Skid steer splitter/loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have seen one of these at an equipment show/swap meet and my one buddy really wants to get one. Any of you guys have experience with one of these? I know they need a skid steer with a pretty beefy pump to operate well but they can run a 4 way wedge. I could see the big advantage of one is not so much in its speed but the fact that it does all the heavy work for you and you just sit there pulling levers until you're bored, instead of handling the wood by hand until you get tired.

Where you posting a picture of a skidd steer splitter ?

Or a web page ?

I don't get it ?

David:monkey:

Last edited:
If it looks like the ones I have seen, kinda an inverted splitter, my thought is that there is a lot of dirt introduced into the process.The rounds are bark-down,skidded through the dirt,split and dropped.Maybe not a big deal, but it was my first thought when I saw a video of one working.

I have seen one of these at an equipment show/swap meet and my one buddy really wants to get one. Any of you guys have experience with one of these? I know they need a skid steer with a pretty beefy pump to operate well but they can run a 4 way wedge. I could see the big advantage of one is not so much in its speed but the fact that it does all the heavy work for you and you just sit there pulling levers until you're bored, instead of handling the wood by hand until you get tired.

I'm not sure why the pump would have to be beefy, most log splitters have a pump the size of a grapefruit and are run by a small engine. Even a small bobcat has strong hydraulics. Still, I just cant see any cost benefit in using a several thousand dollar machine to split wood when a $1500 dollar splitter with operating costs of almost zero will do the same job. And if problems would happen to occur, maintenance on a splitter can be done by just about anyone. When a bobcat breaks down, your talking real money for parts and labor.

umm...your pic says something like "trarle of filth"? What is that?

I don't get it. Or I can't decipher it. Or I'm blinded by religion.

Is this another of your jabs at Christian religion? I can't tell.

I for one truly admire and delve into dirt as much as I can...but filth? Not so much.

umm...your pic says something like "trarle of filth"? What is that?

I don't get it. Or I can't decipher it. Or I'm blinded by religion.

Is this another of your jabs at Christian religion? I can't tell.

I for one truly admire and delve into dirt as much as I can...but filth? Not so much.
I think it's "cradle of filth" but I also have no idea of what it means.

AOD: I am going to build one for my mini, but I know it's not justifiable! Even at idle the 25HP motor burns more fuel than an 11HP at full throttle and doesn't produce as much power!
Sure I can pick with the mini, but it's also now tied to that operation. Where as I could have a splitter and have the mini loading a trailer as I split etc.
Bobcats have a STUPID amount of power, but they use a LOT of fuel to create that power.
You have a lot of large logs to chunk up? Maybe, but I have found it's faster to hit them with the saw than wrastle with them on the spliter and waste the fuel.
Just some food for thought.

Something like this.

http://www.qualityweldingservice.com/logsplitter.html

The idea is before your final split to size you can raise it up over your truck bed and split right into the truck. It looks like it has a 6" cyl and would need a big pump for a reasonable cycle time.

My buddy really wants one but he doesn't know how to use the internet, so I am finding more info for him.

I actually enjoy complex music and rhythms, including your link to "the death of love". I like the beat and music...
But I also enjoy lyrics. So your banner song with indistinguishable words could be talking about butterflies in meadows with puppies romping about.... or defiling just-killed human remains...take your pick.

What was your topic about again????

Oh, sorry, other members got past the last part of your initial post and focused on some tractor-implement.... I'm all for that.

I actually enjoy complex music and rhythms, including your link to "the death of love". I like the beat and music...
But I also enjoy lyrics. So your banner song with indistinguishable words could be talking about butterflies in meadows with puppies romping about.... or defiling just-killed human remains...take your pick.

What was your topic about again????

Oh, sorry, other members got past the last part of your initial post and focused on some tractor-implement.... I'm all for that.

I am glad I can open you to new things and experiences. I saw Cradle of Filth live this past weekend, and they was great.

Oh yeah, this thread is supposed to be about a skid steer log splitter.

A buddy of mine build his own splitter for a skid steer. Way easyer to build one for a skid steer than a stand alone one. All you need is a beam, wedge and cylinder. You use the hydraulics from the skid steer. My buddy has a 6" cylinder on his and uses a 4 way wedge. It has to be one of the bigger splitters I have ever seen.

