Size of spitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semi-Hex

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how to get the right sized splitter for the camp I volunteer at. I can give some specifics on what I want to split for starters:

Almost all soft wood, Douglas fir, and several pines. There are oaks and madrone but the softwoods would be the focal point.
The wood will be burned at campfires so no worries about width or length.
The rounds I cut are anywhere from 12 to 40"
I cut between 80 and 100 cords of wood from fallen/hazard trees.
I would like to be able to transport it from site to site.
I would be the only one using it, so it may sit for up to a month at a time.

If you need more specific, just ask. I know I could probably buy one for the cost of a couple of rentals and transport.

Thank you in advance.

Check your local craigslist for used splitters. Any splitter with a 4 inch cylinder will get the job done. A horizontal/vertical would be nice for the big heavy rounds.
Also you could advertize in the locals want ads or paper. You should be able to get something nice for a great price.

Good luck..:)

Check your local craigslist for used splitters. Any splitter with a 4 inch cylinder will get the job done. A horizontal/vertical would be nice for the big heavy rounds.
Also you could advertize in the locals want ads or paper. You should be able to get something nice for a great price.

Good luck..:)

I read the posts here first, then was wondering about why there are so many sizes. The one thing I didn't want was to get something that couldn't do the job.
Craigslist was a little light on detail right now.
Vertical sounds like the way to go, since I don't want to have to pick up some of this stuff.

Keep looking around. I got mine basicly for free but had to replace the motor. So now I have perfectly good splitter for $225, Just from asking/looking around and holding out on buying a new one. I changed the Hyd fluid and the high pressure hose and it works perfect....

80 to 100 cords is a lot of wood (MHO) I would think you need to think fast cycle times with that much wood. That Super Split seems to be the machine for that amount of wood.

besides much higher costs... a supersplitter is quite possibly the worst choice to turn loose volunteers on....

80 to 100 cords is a lot of wood (MHO) I would think you need to think fast cycle times with that much wood. That Super Split seems to be the machine for that amount of wood.

Last edited:
Splitters are out there to be had, and not very expensive. I picked two home made splitters up a couple years ago for less than the price of the steel to build them. After a few changes and mods I sold them 3X for what I paid for them.

Try local farm and equiptment auctions, we have them here every month and there are at least 6 ot 7 splitters on the auction block. Last year there was even a top of the line timberwolf with a log lift for auction.

i have a 16 ton with a 5 hp honda. it has a fast cycle time 2 forward speeds, the auto return valve. let me tell you the auto return valve is a absolute must if your solo. it saves so much time you can get the next log while its resetting. i split 95% oak and i tell you theres only been a few pieces it couldnt split ive had it 2 years so far, MIke

I would like to know how to get the right sized splitter for the camp I volunteer at. I can give some specifics on what I want to split for starters:

Almost all soft wood, Douglas fir, and several pines. There are oaks and madrone but the softwoods would be the focal point.
The wood will be burned at campfires so no worries about width or length.
The rounds I cut are anywhere from 12 to 40"
I cut between 80 and 100 cords of wood from fallen/hazard trees.
I would like to be able to transport it from site to site.
I would be the only one using it, so it may sit for up to a month at a time.

If you need more specific, just ask. I know I could probably buy one for the cost of a couple of rentals and transport.

Thank you in advance.
Wow, you have been cutting 80 to 100 cords and just now thinking about a power splitter? I am not trying to be sarcastic in any way, you just got to be a good bit tougher than I am. I wouldnt even consider that amount of wood without a good splitter. I used to split mine by hand when I was younger, but at the ripe old age of 42 I wouldnt even consider it.

If you are doing that much wood I would think that you would need a four way or even a six way. Off the top of my head timberwolf and American come to mind. At the minimum you should have a fast cycle time.

Keep looking around. I got mine basicly for free but had to replace the motor. So now I have perfectly good splitter for $225, Just from asking/looking around and holding out on buying a new one. I changed the Hyd fluid and the high pressure hose and it works perfect....

I've been looking around at craigslist, being California the prices are just higher. It also looks like, since I do mostly soft woods there isn't a problem in size.

Splitters are out there to be had, and not very expensive. I picked two home made splitters up a couple years ago for less than the price of the steel to build them. After a few changes and mods I sold them 3X for what I paid for them.

Try local farm and equiptment auctions, we have them here every month and there are at least 6 ot 7 splitters on the auction block. Last year there was even a top of the line timberwolf with a log lift for auction.

We have an auction place here. I'll look. Thank you.

Wow, you have been cutting 80 to 100 cords and just now thinking about a power splitter? I am not trying to be sarcastic in any way, you just got to be a good bit tougher than I am. I wouldnt even consider that amount of wood without a good splitter. I used to split mine by hand when I was younger, but at the ripe old age of 42 I wouldnt even consider it.

I seldom split it outside for my own use. Most of it gets taken by the campers and they split it. I'm a bit older but I haven't had any problems yet, mainly I just like to be outdoors, though it gets to a point that they take the smaller stuff and leave the bigger rounds.

This is the kind of answer in need. Because of the camp, only I and one or two others will be using it.

i have a 16 ton with a 5 hp honda. it has a fast cycle time 2 forward speeds, the auto return valve. let me tell you the auto return valve is a absolute must if your solo. it saves so much time you can get the next log while its resetting. i split 95% oak and i tell you theres only been a few pieces it couldnt split ive had it 2 years so far, MIke

The one I currently rent has a manual reverse, so I stand there and wait. I didn't know they were out there.

If you are doing that much wood I would think that you would need a four way or even a six way. Off the top of my head timberwolf and American come to mind. At the minimum you should have a fast cycle time.

I'll look at this 4 way thing. I have some rounds that are 40+ inches across though, so I'll see.

Thank you all for the help!

With 40+" rounds, you will either need vertical abililty or you will need to rip the rounds to a manageable size first. We use a 394XP or a 460 to rip the rounds and then split on a horizontal so we don't have to bend over or kneel so much.

With 40+" rounds, you will either need vertical abililty or you will need to rip the rounds to a manageable size first. We use a 394XP or a 460 to rip the rounds and then split on a horizontal so we don't have to bend over or kneel so much.

I've learned more about splitters than I can believe. The garden centre, where I would be having this serviced said to give him the model number so he can make sure that the parts are available.

I can't even pick up the rounds, so I do need a vertical splitter.

Thank you for the input.

I can't even pick up the rounds, so I do need a vertical splitter.
Thank you for the input.

OR.. .a good chainsaw! We haven't used ours in vertical mode in over 2 years. We are building a splitter now that won't go vertical. Our preferance is to use the 394XP and rip the rounds to a manageable size. It's faster and MUCH less painful than working on your knees all day to split big rounds.

Latest posts

Back