Skidding winch for the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I still have a 13 hour drive home tomorrow. Until then, you guys will have to make do with a crude photo of it face down in the bed of the truck. If need be I can provide pics of the fishing lures, clothes, surplus, cheese, chocolate, and chainsaw that I also purchased.

SheaView attachment 490342
No need for pictures of the cheese, chocolate, and the saw. I will PM my address, just send them. The clothes may not fit me so just keep them. Perhaps send the lures as well as you will be too busy logging with that new winch to go fishing.
Looks Great
Safe drive home

No need for pictures of the cheese, chocolate, and the saw. I will PM my address, just send them. The clothes may not fit me so just keep them. Perhaps send the lures as well as you will be too busy logging with that new winch to go fishing.
Looks Great
Safe drive home
Just send the winch my way, that way you can make better use of the fishing lures:surprised3:.
Congrats on the winch, you will love it:).

Well, I still have a 13 hour drive home tomorrow. Until then, you guys will have to make do with a crude photo of it face down in the bed of the truck. If need be I can provide pics of the fishing lures, clothes, surplus, cheese, chocolate, and chainsaw that I also purchased.

SheaView attachment 490342
You got a good deal on that winch and will enjoy it. I have a norse 350 which is identical except for the name. Good Luck with it W Jones.

Not sure about yours, but when I bought our winch new I had to cut 4" off the pto shaft so that it didn't bind or bottom out. Just something to watch out for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about yours, but when I bought our winch new I had to cut 4" off the pto shaft so that it didn't bind or bottom out. Just something to watch out for.
Good morning wise:drinkingcoffee:
Agreed:).
This can surely be a problem if not inspected. When setting up any 3pt equipment part of the initial setup is making sure that it is set to the measurements for your specific tractor/implement. If you want to run them on another tractor you will have to check all the measurements and angles out again as most tractors have at least some differences, this is most noted from brand to brand and changing the size of tractor (cat 1 attachments to cat 2).

When I installed mine everything looked great, but when you raise it all the way up it was very close to hitting my fender so I "adjusted"(bent) the handle so it cleared better.

One thing I do not like about mine is the angle of the PTO shaft when the winch is raised all the way up. I try to remember not to run it when lifted all the way up as I'm sure it will increase wear on the shaft and the bearings output/input.

Bright and early again, but at least it all worked. By the time we had it hooked up, had checked out all the possible calamities, and moved a few things it was dark.....no pictures. The pto shaft fit, no binding throughout the range of movement. When at full raise there aren't any issues with it hitting the tractor. In short, everything works. This evening we'll pull the access plates and check it out and oil/grease whatever needs to be done and check the clutches and brake mechanism. I'm going through it so that not only do I know everything is ready to go but so that my son knows how it all works. That is important to me.

Shea

Bright and early again, but at least it all worked. By the time we had it hooked up, had checked out all the possible calamities, and moved a few things it was dark.....no pictures. The pto shaft fit, no binding throughout the range of movement. When at full raise there aren't any issues with it hitting the tractor. In short, everything works. This evening we'll pull the access plates and check it out and oil/grease whatever needs to be done and check the clutches and brake mechanism. I'm going through it so that not only do I know everything is ready to go but so that my son knows how it all works. That is important to me.

Shea
Don't over lube the chain as lubricant can run onto the clutch material. If the chain looks dry it can be removed, lubricated, let hang to drip off and put back on. The clutch tightening arm and pins doesn't need much grease.
Check owners manual. I lube the cable with a cheap grease.

I actually read the owners manual.....yep, especially the maintenance. From underneath the chain looks good, but I want to open it up and give it a good going over. I also want to measure the clutch pads to verify that they are still in good order. Other than that, just check for any abnormal wear and make sure the cable is in good shape.

Shea

Morewood, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions myself as some of the guys here have some experience with working on the innards of these things.
Since I have had mine it does not want to pull very hard. Everything I have read tells me this thing should lift the front tires right off the ground and that I need to be careful not to get to crazy pulling with the winch. When it pulls it does a great job, but when it doesn't want to pull something it just doesn't do anything, no burning smell, no noise, no nothing, just pulls the cable tight and stops. This does not change even with the engine RPMs way up. I planned on pulling it apart and inspecting it to see what I could and may get into it a little today as I don't need it for a bit and the weather is looking clear tomorrow.
The tractor is a 38hp Kubota L3800 with a
Uniforest 40e winch.
Any help appreciated.20160309_110350.jpg1457540460377.jpg

You should not have any problem stalling the tractor with it.

Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

No, not yet.
Wouldn't you hear or smell something if it was slipping.
Suggestions for how as I do not have the manual. Uniforest rep on the east coast is pretty easy to get a hold of. I talked to them before buying it.

I would say the clutch. The manual says to adjust the pull of the arm and to check the thickness of the clutch pads. I believe mine has to to be 2mm at a minimum. That seems thin, but I will check and adjust. I bet you need to tighten the clutch up, stalling a tractor isn't easy, but could be done.

Shea

Latest posts

Back