Simple testing to save time and money on repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV Hiker

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A neighbor wanted me to look at a acquired Stihl 044 chainsaw. A previous person tried to fix it by buying 2 China carbs to no avail. Told it would only run on fuel dumped into the bore.

Experience would tell you that there is a good air leak. To confirm a quick vacuum and pressure test to locate the leak. Yup there is a leak but it is a really good one but where? Hooking up the shop air compressor to 10 PSI would give a steady flow to be able to water tank dunk. Sure enough a wide section of the case bottom where the gasket is missing air is pouring out. Any guess why the case gasket blows out?

No matter how many carb kits or new carbs installed they would not work due to there is no vacuum to pull on the carb diaphragm to deliver fuel. Some quick simple testing would have cut to the chase and save time and money. I know the of the original worker and know he had the tools to figure it out but since shut down and moved on.

Looking at the saw it has a aftermarket 52mm big bore. Compression is 114psi and light scaring on the intake side due to running lean but little cleaning and new rings should bring back up the compression? Waiting to see what the neighbor wants to spend on the saw to make it a runner. Rings, seals, case gasket. Luckily I have the Walbro and 2 china carbs with it.

What is the value of the 044 with a 52mm big bore kit? Worth fixing? He is a homeowner and rarely cuts wood.
20210130_124750_resized.jpg

Lots of unanswered questions...
My internet guess is,someone has had the saw apart.They did not know what they were doing plus installed a aftermarket top end.
The saw needs to be taken apart,everything inspected for AM parts.
Find a stock cylinder,replace all AM parts with OEM
Then the saw will be worth something.
Now with the AM cylinder it's just a parts saw

I put a mini regulator on a 24" piece of hose with 2 fittings.
No need to screw with compressor. Just adjust line pressure
at the jumper hose.
Very helpful for MS200T's and 201's that get dropped.
Sometimes manifold gets torn.
An Mtronic will compensate small leaks on a 201.
You'll never know it's torn.

As for the leak, gskts shrink.
The scoring on the intake is not from lean running.
Usually water ingestion and/or constant supply of sawdust.
Which might have worn big end.
That saw might be all used up?

Thanks @Yukon Stihl and @stihl86
The saw was whole only the carb was messed with. Rumor was with a service and in dirty condition was run for many seasons.

Don't know if the cylinder/piston worn out, I'll pop the cylinder off and have a look. It will need to sit for 2 weeks until I can put my hands on it again.

Looking at the air cleaner, aftermarket, dirty, packed. Could been ingestion as piston looks more pitted than scaring.

Neighbor most likely throw minimum at it as a occasional use saw.

Latest posts

Back