To use a skid steer with a splitter attached.. You will need a very large open area..It does not need to be smooth. Because once you start spinning around with a skid steer. It will soon look like 55 hogs have been rooting and wallowing around there. It will be slower than a conventional splitter IMHO. You will still have to handle a lot of wood..

inverted splitter

As far as the inverted splitter is concerned I made one about four years ago and love it, we split about 50plus cords a year with it and would never handle firewood onto a conventional splitter again, yes you have to handle the pieces after they are split but then they are smaller and easier to handle, we can keep two people busy throwing split pieces aside while one lines up the blocks and one splits them or if we are short on help we line them up and split them then take a log and pick it up with the splitter and shove the split pieces up onto a pile with the skid steer splitter with a log locked in the wedge and use it like a blade. We also pick up logs 10 plus feet long and hold it up in the air while two people chainsaw the log into blocks while standing up eliminating bending over and running the saws in the groundand then split the cut blocks and get the next log and shove the split blocks out of the way and hold the next log to be split. Once you get the hang of running it I'd never go back to lifting blocks onto a splitter. We do it in the winter when the ground is frozen and don't worry about dirt or tearing up the ground because its frozen. Once you master running it one person can split it as small as you like without ever getting out of the skidsteer and shove them aside it just speeds the process up if you have help lining up the blocks and throwing them aside. We cut all the logs in the summertime while doing landclearing jobs and haul it in and during the winter we cut them up and split them.

nice!

As far as the inverted splitter is concerned I made one about four years ago and love it, we split about 50plus cords a year with it and would never handle firewood onto a conventional splitter again, yes you have to handle the pieces after they are split but then they are smaller and easier to handle, we can keep two people busy throwing split pieces aside while one lines up the blocks and one splits them or if we are short on help we line them up and split them then take a log and pick it up with the splitter and shove the split pieces up onto a pile with the skid steer splitter with a log locked in the wedge and use it like a blade. We also pick up logs 10 plus feet long and hold it up in the air while two people chainsaw the log into blocks while standing up eliminating bending over and running the saws in the groundand then split the cut blocks and get the next log and shove the split blocks out of the way and hold the next log to be split. Once you get the hang of running it I'd never go back to lifting blocks onto a splitter. We do it in the winter when the ground is frozen and don't worry about dirt or tearing up the ground because its frozen. Once you master running it one person can split it as small as you like without ever getting out of the skidsteer and shove them aside it just speeds the process up if you have help lining up the blocks and throwing them aside. We cut all the logs in the summertime while doing landclearing jobs and haul it in and during the winter we cut them up and split them.

Sounds like a plan. Now some pics please! ;-)

P1220077.jpg

PB230079.jpg

They are very effient in cutting big rounds into managle pieces for a conventional splitter. If you got enough "big wood to justify the purchase, it is much better and faster then ripping big rounds with a chainsaw

inverted splitter

I'll get my kids working on the photo thing, right now my little skidsteer is tore apart waiting for a rebuilt starter and new glow plugs and my big one is 40 miles away at my shop. The splitter is real simple we just took a three point tractor mounted one and tipped it over and welded a skid steer face plate on it and some cylinder protection metal so the cylinder doesn't hit the ground and thats as tough as it was. Real crude and simple but it saves handling the large blocks by hand and lifting them is a thing of the past, we now are thinking of building a firewood processor and have plans drawn up but haven't started yet, we want to take more of the work out of firewood and replace it with heated cabs in the winter, we looked at skid steer processors and worked up a unit on paper and in the computer but to process the larger size material and have all the creature comforts I wanted it was too heavy and the wiring for all the electric control valves was a nightmare so we upsized the plan and are going with a larger stationary design with several features no other processor currently have. For the amount we actually do its not real cost effective to buy one but we build a lot of things and are looking for the next design challenge and over the next 30 years should get enough good out of it to make it worth my while.

They are very effient in cutting big rounds into managle pieces for a conventional splitter. If you got enough "big wood to justify the purchase, it is much better and faster then ripping big rounds with a chainsaw

That is about the only use for them. By buddy has a large new holland skid and has used them before, he said they suck unless dealing with large, I mean large rounds.

A tree company around here has one to bust up large chunks before going into the tub grinder....never use it for anything else...

As Eric said also, the skid steers make a huge mess.

Back