Single Axle vs Tandem Axle Dump Trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrHerrman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a single axle dump trailer that is rated at 5000 pounds. It will dump 5000 and will handle the weight well, but when I stack it full of "green" red oak and am up around 7000-8000 pounds it will not dump and mashes my truck down. I pull the trailer with a 2008 Chevy 1500, because I got a great deal on the truck and I did not want the 6.0 gas hog and could not afford a diesel. I plan to put air bags on the rear of my truck next year as to not void the warranty, however I wonder how much less a tandem axle trailer would mash down my truck because of the added axle.

For those of you who have tandem axle dump trailers, what has been your expeience? I don't neccesarily want to tow a whole lot more weight than 7000-8000 pounds, but even now with 5000 in the trailer my truck is pretty mashed down. Do you think it would be better to have a tandem axle trailer or just do the air bags?

Why are you putting that much weight in that trailer? If your puttin that much in there, then U deffenatly need a bigger trailer. Try putting the proper amount in it and you wont damage your truck or get in a accident and hurt yourself or someone else. The problem with a bigger trailer is your rear axle on the 1500 will be way overloaded causing another unsafe condition.

Last edited:
I think your 5k trailer is rated for about 4000 lbs and the gross weight is 5K. A 7K trailer does not have much more capacity due to the weight of the trailer, Those are usually 6 x 12 where the single axle is a 5x8. The dual axles do tow better and do not put as much weight on the truck, but you only get a little bigger legal payload. If you overload it the payload is a good bit more.

I like tandem axles trailers. If a tire pops with that much weight things can get harry. Here is the problem your going to run into. A good tandem axles dump trailer is going to weight at least 3k empty. That is for a lightweight trailer. My 14k 14x7 tandem weighs almost 5k empty. You say you don't want to haul more weight then you are now but odds are you will. People don't buy bigger trailer not to fill them up. That is the biggest downfall with a dump trailer. People including myself always overload them. The weight really adds up. If your going to say with your truck and you want a bigger one get a 10ft with 5200# axles. That will save on the weight of the trailer and give you a heavier axle to handle more weight then 3500# axles. Don't go to big or you won;t have much carrying capacity.

Scott

You left out a lot of information:
I assume your single axle is rated GVW of 5K. Mybowtie and engineeredlawns are both correct, you are slightly overloaded if you put 5K of load in the trailer and grossly overloaded by 8K.

What is the tongue weight at 5K when your truck is "mashed down"? We all go over the manufacturers limits, but GM should at least have something of a clue regarding tongue weight. (I occasionally, in town only, pull a 2K trailer with my Ford Focus, rated at 1K!, :hmm3grin2orange:)

A tandem with a 7K GVW rating gains you 2K of GVW and depending on the brand, may only weigh 800 to 1000 pounds more. If you step up to a tandem, is a fith wheel a possibility for you?

In addition to the tire blowout factor, a tandem axle typically has brakes on only one axle. It took me a while to figure out why, but my theory is that in rain/snow, if the brake axle locks up, the non brake tires keep traction and can help prevent a jack knife. That's my story and I'm stickin t-t-t-too it.

In addition to the tire blowout factor, a tandem axle typically has brakes on only one axle. It took me a while to figure out why, but my theory is that in rain/snow, if the brake axle locks up, the non brake tires keep traction and can help prevent a jack knife. That's my story and I'm stickin t-t-t-too it.

It's a state by state thing. Here in PA all axles need to have brakes...dual axles trailers have brakes on both axles.

Okay you are over loading your trailer. I have a tandem with 14,000lb capacity that means the empty trailer at 4500lb and 9500lb payload. That being said your 5000lb trailer has about 3000lb payload capacity depending on the empty weight of your trailer. I am not saying that your trailer cant handle it but your are pushing the limits of both trailer and truck.

I don't know if you have any Big Tex trailer dealers in your area, but they have two 7000 lb. rated tandem axle dump trailers. The 70LP has a scissor lift hoist, 60" x 10' box and is 2000 lbs. empty. The 70SR has a single ram hoist, 72" x 10' box and weighs 2000 lbs. empty. With both trailers your payload would be 5000 lbs. Just though you might be interested. If I had the funds, I'd buy the 70LP to put behind my half ton.

Kevin

In addition to what the others said, maybe put some of the wood in the back of the truck instead of on the trailer. I've not seen a reciever set up for a half ton that was rated at over 6,000 lbs. So basically you've maxed out the half ton with your current trailer. You could always look at what it would take to rebuild your trailer and add a second axil too it.

Back