Skidding winch for the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't stall the tractor, not even close.
My Norse 400 near the top wind with the engine about 1200 RPM (40hp Diesel) if it hangs up and stops the pull, things jump! It will stall the tractor. Better to keep the engine speed slower and have it stall then to flip the tractor a break something. If the clutch has oil on it slipping will happen, even if you tighten up the clutch.

Thanks guys.
I had some business to take care of and some dishes.
I'm on page 8 of 25, and plan on reading it all. I couldn't find this manual when I bought it so I'm getting my education on it now.
The one problem I see so far is that I don't have a "cardan shaft" lol.
Back to the reading:reading:

Adjusted the clutch and it seemed to pull quite a bit harder once, even bogging the engine a bit, then right back to the same thing. I tightened it more and no real change:(.
The good thing is I felt it pull harder and know that it has more potential. Headed to Toledo for a purchase and then I will do some more reading on it.
Maybe have to tear it down and clean the clutch off?

Adjusted the clutch and it seemed to pull quite a bit harder once, even bogging the engine a bit, then right back to the same thing. I tightened it more and no real change:(.
The good thing is I felt it pull harder and know that it has more potential. Headed to Toledo for a purchase and then I will do some more reading on it.
If the clutch disc or pads are oil soaked likely replacement is the only cure. You can try brake cleaner or carbon tetrachloride (dangerous) to clean the clutch. Is the tractor PTO clutch OK?

See bottom of page 15 of the owners manual.

See bottom of page 15 of the owners manual.
Looks like it may be the clutch needs to be replaced, we'll see when it's tore down.
If the clutch disc or pads are oil soaked likely replacement is the only cure. You can try brake cleaner or carbon tetrachloride (dangerous) to clean the clutch. Is the tractor PTO clutch OK?
I was not aware that there was a pto clutch unless you mean what engages it and that is fine. I can hit 3" hickory with my rotary cutter without a problem, unless you are talking about the slipper clutch that is on the shaft of some implements, which this pto shaft does not have one of those.
Maybe I will tear it apart tomorrow, not sure right now.
Thanks again everyone.

How did you make out with yours @morewood

That's certainly a possibility, that was also in the manual as a possible cause.
I'm sure it will be a beast once fixed. And it will get fixed shortly as I have lots for it to do this summer other than the playing I've done with it here on my property.

You should not have any problem stalling the tractor with it.

Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk
Agreed. I have the same model and it will stall my 76 HP tractor if I don't have the revs high enough sometimes.

Wow, that means it should always be able to stall mine.
Today it did slow the engine a bit, but not like I believe it should.
won't stall it all the time though. Sometimes, the winch will just squeal like a stuck pig instead.

I just figured the same winch on a tractor with half the hp it should stall it everytime if you dont let off when jammed up. If not that my tractor would be getting flung through the air :laugh:

Well another day started too early, but that's work. on a side note, antibiotics work, but have absolutely ruined my stomach for the last week. The winch. Pulled the access plates easy enough, everything looks fairly clean. Drive chain seems lightly lubed and in good order, spool and brake are fine also. Unspooled the cable, only one kink and no other real issues with the cable. I put some weight on the end of the cable and spooled it back in. Used that as a time to work with the son on usage...where to stand, when to let go, why to use the brake at certain times, etc. The only thing not easily accessible is the clutch. Possibly looking from underneath it would be visible, but I would have to put something there to hold it up...safety. Going to make sure it is adjusted and then load the thing on the trailer this evening or tomorrow, going to cut again on Saturday.

Shea

A quick message about the brake. I like it. A simple, mechanical, positive engaging spool brake. I like simple. Nothing against friction type bakes, but this is my preference.

Good Morning shea, and the other guys here.
I'm sure you will be very pleased with that unit. It looks clean enough to eat off, just need a little dish soap lol. When I was looking I could not even find one. I spent over three weeks looking and the one I have was the only one I could find in a 300 mile radius and it just happened to be only 2 hrs away. I was thinking I would have to buy new because they were so scarce. I bought mine for around half the new price and figured I would need to spend a couple hundred to get it going(less than I would have payed for tax). It worked although it has always been under powered.
Similar to you my 8yr old son works right beside me, it's great.
How old is your boy.

I hear you about not finding anything local. This may not have been the closest(988 miles away), but at almost half the cost of new and only two years old I jumped on it. I'm surprised that there isn't a larger market here where I am in the mountains for this type of product. About the boy, he is 10. It's going to be a bummer this weekend, he is going to a science learning center and next weekend he is entered in a math fair. I hate not having my wood buddy with me. Hopefully I can get it loaded this evening after work before the rains come in.

Shea

I hear you about not finding anything local. This may not have been the closest(988 miles away), but at almost half the cost of new and only two years old I jumped on it. I'm surprised that there isn't a larger market here where I am in the mountains for this type of product. About the boy, he is 10. It's going to be a bummer this weekend, he is going to a science learning center and next weekend he is entered in a math fair. I hate not having my wood buddy with me. Hopefully I can get it loaded this evening after work before the rains come in.

Shea
That's a long drive, but how much was it new vs what you paid for it, sure you saved money in the end and that is in such great condition you will be able to use it for as long as you want and relist it for what you have into it including paying yourself for the trip and sell it no problem.
I always say your either making money or saving money. When paying work is slow I "work" hard at saving money, when cash is coming in not so much I try hard not to be cheap when money is glowing in(thats hard work for me, because I'm very cheap:envy: lol).
I think there is a huge market for these winches it is just very untouched because the product is not known/and the cost is somewhat high. I still watch for them and very few come up in my area. I have seen the largest # of them listed in the NE and that's also where the dealer is for uniforest/Hudson is. I have not checked all of Mi. to see who carries the other brands, but I don't know anyone who has one right around me.
Your boy is at a fun age, he can work like a young man and gets what you tell him.
I feel the same way about my little helper.
I look forward to working with him as he is very helpful to me. You will need to teach him how to choke a log so he can run the cable for you;), I have already been showing my boy some of the tricks to it:yes:. I figure if you want to warm yourself by the fire bring a stick:cheers:.
Hopefully he does very well at the science fair and makes his dad even prouder:numberone:

Latest posts

Back