrid car has" syndrome

I understand why it would be a problem with timber cutters and pro users that use them for their livelihood. I personally don't care, the fuel can is never very far away for me. I'd really like to get my hands on a 372xt and see what they are all about.

It always amazes me when people seem to assert that being talented at one precludes being able to do the other.

I'd let Smokey Yunick work on my truck.

Hey Simonizer, I heard through the grapevine you ride motorcycles about like you build worksaws.......Hahahahahahahahaha!

motorcycle_hits_tires.jpg

Must be the man himself Dennis Buffoon.

Yup.

Have you got more of those funny quips for Simon Bertrand, Marcel Vincent, and McBender Bob?

Ha, those names have never ever been in the same sentence, lol.

Smokey was the master of small-block Chevys. Very clever man.

The latter allows me to overlook his poor taste in engines.

Yes, a talented man that thought outside the box and if I remember correctly, was at times questioned with his engines torn down to prove that he was not cheating.

There were a number of instances where they made up rules on the spot because of one of his innovations.

The best story I heard about him was that he almost got away with bringing a 7/8 scale car to inspection. That's one way to save on weight!

Hey Simonizer, I heard through the grapevine you ride motorcycles about like you build worksaws.......Hahahahahahahahaha!

motorcycle_hits_tires.jpg
Thank you Dennis. That is quite a compliment. Although Westwood was my favorite track, Laguna Seca was where I got to ride with Wayne Rainey and Donny Greene back in 1985. Guest instructors at the California Superbike school. Keith Code was an awesome instructor. In a 12 lap sprint, Rainey lapped the field. Guess that's the difference between a future 500cc World Champion and mere mortals like us. Very polite and nice guy. Too bad about his terrible crash. He was the last of the ultra-talented American riders.

Latest posts

Back