Simple question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeha

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Stihl 032, Do they have points or electronic ignition.
I think electronic but thought i would ask before i take it apart.
Are there any issues with these saws.

Thanks Lee

It could be either. If your top cover is still legible, if it just says 032 AV, then it has points. If it says 032 AVE or electronic in smaller letters underneath, then it has electronic ignition.

I just picked up an 031 with points that is very similar, just with a bit smaller bore. These saws seem to be very well built and durable, although a bit heavier than a newer saw of similar displacement. There are tons of them around, and they can take a serious a$$ whupping and they still keep going. They turn relatively low RPM's compared to the new saws, probably contributing to their longevity, and have lots of torque.

The only issue I can really see is the air filter looks like it's in kind of a bad spot in my opinion, so make sure to clean it frequently when you run it. I think they are cool old saws.

Simple answer. Both. :)

I have a 032 AV and it is points.
I believe the electronic ignition version is tagged 032 AV Electronic.

No issues that I know of. Has been a great saw for me and others seem to have only good things to say about it.

If you need a workshop manual, just say the word.

Edit: Looks like someone else is quicker at the keyboard. hahaha

Last edited:
Ok now i have the info on point gap.
There must be a tool you need to set them.
Something to replace the flywheel with a
cam on it. Any idea where i can get this tool.
Would a stihl dealer be the only place.
Thanks Lee

You can remove the plastic "plugs" on the flywheel, bring the piston to TDC and set the point gap through the windows in the flywheel with a feeler gauge.

Well i investigated both my 032's and there are
no holes in the flywheels. So stihl must have a tool
that goe's on the crank with a cam to set the points.
Has anyone heard of one or have one i can buy.

Thanks Lee

On mine there are two plastic plugs that are held in with a flat head screw. There is another plactic piece underneath that ties it together and locks it in. There are some good pics in that service manual if you've downloaded it. If there are none of these in your flywheel, I would believe it to be a newer model and probably electronic ignition and no points to bother with.

If it does have points but just a different flywheel style than my saw with no openings, there should be a cam behind the flywheel anyway once you pull the flywheel off. You should be able to roll the engine to TDC and set the points with a feeler gauge. I don't think there is any special tool you will need, nor did I see any in the manual (other than a puller for the flywheel). Keep posting on your progress, and good luck!
Andy

Well i have this saw i pieces and the flywheel
has no holes and it is a point type ignition.
The cam to operate the points is part of the
flywheel and doesn't come off. So my guess is
it's another why of Stihl saying you have to take
it to a dealer for service.
They must have some kind of tool with a cam on it that slides on the crank to set the point gap. Or do it by timing.
Like say they open at .080 before top dead center. And keep adjusting till you get it right.
I'm having a hard time trying to down load the manual.
I'm not that good with computors. I will try to get some help today.

Thanks for all your help.
Lee

I fixed it guys. A buddy had a 032 parts saw
so i took the flywheel and pressed the center
out and now i have the tool. Points are set.

Thanks for your help Lee

032 points setting

I did the same thing. I pressed the center section (lobe part) out from the rest of the flywheel in order to set my points. I loosened the mounting screws a little and installed my new tool. I can't get the darn points to open to the suggested specs (.032 - .40). I am afraid my tool is worn or the darn crankshaft. Am I wrong? What should I do now? Thank you and have a blessed day.:)

Thanks. I will give it a shot again. I had bad information on the points gap setting. Have a blessed day.

:)

Latest posts

Back