skidding firewood logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlandff5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been skidding my firewood logs with a old 1962 International Harvester Cub. She works good but is getting tired. I seem to spend more time fixing her than working. Thinking about getting a new 4-wheeler and a log arch from Baily's. Does anyone own one of these? How does it work? Would you buy one again?

Thanks...

An arch works good, but its nothing like a 3 point hitch on a tractor.
The 3 point hitch puts all the weight on the rear drive tires of the tractor, and make it pull like crazy. Atv isn;t very heavy in comparison, so the work they can do it limited by their weight.

BTW, I have a Sportsman 700 4x4 ATV, and it pulls like a mule, but its got nothing on my John Deere 2520 and its 3 point hitch!

Get a bigger tractor

Nothing against cubs, but there were designed to cullivate a garden and not much more.

Get yourself something like a super c or a farmall 350 if you wanna stay red. Otherwise, deere m's, 40's, and 2010, 2020 are good. Allis B or a d-15. Ford anything up to a 5610.

Basically, stay below 45hp. and stick to a wide front tractor of american manufacture.

Nothing against cubs, but there were designed to cullivate a garden and not much more.

Get yourself something like a super c or a farmall 350 if you wanna stay red. Otherwise, deere m's, 40's, and 2010, 2020 are good. Allis B or a d-15. Ford anything up to a 5610.

Basically, stay below 45hp. and stick to a wide front tractor of american manufacture.

:agree2: :agree2:

I would stick to a tractor. I know when we skidded some out late summer, there is no way I would try to drag them out with my Honda 450, much easier to use a tractor, this one is a New Holland at 100HP.

P1010003_480.jpg

P1010005_480.jpg

Last edited:
The problems with fourwheelers is lack of weight. I looked into it, and there are options, but they are pricey as well as the fourwheelers themselves are VERY pricey!! I looked a few months ago and still have sticker shock!!! Yeah, really!!!
The log arch, or anything that can either lift the front or cone the front so the log doesn't dig into the ground.

If you really want to go that route, I can link you to a site that has the equipment to make it easier, but I found what works best for me, and I think a tractor would work best for you.

I would stick to a tractor. I know when we skidded some out late summer, there is no way I would try to drag them out with my Honda 450, much easier to use a tractor, this one is a New Holland at 100HP.

P1010003_480.jpg

P1010005_480.jpg

I like those log tongs. We just picked up a set dirt cheap at a buddy's yard sale. They work great off a skidsteer bucket for picking big rounds onto the splitter. Very quick on and off.

I used to use a 4x4 tractor

It was only 30 horse, did a fair job. But I broke down and bought a 66 horse Massey Ferguson Dozer.. By golly that is how you skid logs and tops..
I generally hook the smaller stuff with a Cat choker to the front blade. That way I can squirm the dozer around to maneuver the tops around trees and to position it better for bucking.
For the bigger logs I hook to the back More pulling power and easier on the machine too.

45hp is plenty of power for dragging firewood out for the homeowner. As you get above 45 hp. you get into larger frame tractors that are harder to get around with in the woods.

Also, the trailer or pull capacities are more suited for the amount of work that your going to want to do in an afternoon.

For instance, a 150hp. Ih 1566 can pull a semi trailer sized load of wood, but thats alot of wood and who wants to manuver a semi thru the woods.

You should stay way from fourwheelers for skidding logs and such, they are not designed to be a farm tractor or a log skidder. Alot of times their gears are too high, and they are not built heavy enough.

All this comes from experience running a firewood business off my fathers 400 acre farm / woodlot in potter co. This might not work for everyone, but this is what works for me.

Ericjeeper, try to always pull loads from the rear of the crawler. When you pull loads from the front, the slack in the track chain builds underneath the crawler rather than on top, that can cause a track to slip off and is very hard on the undercarriage.

Last edited:
I don't know how much wood you're wanting to move, but smaller log skidders should be getting affordable with the timber market the way it is.
I bought a JD 440-b log skidder for less than a new 4 wheeler cost. I used to use an international farm tractor (that cost more than my skidder), and there is no comparison.

Andy

Check out my thread "woodcutting Mt. Falls style"...we used a IH 674, it's a wide front, 2wd. We drug tops/whole trees down off of a hill with it, did great. Next experiment will be with a JD 2955 4wd.

Arches are nice...but they ain't cheap. Lot's of peeps use them on Public land that have restrictions.

If you get a new tractor you'll be surprised what you can drag with a 3PH...that'll lift the front 3rd of the log off the ground...

...then you can go from there. Also CUTs are a lot more versatile than a skidder...unless of course that's your full time biz.

Latest posts

Back