Skidding logs !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was skidding a bunch of oak and ash logs sat. with my JD 2010 tractor. The logs were up to 20'' round and I cut them about 10-to 12 ft. long . I was using chains , I hear wire rope chokers work better , whats everyone using out there ??? The one thing I need to overcome is if I chain directly to the log it tends to really dig in and make it hard to skid but if I run the chain up over a bar in the three point hitch I get a higher angle and it lifts that bottom edge of the log off the ground and it doesn't dig in , any other ideas ??

I use chain, never tried cable, so I can't compare.

You are on the right track lifting the nose of the log with the 3pt. I have a drawbar on my 3pt with a clevis with a grab hook to make hooking the chain easier (Get one at any farm supply store).

I much prefer skidding on snow covered ground, pulls a lot easier and makes your saw chains happier, but that isn't always an option.

Hooking as short (close to the tractor) as possible also makes an easier pull than at the end of a long chain, and gives you better lift on the log.

Always pull from the butt end whenever possible, much less likely to hang up if you have left limbs attached.

My tractor isn't a whole lot bigger than yours, 65hp, and I have no problem pulling full length trees up to about 24" dia if I have a clear path to pull them on, sometimes have to take half at a time to clear corners, etc.

I have been pulling them out all winter with my John Deere 1020 by just hooking a chain with a standard choker on the log and looping the other end over my tractor drawbar on the lower links of the three point. I just raise the drawbar enough to lift the nose of the log up a bit so it clears the ground well and they come out fine. I keep the front of the hitch as low as practical for safety reason and I also have a FEL on the tractor to keep the front end down if I should snag up for some reason. I just received a new catalog from Northern Tool and Equipment Co., and on page 54 of the catalog they have a three point adapter that will give you a heavy duty bracket with a receiver hitch built into the bracket. Bracket fits right on the three point hitch and you can then put whatever you like in the receiver channel. I have seen somewhere an insert that will slide right into the receiver with a big iron ring on the end. That should work out great for looping a choker chain through and then you can raise the three point to get the nose of the log up off the ground. If you want to pull the wood trailer or something else all you have to do is remover the ring insert and put a standard ball insert in it's place. Looked like a pretty hand deal to me.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Maplemeister , I was looking at the northern book to see what your talking about , are you refering to # 12471-2806 for catogory 2 , that looks real handy as I can be skidding on one trip and pulling a trailer on the next .Probably wouldn't take much to make if you had the steel on hand .

It all depends on what I am hooking to and where it is at. I use a little Ford Ranger as my skidder so I need to be careful about what I hook. I normally just use chains. It it is down a hill or up on a hill, I have a 200 foot cable that I can run out. I always hook to a chain though. I don't like cable chokers and I won't use my cable to choke a tree. Chokers get a$$holes in them and they are a b1tch to get out without the proper tool.:bang:

I prefer cable to chains cause its lightweight and easy to latch onto logs 50'-100' or so away plus cable can be used with snatch blocks. I use one for the choker and the other to pull it up close.

Maplemeister , I was looking at the northern book to see what your talking about , are you refering to # 12471-2806 for catogory 2 , that looks real handy as I can be skidding on one trip and pulling a trailer on the next .Probably wouldn't take much to make if you had the steel on hand .

Chugbug:

Not sure where your getting that number. Maybe we are looking at two different catalogs. I just received a new one from Northern. It is labeled as the 2009 Spring/Summer Master Catalog. If you go to p.54, the very first item at the top left of the page is item# 12469-1906. This item is a Cat. 1 adapter that turns your three pt. hitch into a 2" receiver. They also have essentially the same item on the same page for cat. 2, and 3 tractors if that is what you have. That is labeled as item#124692-1906. If your handy with steel and a welder I'm sure you could make the same thing pretty easily. I'm not, so I will probably just buy the bracket and maybe add a couple more grab hooks so I can pull at least three logs at a time, then I can swap over to my wood trailer as I have a lot of blocked wood laying out in the woods now ready to be taken to the landing. Hope that helps.

Maple: :cheers:

chain chokers dont get barbs like wire rope and you can adjust the length between the log and the mainline. usually a skidder has a mainline, then sliders with keyhole shaped places to attach the chain choker. see picture: http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=86&idproduct=289

cable or wire rope chokers are nice because they are stiff enough to push under a log. they push right through snow and soft ground. if you use them on rocky ground they can be prone to getting barbs. they are also permanently attached to the machine so thieves cant scoff of with them. see picture: http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=83&idproduct=281

if youre going to make a habit out of pulling wood with your tractor i highly reccomend a skidding winch. home made, farmi, fransgaurd, they all have thier pros and cons. i run a farmi 351 and cant say enough good things about it.

There's alot ways of going I guess , here's the link I found for the three point hitch piece -- http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342832_200342832&issearch=1247

It would be real easy to make and there is a easier version I was thinking of . Just bolt a heavy piece of 1/2'' steel to the cross bar and bring an upright down from the center link to it and weld it , put a hole in the plate for a ball and put a clevis in one of the other holes on the bar for chains or chokers .

There's alot ways of going I guess , here's the link I found for the three point hitch piece -- http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342832_200342832&issearch=1247

It would be real easy to make and there is a easier version I was thinking of . Just bolt a heavy piece of 1/2'' steel to the cross bar and bring an upright down from the center link to it and weld it , put a hole in the plate for a ball and put a clevis in one of the other holes on the bar for chains or chokers .

Apparently you don't have the latest catalog. The item I referenced you to looks almost like what you found but it also has side bracing arms going from just under the top link out to the ends of the draw-bar so you end up with a large triangular bracket that ties in to both lower links and the top link, and also has the receiver hitch built into the bottom of the bracket. I just found the same design bracket at my local john Deere dealer today and it is very rugged. Looks like 1/4" steel anyway. The only thing I would need to add is the female end of the receiver and the hook or ring to secure the choker. Also, the price was $175.00, and no shipping charges so I will probably get this one.
Maplemeister: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back